Old January 10th 19, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

--
Adam

Old January 10th 19, 08:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

--

Jeff
Old January 10th 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

Torx, not hex?

Old January 10th 19, 08:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 19:10:06 UTC, ARW wrote:
In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Aldi?

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Lefty loosey righty tighty?

Owain

Old January 10th 19, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Holding the short end to tighten up the screws? (i.e. Insufficient
torque...)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 10th 19, 09:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

I am not sure that I would want to use an all metal tool in that
situation, unless I knew the incoming supply was not connected.

--
Michael Chare
Old January 10th 19, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare Wrote in message:
On 10/01/2019 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

I am not sure that I would want to use an all metal tool in that
situation, unless I knew the incoming supply was not connected.

Adam did mention an isolator...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 10th 19, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble
putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as
I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

--
Adam