Old January 10th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 21:08:45 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 10/01/2019 19:55, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:15:24 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Where the h does your brainless boss get these kids?

Old January 10th 19, 10:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 21:23:19 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having
trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new
builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available
as I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

weg

Cheers, T i m
Old January 10th 19, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

"two metres of 4 bay 2"
Old January 10th 19, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 20:23, Michael Chare wrote:
On 10/01/2019 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available
as I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

I am not sure that I would want to use an all metal tool in that
situation, unless I knew the incoming supply was not connected.

I recall some years ago needing to disconnect and and later reconnect
some tails to a henley block. This was an old TN-S install with one of
the dodgy pre-war metal clad main cutouts, with ceramic fuse carriers.
So I did not fancy having to pull the fuse. Normally a quick tail
removal, and replacement on a live henley is easy enough with a set of
VDE screw drivers.

So this time I was a bit distressed to discover the henley terminals
were hex headed, and I did not have an insulated hex driver.

Fortunately I did have some hex bits of the right size and a magnetic
bit holder. So the easiest thing to do was tape up the holder so there
was no exposed metalwork, and then stick it in my (all plastic bodied)
cordless drill and use that!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 10th 19, 11:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 21:08, ARW wrote:

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Understandable, metric has been taught in schools for the past 40+ years.

Old January 10th 19, 11:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Old January 10th 19, 11:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Same place everyone else does, the labour market.

Old January 11th 19, 12:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Old January 11th 19, 12:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 22:55, alan_m wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold
in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

No. It was 4" x 2"

SteveW