Old January 11th 19, 12:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On 10-Jan-19 23:33, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/01/2019 22:55, alan_m wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold
in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

No. It was 4" x 2"

Some people always get the wrong end of the stick.

--
Sam Plusnet

Old January 11th 19, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Yes. Before it was planed.

--

Roger Hayter

Old January 11th 19, 04:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold
in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

In USA.
Old January 11th 19, 04:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold
in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Always been 4 be 2 here.

Old January 11th 19, 04:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 04:14:24 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 21:08:45 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 10/01/2019 19:55, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:15:24 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:
On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:

Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Where the h does your brainless boss get these kids?

They have to get knowledge from somewhere.

If they've got to 16 or 18 without realising there are imperial measurements, I doubt they're about to get any knowledge anywhere.

NT

Old January 11th 19, 04:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:

[...]

And yet Adam says he is on the best of the apprentices
and he clearly did end up with the knowledge eventually.

Old January 11th 19, 08:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having
trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new
builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available
as I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

"two metres of 4 bay 2"

Its sold in 300mm (i.e metric foot) increments starting at 300mmm, so
2.0m is not a standard length. 1.8 or 2.1 would be your choices.

--
Cheers,

John.