Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default How to remove coach bolts

In message , michael
adams writes

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Murmansk Wrote in message:
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden
sofa suspended on
chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end.

The bits of timber are attached with what I think are called coach
bolts - a domed
head with a square bit underneath.

The problem is that the bolts are recessed down a hole. I can turn
the nut with a
socket set but because it's a all a bit rusty and seized up the head
of the bolt turns
as well and I can't get hold of it to stop it because the head is
domed and down a
hole.

Any ideas how I can get hold of the head to stop it turning?

Cut the nut end off ? Angle grinder, hacksaw, multi tool?

Indeed. Or use one of these; £6.50 for the pair

https://www.toolstation.com/nut-splitter-set/p80007

I've never used a nut-splitter before. Even if it doesn't actually crack
the nut, I guess that it might distort it slightly (especially if used
repeatedly at several angles) and break the rust in the threads -
allowing penetrating oil to get in better.

Ian