Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I remember that I bought some from Tandy once. There seemed to be a
lot of keys I thought, and as you say, when I checked we had both
imperial and metric. Obviously, Tandy being a US company had sourced
sets with all the keys in all the places it sold.
The keys were fine, but the way of attaching tem to the large ring
they were on was cruddly a kind of coiled spring around the hex ,
which meant you could take them off of course, but it was a sod of a
job to put them back again which in the end meant a lot of them got lost!

Yes those Allen keys on springs are a pain. The best set of Allen keys I
have has them all attached to a common shaft on a hand-sized handle. You
fold out the one you want and have a nice big handle to use to turn it.
I still use the small spring ones if I need to work in a confined space,
but the ones on a handle are much easier for everything else.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NwL238b/Img-1753-small.jpg (that's a photo of the
Allen key set)

Yes it is a real sod trying to fit Allen keys back into their springs.

Easy if you turn the right way,sort of screw them in