Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 18:35:58 +0100, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 00:09:12 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

Altogether, one, two, three: ANGLEGRINDER!!!

Seriously - and maybe this is what Jim was thinking of - could you slice
through the timber with an anglegrinder in such a direction that
inserting a new splint of wood will give the structure its strength back
and also cut through the shaft of the bolt in such a place that you can
pop each severed half out of there?

But why? Cut a slot in the head, insert screwdriver in slot, hold head while
recessed nut is turned by the socket...

Ah, I geddit now: The head is down the hole...

I'd stick a flat screwdriver down the hole, and try to wedge it between the edge
of the domed head and the wall of the hole, in the hope that the nut won't need
a lot of torque to come off.

Thomas Prufer