Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:14:20 +1100, FMurtz
wrote:
snip

Where the h does your brainless boss get these kids?

They have to get knowledge from somewhere.

I was fortunate to grow up in an environment with a workshop full of
all sorts of (mainly woodworking) tools and a Father who had both
inherited loads and bought more of his own.

I was also 'press ganged' into helping him use them and using them for
him when helping him.

And with my Uncle who did more stuff with / for me, like building my
go-cart for / with me and helping me update / repair it etc.

So, our daughter has grown up being more aware of such things and
often surprises people by the things (tools / processes) she knows
something about.

The, the other day someone held up a brick and asked 'what is this bit
called?', (pointing to the hollow). 'Frog', she replied. ;-)

The problem with being aware of the range of tools available to allow
people to do a job better / easier / quicker is when others don't have
them. ;-(

Like the other day, when helping someone do some engineering work she
asked if they had a (hand) de-burring tool. She asked because I have
one and she has used it quite a bit, not only helping me or me helping
her but on her own projects.

By allowing her to help me (or try stuff) when she asked when she was
young also helps her judge just how difficult a particular job might
be and what the chances are of her (or whoever she is with) being able
to complete it successfully (tools / facilities / materials / skills
etc) now she's older.

As you say they have to learn somewhere. I started off with an
imperial set of feeler gauges and then bought a metric set because the
world was changing that way. Because many of us here *have* lived
though the imperial to metric conversion we are better placed when
dealing with things to be ready for some of the stuff that has come
about historically. 1220mm x 2440mm sheet materials anyone? ;-)

Cheers, T i m