Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Virgin Media - disabled priority repair

Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been
cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the Virgin
support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for someone so
reliant on the phone/internet to function. House is in a mobile phone
blackspot so that only just works when clamped to the kitchen window
which isn't ideal for someone with limited mobility.

I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority
repair for the disabled but have drawn a blank. BT do have such a
scheme. Any ideas how to speed the repair time up on Virgin?

I am having to report the problem and I don't know my way round Virgin
phone support so I couldn't figure out any way to talk to a human

Given that the neighbours are so awful I am inclined to insist on making
a claim against them for the repair of this damage. Suggestions?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 13:36:40 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been
cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the Virgin
support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for someone so
reliant on the phone/internet to function. House is in a mobile phone
blackspot so that only just works when clamped to the kitchen window
which isn't ideal for someone with limited mobility.

I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority
repair for the disabled but have drawn a blank. BT do have such a
scheme. Any ideas how to speed the repair time up on Virgin?

I am having to report the problem and I don't know my way round Virgin
phone support so I couldn't figure out any way to talk to a human

Given that the neighbours are so awful I am inclined to insist on making
a claim against them for the repair of this damage. Suggestions?

Isn't it just a coaxial cable you can splice yourself???
--

"You are full of ****. You'll never convince any of us real Jews that
by Negros."
- drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish, mocking neo-jew Suzy KKKohen's
attempted 'conversion' to the jew race

- neo-jew 'convert' Suzy KKKohen, mocking drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish's
claim to be a jew
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

HTF is someone who is housebound supposed to splice a cable in a trench
in the ground. I am fifty miles away from the house with the problem.

I think it may well be optical fibre to premises anyway. They have a
superfast internet connection. I'm going up to see them tomorrow.

Anyone know how to talk to a human at Virgin? I am getting thoroughly
sick of fighting their twenty dumb questions dalek "support" line.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

Tried Twitter? Big companies are often much more responsive to
public Twitter messages than to almost any other form of
communication.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin try their sales line, with most companies there is a human there and although they might be ****ed off with you wasting their time when they could be making money more often than not they will transfer you to a human at the appropriate department.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally find a land line subscriber and ask them to ring 151. There is a
landline, probably costly, number on the web site as i recall. The usual
thing is, are you calling from the number whos account is affected, which
nearly always has me in fits of laughter as if I was then the land line
would be working.#

it will be coax and twisted pair normally joined together one beside the
other.
They have not, as far as i know gone optica fibre to the house or indeed
voip for their landlines yet.
To be honest this Thursday sounds pretty good, even bt cannot get that
quick from what I hear from disabled friends.
As you say nobody thinks these things through. Is there a good neighbour
who can help?
They may have a walk about phone they can borrow for a day on their line.
brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I pay something like £1 a month to get priority repairs from BT. It seems worth it to me.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's actually £12 a quarter these days. But worth it.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

it will be coax and twisted pair normally joined together one beside the
other.
They have not, as far as i know gone optica fibre to the house or indeed
voip for their landlines yet.

Brian is correct. There is no need for fibre to the home as
the coax distribution system was built to carry high quality
TV signals up to 750MHz and the internet uses 8MHz wide
channels, as used for TV, with several channels 'bonded' to
get the higher speeds - up to 100Mb but increasing to 200Mb.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey Wrote in message:
In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

it will be coax and twisted pair normally joined together one beside the
other.
They have not, as far as i know gone optica fibre to the house or indeed
voip for their landlines yet.

Brian is correct. There is no need for fibre to the home as
the coax distribution system was built to carry high quality
TV signals up to 750MHz and the internet uses 8MHz wide
channels, as used for TV, with several channels 'bonded' to
get the higher speeds - up to 100Mb but increasing to 200Mb.

But incorrect in as far as use of VOIP. We moved to virgin
recently. Just one coax. No twisted pair. Phone plugs in to
router.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 02/07/2018 16:32, Martin Brown wrote:

Anyone know how to talk to a human at Virgin? I am getting thoroughly
sick of fighting their twenty dumb questions dalek "support" line.

http://www.pleasepress1.com/uk/virgi...ith-a-service/ any use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

Not that it will help much if you are housebound (or if it's fibre), but
when I cut through my cable doing a bit of gardening, they'd only cut a
slot in the ground for it about four inches deep. I soldered it
together, and it worked; but eventually the water got in, and it started
to go crackly. Then I called them, and they repaired it.

I think it may well be optical fibre to premises anyway. They have a
superfast internet connection. I'm going up to see them tomorrow.

Anyone know how to talk to a human at Virgin? I am getting thoroughly
sick of fighting their twenty dumb questions dalek "support" line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

HTF do you expect Virgin to pay for someone else's cockup? At the
very least, the subscriber will get charged for it.
--

"You are full of ****. You'll never convince any of us real Jews that
by Negros."
- drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish, mocking neo-jew Suzy KKKohen's
attempted 'conversion' to the jew race

- neo-jew 'convert' Suzy KKKohen, mocking drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish's
claim to be a jew
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 03/07/18 13:08, jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch
'Barry' Shein's jew aliash) wrote:
"You are full of ****. You'll never convince any of us real Jews that

by Negros."

- drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish, mocking neo-jew Suzy KKKohen's
attempted 'conversion' to the jew race

- neo-jew 'convert' Suzy KKKohen, mocking drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish's
claim to be a jew

I am generally tolerant of all opinions, just not outright stupidity,
but really the above is just too offensive

Consider yourself plonked.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Oh, boo ****ing hoo.
--

"You are full of ****. You'll never convince any of us real Jews that
by Negros."
- drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish, mocking neo-jew Suzy KKKohen's
attempted 'conversion' to the jew race

- neo-jew 'convert' Suzy KKKohen, mocking drug-****ed jew wannabe Y-chi Netfish's
claim to be a jew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 July 2018 13:36:45 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been
cut by cowboy builders working next door.
Given that the neighbours are so awful I am inclined to insist on making
a claim against them for the repair of this damage. Suggestions?

Claim directly from the builders.

Fixed Cellular Terminals might let you put a FCT somewhere with good signal and run a cable to relative's existing phone (or care alarm)

This one's very cheap. Others are about £100-150
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322889547688

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority repair for the
disabled but have drawn a blank.

According to their T&C the following applies

quote

"Priority fault repair: We understand how important it is to be contactable and have
the ability to contact others. So when it comes to faults with your phone, we give
priority to special needs customers who have an urgent need of repair. To make
use of this service, we ask customers with special needs to pre-register their
requirements with us. Just give our Customer Care team a call.

[however}

Just to let you know, priority fault repair is not available for Broadband and TV faults

/quote

http://store.virginmedia.com/content...ode-jan-11.pdf

However if the landline is on the same connection as the broadband and tv - as it
presumably will be in a number of cases then its difficult to know the reason
for this last exclusion.

Which clearly does *not" apply in this case.

If they'd said "where there is no landline provision priority fault repair is not
available...."

then fair enough.

But they didn't.

Branson may only have a peripheral connection with them nowadays but old habits
built up over 50 years of serial deception, bull****, outright lies and tax
avoidance are still par for the course with Virgin.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 02/07/2018 18:16, michael adams wrote:
[...]

I guess the problem I am having is that I cannot find a way through the
voicemail maze of twisty little passages all alike that allows me to
speak to a human nor can I find the application form for priority repair
anywhere on their site. Their sitemap and indexing is complete crap.

Most of the hits I get on Google searches are by people who have the
facility complaining that it doesn't work - which doesn't bode well.

Anyway I will get to see the problem first hand tomorrow night.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/07/2018 21:22, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Take some strip connector and a bit of BT cable and some coax with you a
temp repair is 10 minutes.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2018 21:31, ARW wrote:
On 02/07/2018 21:22, Martin Brown wrote:

I guess the problem I am having is that I cannot find a way through
the voicemail maze of twisty little passages all alike that allows me
to speak to a human nor can I find the application form for priority
repair anywhere on their site. Their sitemap and indexing is complete
crap.

Most of the hits I get on Google searches are by people who have the
facility complaining that it doesn't work - which doesn't bode well.

Anyway I will get to see the problem first hand tomorrow night.

Take some strip connector and a bit of BT cable and some coax with you a
temp repair is 10 minutes.

Thanks.

I have a feeling that I may need a razor blade, water clear epoxy and a
fibre splicing jig. I have never mended an optical fibre before. If it
is coax then I am sure I can do a temp fix that will last 'til Thursday.

I'm also taking a MiFi with external high gain antenna which should work
to get net connectivity again even in this grotty no signal location. It
was thoroughly alarming to get an incoming call from his emergency
backup mobile only to lose connection immediately after "Hello" and then
not to be able to re-establish any contact for some time.

Incidentally has anyone ever found a passive mobile phone signal coupler
that actually works? I got one from a reputable supplier who I won't
name but it didn't work and they stopped stocking it soon afterwards (I
didn't really expect it to but I though it was worth a punt).

That is something like:

High gain yagi on roof - moderate length of coax - coupler | phone

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes

I have a feeling that I may need a razor blade, water clear epoxy and a
fibre splicing jig. I have never mended an optical fibre before.

If it is the sort of fibre that carries cable TV and internet signals,
you'll need something a lot more sophisticated than that.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/07/2018 21:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/07/2018 21:31, ARW wrote:
[...]

AFAIK Virgin do not do fibre to the house. It's only fibre to the
nearest cabinet.

I would love to see a photo of a Virgin media cable in a trench (with
ducting for the full money shot) instead of been hidden behind a blade
of grass.

What I do know is that most Virgin media services can be restored with
strip connector and a bit of cable.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article Cr2dnYUWH-
, mjadams25
@mjadams25.plus.com says...

According to their T&C the following applies

quote

Just to let you know, priority fault repair is not available for Broadband and TV faults

/quote

http://store.virginmedia.com/content...ode-jan-11.pdf

However if the landline is on the same connection as the broadband and tv - as it
presumably will be in a number of cases then its difficult to know the reason
for this last exclusion.

They are not 'on the same connection' - they are completely
separate, even if the two cables are bonded together.

The TV/Broadband is FTTC, then broadband RF distribution
wheras the telephony is also FTTC (but a different one,
usually (but not essential) adjacent to the CATV cabinet, then
twisted pair to the customer

However, as the broadband and telephony are both routed around
the local area to the same cabinets for the final connection
to the customer, it might appear vto the uninitiated that they
are 'the same connection'.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jeff" wrote in message news
[...]

Read it again!

It actually says that it is not available for *Broadband and TV faults* NOT that is not
available for Phone faults where there is also Broadband and TV supplied.

Indeed ! That's exactly the point I'm making . Why isn't that spelled out in the
T'Cs ?

As with anything to do with Branson the T&C's are deliberately opaque,

So that all the non intellectuals out there, unlike yourself obviously, despite having
landlines
might wrongly assume that because their landline is bundled with Broadband and TV the
condotion might also apply to them.

Richard Branson's whole fortune is based on people making such incorrect assumptions.
So that in the early days when they bought a record in Virgin they assumed the price
included purchase tax which Branson passed on to the Govt. When in fact it went straight
into Branson's pocket. As he'd fooled MHC into believing he'd already exported all the
records he was selling in his shops basically by booking into Dover Customs filling
out all the forms and then driving out again and back to London. The fact that daddy
was a barrister came in very useful to Richard at this point.

As it happens Jeff you're the second person posting on this NG using the name "Jeff".

Howver the posting headers might seem to suggest that you're not the same person.

Not that that other poster is actually "Jeff" either.

As a matter of interest have you posted much on this NG before ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 03/07/2018 12:24, michael adams wrote:
8

As with anything to do with Branson the T&C's are deliberately opaque,

Shame its got nothing to do with Branson though.

Other than licensing the brand from the brand holding company.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 03/07/2018 12:24, michael adams wrote:
8

As with anything to do with Branson the T&C's are deliberately opaque,

Shame its got nothing to do with Branson though.
Other than licensing the brand from the brand holding company.

Indeed; which accords with what I posted earlier in this very thread

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Branson may only have a peripheral connection with them nowadays.......
but old habits built up over 50 years of serial deception, bull****, outright lies and
tax avoidance
are still par for the course with Virgin.

It's all part of the Branson "brand legacy". Some people see the positives the smiling
informality with the sweaters and the jeans; while others see the negatives - a chronic
late-paying tax-dodging bull**** artist.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
djc djc is offline

On 02/07/18 13:36, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been
cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the Virgin
support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for someone so
reliant on the phone/internet to function. House is in a mobile phone
blackspot so that only just works when clamped to the kitchen window
which isn't ideal for someone with limited mobility.

I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority
repair for the disabled but have drawn a blank. BT do have such a
scheme. Any ideas how to speed the repair time up on Virgin?

I am having to report the problem and I don't know my way round Virgin
phone support so I couldn't figure out any way to talk to a human

Given that the neighbours are so awful I am inclined to insist on making
a claim against them for the repair of this damage. Suggestions?

Good luck, when the trench for a new gas main cut through my Virgin
cable it was still not repaired six months later. The only sure way to
get a human is to say you ae cancelling the contract, that will get you
through to 'retention' where I nice helpful person really will do all
they can to fix it. Unfortunately the work order will then go into
Virgin's job scheduling system so a month later you will be talking to
that nice lady in 'retention' all over again.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 02/07/2018 13:36, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been
cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the Virgin
support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for someone so
reliant on the phone/internet to function. House is in a mobile phone
blackspot so that only just works when clamped to the kitchen window
which isn't ideal for someone with limited mobility.

Virgin are terrible I don't think you can expect any level of service.

Is the house in a mobile black spot for all mobile companies? Maybe
changing mobile sim could fix the problem.

Even if the black spot is for all mobile networks you may get reasonable
reception using a signal booster with external antenna, in which case it
may be a good idea to install one as a precaution against Virgin Media
delays fixing the problem and/or future outages.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 02/07/2018 23:34, Pancho wrote:
On 02/07/2018 13:36, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has
been cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the
Virgin support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for
someone so reliant on the phone/internet to function. House is in a
mobile phone blackspot so that only just works when clamped to the
kitchen window which isn't ideal for someone with limited mobility.

Virgin are terrible I don't think you can expect any level of service.

Is the house in a mobile black spot for all mobile companies? Maybe
changing mobile sim could fix the problem.

I am not sure about all, but I intend to try some random other carrier
SIMs and set my phone to scan for all signals. I know that there is
absolutely no indoor coverage for EE or Three which is a bit bizarre
because it isn't that far out of central Newcastle and up on a hillside.

But then mobile reception is a bit weird I know of another deadspot that
seems to have perfectly good line of sight to a mast and no signal.

Even if the black spot is for all mobile networks you may get reasonable
reception using a signal booster with external antenna, in which case it
may be a good idea to install one as a precaution against Virgin Media
delays fixing the problem and/or future outages.

ISTR some mobile firms provide nanocell devices but don't they piggyback
the internet connection and it is that failing I am trying to guard
against. I do have a passive coupler but it proved to be useless even in
combination with a very good antenna pointed at a mast. The phone showed
no signal improvement with or without the coupler under it.

My best bet as an alternative if I can't patch the cable in the trench
(and I have no idea how badly damaged it is) is to give him one of my
MiFi devices with an external antenna and point it at the nearest mast.
At least with it being so dry there shouldn't be any water in it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 09:11:21 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I am not sure about all, but I intend to try some random other carrier
SIMs and set my phone to scan for all signals.

There are only four Network Operators, O2, EE, Vodafone and Three.
All the service providers use one of those, for example GiffGaff are
on O2, Asda Mobile and (old) TPO on EE. Do a bit of home work on
which network(s) your SIM operators are using...

I know that there is absolutely no indoor coverage for EE or Three which
is a bit bizarre because it isn't that far out of central Newcastle and
up on a hillside.

Three doesn't surprise me. EE has an indoor signal here but it's not
good enough to make a phone call. EE are the only network to offer
4G, O2 are 2G! Be aware that even if the network operator offers say
4G where you are, your SIM operator might not. The various network
operator coverage maps aren't too bad these days.

I do have a passive coupler but it proved to be useless even in
combination with a very good antenna pointed at a mast. The phone showed
no signal improvement with or without the coupler under it.

A mast with a cell from the relevant network operator?

My best bet as an alternative if I can't patch the cable in the trench
(and I have no idea how badly damaged it is)

Other posts have it as a spade straight through, should be easy to do
with a length of CW1308 "telephone cable". I'd reveal enough of the
virgin cable to have it on the surface and join the two ends, wire
for wire, by simply striping and twisting together to the CW1308. Bit
of insulation tape and stuff the lot into an open plastic bag to keep
the rain off. Keep the bag open otherwise condensation will be a
probelm.

... is to give him one of my MiFi devices with an external antenna and
point it at the nearest mast.

"Nearest mast" might not be the one you want, you want the one giving
the best signal and data rate for the relevant network operator. Note
"and data rate", I have feeling that not all cells from a given
network provider that can be received from a given location all offer
the same data service.

Long term I'd serously look at BT, for at least landline provision.
BT Total Care is £4/month extra but offers faults fixed within 24
hours of reporting 365/days/year, daytime only so you won't get an
enginer knocking on the door at 0230 (but you can get that if you
want it). In my experience they do jump and fix things within the 24
hours. They've even pulled an engineer off another job 40 miles away
when the 1st one couldn't fix one fault... Depending on how
ill/housebound your friend is this might be available for free via
"Free Priority Fault Repair Scheme".

BT keep quiet about the Line Rental Save Discount, pay up front for
11 months, no refunds, get 12 months service. If you get in before
the line rental price rise (due soon ish) you'll side step that until
your LRS ends.

BT also offer other reduced line rentals, try looking for BT Basic.
Donno if you can get Total Care on BT Basic though, you can get
broadband though, which ought to be from any ISP not just BT Internet
(which is what BT push of course).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Long term I'd serously look at BT, for at least landline provision.
BT Total Care is £4/month extra but offers faults fixed within 24
hours of reporting 365/days/year, daytime only so you won't get an
enginer knocking on the door at 0230 (but you can get that if you
want it). In my experience they do jump and fix things within the 24
hours. They've even pulled an engineer off another job 40 miles away
when the 1st one couldn't fix one fault... Depending on how
ill/housebound your friend is this might be available for free via
"Free Priority Fault Repair Scheme".

Umm .. had this mail from one of our customers the other day amusing
reading;!..

Tony

Broadband now back with us after nightmare 36 hours! Openreach pulled a
wire out that they couldn't replace when fixing someone else's fault and
then pushed off saying we need to report a fault. Words fail me.

BT keep quiet about the Line Rental Save Discount, pay up front for
11 months, no refunds, get 12 months service. If you get in before
the line rental price rise (due soon ish) you'll side step that until
your LRS ends.

BT also offer other reduced line rentals, try looking for BT Basic.
Donno if you can get Total Care on BT Basic though, you can get
broadband though, which ought to be from any ISP not just BT Internet
(which is what BT push of course).

--
Cheers
Dave.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 23:13:52 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Broadband now back with us after nightmare 36 hours! Openreach pulled a
wire out that they couldn't replace when fixing someone else's fault and
then pushed off saying we need to report a fault. Words fail me.

I wonder what "pulled a wire out" means? Did POTS stay working? if
they pulled the jumpers looping the line through the fibre cabinet
and reused that VDSL port for some one elses broadband, they'd have
to find and get configured another VDSL port. That would require
things going through the proper channels. Bit more than what happens
here when the line goes off.

More than once I've got in the car driven the 1/2 mile or so that
covers the section of ali cable that always gives problems, found
Openreach chap, had a gentle word and the line comes back. Once or
twice they've lent me thier tone sender to plug in to make it easier
to find the jelly bean with fractured wire. That sort of depends on
how many of the half dozen or more joint posts/chambers they've been
into in that half mile.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 03/07/2018 23:13, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Round here on a good day they break one working circuit for every four
that they try to mend and failures are common. It used to be worse. The
old copper is fragile but the regular engineers are more careful now.

At one point they had to *bus* extra engineers in from Lancashire (shock
horror) to fix a large number of line faults round here.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority
repair for the disabled but have drawn a blank. BT do have such a
scheme. Any ideas how to speed the repair time up on Virgin?

Now must be the time to change to BT, then. If they offer a better service
for your relation's needs.

--
*Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I have tried and failed to see if Virgin implement any kind of priority
repair for the disabled but have drawn a blank. BT do have such a
scheme. Any ideas how to speed the repair time up on Virgin?

Now must be the time to change to BT, then. If they offer a better service
for your relation's needs.

FWIW we've had Virgin formerly Comcast here sine 1996 in all that time
prolly been off once a year but apart from Two occasions been fixed back
online within less than an hour.

Other occasions are when they had some big router fail and good old
Padrig went over the top with his digger and buggered a mains cable that
put most of the area out so no power anyway..

Apart from that 220 Meg down here always seems faster than the other
VDSL services we have at some other locations...

As to service their a Telco - what more do you need to know;?.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
FWIW we've had Virgin formerly Comcast here sine 1996 in all that time
prolly been off once a year but apart from Two occasions been fixed back
online within less than an hour.

Other occasions are when they had some big router fail and good old
Padrig went over the top with his digger and buggered a mains cable that
put most of the area out so no power anyway..

Apart from that 220 Meg down here always seems faster than the other
VDSL services we have at some other locations...

As to service their a Telco - what more do you need to know;?.

Interesting here that their near weekly glossy letters trying to sell me
their service seem to have stopped. I'd love to know how much money they
wasted on that sort of thing.

This street was cabled for Virgin early on. Quite noticeable is all or
most of their scruffy street cabinets with doors swinging open. And wires
hanging off. Wish the council would remove them. Same as anything untidy
left on a pavement. ;-)

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Back in the day there were differing Cable TV companies some were much
better than others in their installation standards but IIRC London was
far from the best, perhaps terry casey will know more?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
says...

Back in the day there were differing Cable TV companies some were much
better than others in their installation standards but IIRC London was
far from the best, perhaps terry casey will know more?..

All the companies that I had any invovement with used
contractors, both for construction and installation.

The difference was that the cable operator employed inspectors
to keep tab of what was going on in the construction phase but
there was no control whatsoever over the installation crews.

The contractors were supposed to have their own supervisors
but they never seemed to pay any attention to the quality of
the work which was, as has already been said, in the main,
diabolical.

From what Adam has said, the situation is no different in the
North East and what little I've seen in Lincoln is no better.

What I will say is that I haven't seen any open cabinets up
here - whhich a pity as I would have taken a peek inside to
see what Diamond Cable's network construction was like!

I have worked in Lincoln a couple of times but only in the
headend, doing internet upgrade work.

I've spent more time in the Nottingham headend where the way
additional racks have been shoe-horned into impossible spaces
would giva an H & S inspector a coronary! (Solid floor - all
cabling is overhead, often in places where it is impossible to
(safely) use a ladder!)

--

Terry

---