Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External CD/DVD drive

A friend has a need for a high speed external drive to read CD's as fast
as possible. It plugs into a Raspberry Pi based device and we are not
confident of the usb power available.

He bought a non-usb powered LG GE24NU40 from Amazon UK, which was
shipped from the USA. After about 2 weeks it has failed. He called
Amazon, who said it would have to be posted back to Kentucky at his
cost. If they agreed it was faulty, his costs would be refunded.
The Post Office have told him the postage cost would be over £20, so he
is now considering his options.

He has tried an external usb powered drive, but that is nowhere the same
speed and looking at the drive in it, it is the same model as in my
ancient Lenovo T410 laptop. The LG drive is rated at 48x for CD's.

I have had him check the psu that came with the drive, and it is rated
for 110 to 240 volts. The drawer opens and closes, but no CD's are
detected. I have got him looking for his CD cleaning disk.

I suggested he looked for a UK source of a similar drive, but no-one
seems to sell anything but usb powered ones now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent high speed non-usb powered
external drive? I don't want to suggest buying a case and internal
drive, as I'd have to drive over to him to assemble it.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/18 16:27, Bill wrote:
[...]

Why not use a linux PC and network it to the Pi? :-)

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Why not use a linux PC and network it to the Pi? :-)

Why Linux?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If he bought the drive through Amazon UK then his contract is with them and he should send it back and get a refund. If Amazon choose to ship products direct from a manufacturer that is their problem not his. If he has somehow managed to make a purchase from Amazon US then it is "caveat emptor" I am afraid.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

A friend has a need for a high speed external drive to read CD's as fast
as possible. It plugs into a Raspberry Pi based device

is this the brennan player again?

He bought a non-usb powered LG GE24NU40 from Amazon UK, which was
shipped from the USA. After about 2 weeks it has failed. He called
Amazon, who said it would have to be posted back to Kentucky at his
cost. If they agreed it was faulty, his costs would be refunded.
The Post Office have told him the postage cost would be over £20, so he
is now considering his options.

sounds like it was sold *on* amazon, but not sold *by* amazon.

He has tried an external usb powered drive, but that is nowhere the same
speed and looking at the drive in it, it is the same model as in my
ancient Lenovo T410 laptop. The LG drive is rated at 48x for CD's.

48x is about 7.5 megabytes/sec, USB2 speed it 60megabytes/sec, so even
with the rPi's single USB hub bottleneck, it ought to handlre reading as
fast as the drive can, where's it getting written to? if it's network or
another USB disk, that's got to get through the same single bottleneck too.

I have had him check the psu that came with the drive, and it is rated
for 110 to 240 volts. The drawer opens and closes, but no CD's are
detected. I have got him looking for his CD cleaning disk.

Do you mean no CD's are detected, or no CD drives are detected,

boot the Pi, do a "dmesg -c" plug in the USB CD, then do another dmesg,
and see if you get messages about /dev/sdc being detected and used as a
CD drive etc.

I suggested he looked for a UK source of a similar drive, but no-one
seems to sell anything but usb powered ones now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent high speed non-usb powered
external drive? I don't want to suggest buying a case and internal
drive, as I'd have to drive over to him to assemble it.

Get a microSATA (9+7pin) to SATA (15+7) splitter and take the power from
something else with e.g. a 4 pin molex connector and the data from the 7
pin SATA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 16:27, Bill wrote:
[...]

Why not use a USB-powered drive, connected to the Pi via a powered hub?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 16:53, Roger Mills wrote:
On 07/06/2018 16:27, Bill wrote:
[...]

That's what I would have thought - or even try one of those Y-USB 2-1
leads. My cheap but effective Samsung USB portable drive is only rated
at 24x for CD, though, which if similar might not be enough for the OP.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

A friend has a need for a high speed external drive to read CD's as fast
as possible. It plugs into a Raspberry Pi based device

is this the brennan player again?

Yes. It has now been back to the manufacturer at least 3 times. Once
because it fell off the shelf.

He bought a non-usb powered LG GE24NU40 from Amazon UK, which was
shipped from the USA. After about 2 weeks it has failed. He called
Amazon, who said it would have to be posted back to Kentucky at his
cost. If they agreed it was faulty, his costs would be refunded.
The Post Office have told him the postage cost would be over £20, so he
is now considering his options.

sounds like it was sold *on* amazon, but not sold *by* amazon.

The ad on Amazon UK says "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon US.
Purchase is subject to separate terms and conditions. ". He has also
looked at the conditions for its return. It has to be posted within AIUI
2 days.

He has tried an external usb powered drive, but that is nowhere the same
speed and looking at the drive in it, it is the same model as in my
ancient Lenovo T410 laptop. The LG drive is rated at 48x for CD's.

48x is about 7.5 megabytes/sec, USB2 speed it 60megabytes/sec, so even
with the rPi's single USB hub bottleneck, it ought to handlre reading
as fast as the drive can, where's it getting written to? if it's
network or another USB disk, that's got to get through the same single
bottleneck too.

It is writing to the internal hard drive on sda1 . I don't think this is
usb in any form.

I have had him check the psu that came with the drive, and it is rated
for 110 to 240 volts. The drawer opens and closes, but no CD's are
detected. I have got him looking for his CD cleaning disk.

Do you mean no CD's are detected, or no CD drives are detected,

boot the Pi, do a "dmesg -c" plug in the USB CD, then do another dmesg,
and see if you get messages about /dev/sdc being detected and used as a
CD drive etc.

The drive seems to be detected as sr0, It seems to throw out some data
about itself. On 2 tries, one said 24x, the other 48x. This is all done
via Teamviewer and PuTTY, and he has to balance the various items on his
knee, so not ideal. The caddy opens and closes as expected, but the
drive doesn't spin up

The same thing happens if he plugs it into his PC. The drive is seen but
no music ever plays. I think it has failed. He still hasn't found the
cleaning disk, but points out that the drive never spins up, so that
can't work.

I suggested he looked for a UK source of a similar drive, but no-one
seems to sell anything but usb powered ones now.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent high speed non-usb
powered
external drive? I don't want to suggest buying a case and internal
drive, as I'd have to drive over to him to assemble it.

Get a microSATA (9+7pin) to SATA (15+7) splitter and take the power
from something else with e.g. a 4 pin molex connector and the data from
the 7 pin SATA

I think that is beyond what he and I want to do.

We both really want to find a basic non-usb powered drive.
This drive was ripping CD's in 3 minutes as against 20 to 30 minutes via
the usb powerd drive or the internal CD drive.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

It is writing to the internal hard drive on sda1 . I don't think this is
usb in any form.

Well a Pi doesn't have SATA, so it's probably via another USB-SATA adapter.

Do you mean no CD's are detected, or no CD drives are detected,

boot the Pi, do a "dmesg -c" plug in the USB CD, then do another dmesg,
and see if you get messages about /dev/sdc being detected and used as a
CD drive etc.

The drive seems to be detected as sr0

sounds good.

The caddy opens and closes as expected, but the
drive doesn't spin up
The same thing happens if he plugs it into his PC. The drive is seen but
no music ever plays. I think it has failed.

I'd agree, whether it's worth burning £20 to send it back, or just get
another one for £10, I presume it's a laptop/slim one (don't think I've
ever seen a USB powered desktop full-size one) then again, can't see
many slim 48X only full sized.

I think that is beyond what he and I want to do.

We both really want to find a basic non-usb powered drive.

Is he happy to use a full-size drive? got a spare ATX PSU, just short
green to black one the 20/24 pin plug so the PSU starts up, and power
the drive with a molex lead ... might get fun balancing it all on his
knee though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH writes
On 07/06/2018 16:53, Roger Mills wrote:
Why not use a USB-powered drive, connected to the Pi via a powered
hub?

That's what I would have thought - or even try one of those Y-USB 2-1
leads. My cheap but effective Samsung USB portable drive is only rated
at 24x for CD, though, which if similar might not be enough for the OP.

There is something weird about the device the Raspberry Pi is in. It has
USB's A, B and C, all on the back panel. The manufacturer's
instructions seem to be to avoid B, and try A or C to find the one the
CD detects.

I know nothing about Raspberry Pi's, so don't know whether this would be
normal or not.

We may try a powered hub, but this is a unit that sits discreetly in the
lounge, so many more wires might tip his long-suffering wife over the
line.

To TNP- We have tried ripping to a PC and then moving over the network,
but this proved too complicated for my elderly but sprightly non
technical friend.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Well a Pi doesn't have SATA, so it's probably via another USB-SATA adapter.

Do you mean no CD's are detected, or no CD drives are detected,

boot the Pi, do a "dmesg -c" plug in the USB CD, then do another dmesg,
and see if you get messages about /dev/sdc being detected and used as a
CD drive etc.

The drive seems to be detected as sr0

sounds good.

The caddy opens and closes as expected, but the
drive doesn't spin up
The same thing happens if he plugs it into his PC. The drive is seen but
no music ever plays. I think it has failed.

I'd agree, whether it's worth burning £20 to send it back, or just get
another one for £10, I presume it's a laptop/slim one (don't think I've
ever seen a USB powered desktop full-size one) then again, can't see
many slim 48X only full sized.

I've just tried dmesg-c on a Linux Mint laptop here when plugging in my
Samsung external usb powered drive. After the drive parameters there are
two lines saying "Attached sr0" and attached something else. On his
Brennan dmesg -c, there was no sign of anything being attached.

I think he is resigned to sending it back and risking the £20. It is a
full sized drive, and that is what he is trying to find. My quick search
hasn't found anything - not even a caddy to put an internal 5.25 drive
in. Everything now seems geared to the low profile slower drives.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 16:41, GB wrote:

Why not use a linux PC and network it to the Pi? :-)

Why Linux?

Presumably because the Raspberry Pi runs Linux and networking two Linux
machines together is both simple and fast.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 20:34, Steve Walker wrote:
On 07/06/2018 16:41, GB wrote:

Why not use a linux PC and network it to the Pi? :-)

Why Linux?

Presumably because the Raspberry Pi runs Linux and networking two Linux
machines together is both simple and fast.

SteveW

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pi can't run the drive at full speed
anyway. It can't run anything else at full speed not even on the 3b+ I have.
They are nice devices but quick they ain't.

anyway..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITC22031-5-...EOI/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DRW-24...Q/ref=sr_1_8_m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 19:09, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Well a Pi doesn't have SATA, so it's probably via another USB-SATA
adapter.

Do you mean no CD's are detected, or no CD drives are detected,

boot the Pi, do a "dmesg -c" plug in the USB CD, then do another dmesg,
and see if you get messages about /dev/sdc being detected and used as a
CD drive etc.
Â*The drive seems to be detected as sr0

sounds good.

[...]

£13.99 on amazon.co.uk.
cheaper than sending it back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 21:31, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/06/2018 19:09, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
[...]

forgot link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiteOn-IHAS...s=internal+dvd

There are loads of them.

Are you confused because it says 24x?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pi can't run the drive at full speed
anyway. It can't run anything else at full speed not even on the 3b+ I
have.
They are nice devices but quick they ain't.

anyway..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITC22031-5-...sure-suitable-
5-25-IDE/dp/B000YX7EOI/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DRW-24...Q/ref=sr_1_8_m

Thanks for the pointer to that enclosure. That didn't come up in my
searches. I had seen one or two more expensive ones priced from over
£50 upwards, which seemed excessive.

Internal drives are not the problem and I know that many of the 24x
writers will read CD's at up to 48x.

With his failed drive all I can say is that until it died he says it did
read a CD in 3 minutes as against 10 to 30 minutes on his 2 smaller
drives.

I am not sure why there is such a speed difference, maybe bigger cache
or just better read quality. I don't know whether his device has any
check of the quality of each rip. I do know that in tests on a laptop
here, dbPoweramp is quicker than EAC, which I understand is because
dbPoweramp just checks quality against a database, rather than making
multiple passes to check for consistency.

He is going to post the drive back tomorrow, hope for the cash refund in
the fullness of time, and probably will order another of the same type
again from Amazon. He is hoping he just got a bad one.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
That's what I would have thought - or even try one of those Y-USB 2-1
leads. My cheap but effective Samsung USB portable drive is only rated
at 24x for CD, though, which if similar might not be enough for the OP.

Either one of those Y cables:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STARTECH-CO...p/B0047AALS0/r
(versions with different connectors available)

or a SATA DVD drive in a powered case, for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...p/292567473829
taking the second USB cable to a mains-plug USB supply, eg from Poundland

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not get a powered usb hub and then there will be no issue with power
from the usb.
Not sure what you mean about rated 110v, that would be silly in this
country and would probably go bang when you plugged it in. I do feel a
little more pressure at Amazon might convince them its their problem unless
he bought it from a marketplace vendor not in the UK of course. always pays
to look at the supplier name in the checkout you know, it normally says
supplied and sold by bloggs inc of china or something rather than the usual
Amazon info.
The fact is it should not fail in such a short time.
I was going to mention that 52X is the fastest accurate reading speed you
can expect and thus 48 seems not too bad. Some music cds seem to keep
throttling back and retrying so one supposes these do not like being read
fast.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/18 16:41, GB wrote:

Why not use a linux PC and network it to the Pi? :-)

Why Linux?

Easier to network to a linux based Pi..

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

Brian, he has decided what to do now, so this is just to reply to your
points.
1. I suggested he tried a powered usb hub. He found one, but not the
correct cables. Meanwhile, I read some adverts for external slimline usb
drives that stated they may not work via an external hub. I have no idea
why this may be.

2. The reference to 110 volts was in the context of this being supplied
by Amazon US and coming with an American plug. I was getting him to
check that the psu did state 240 volts as well as the native 110.
It appears that if you place an order with Amazon UK for an item
supplied by Amazon US, you are hit by a bunch of different terms and
conditions. One specific condition in this case was that the item was
not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. All this was a surprise to
me, and to him.

3. He is hoping that he will get a refund if it is agreed it has failed.
One just hopes that Amazon in Kentucky does actually test it and agree.

4. Yes, the 52x max speed seems to ring a bell here, and 48x seems to be
a reasonable expectation for a 5.25" drive. But all the slimline drives,
as currently available in external cases, seem to max out at 24x.

This threw up a lot of interesting things I had never thought about. I
do wonder whether Amazon's t & c's comply with British law in this case,
but I'll leave that up to him to worry about..
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 16:27, Bill wrote:
[...]

If he got a powered USB hub, then he could use any USB powered drive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo
writes
or a SATA DVD drive in a powered case, for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...VD-ROM-DVD-Dri
ve-Caddy-Cover-Case-Notebook-Laptop/292567473829 taking the second USB
cable to a mains-plug USB supply, eg from Poundland

My worry about recommending this is that he is using this with a hard
disk storage device that's part of and hooked into his hi-fi system. I'm
used to the shash caused by laptop psu's and would be wary of any
Poundland electronics from this pov.
And also the slimline drives only seem to be half the speed of the full
sized drives.
He is in his 80's and is hoping to HD-ise all his huge collection of
CD's before he gets old, so speed is crucial. He has about 1TB of flac
files stored the last time I looked, and is about half way.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2018 23:43, Bill wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pi can't run the drive at full speed
anyway. It can't run anything else at full speed not even on the 3b+ I
have.
They are nice devices but quick they ain't.

anyway..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITC22031-5-...sure-suitable-
5-25-IDE/dp/B000YX7EOI/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DRW-24...Q/ref=sr_1_8_m

Thanks for the pointer to that enclosure. That didn't come up in my
searches. I had seen one or two more expensive ones priced from over
£50 upwards, which seemed excessive.

Internal drives are not the problem and I know that many of the 24x
writers will read CD's at up to 48x.

If you can find one of the one of the Optiarc DVD/CD writers, then the
are very quick handling CDs - also particularly so on audio extraction
which lets down many of the drives which are quick reading data CDs.

I have some of the 7240S drives and they will rip an *audio* CD in about
3 mins using EAC.

With his failed drive all I can say is that until it died he says it did
read a CD in 3 minutes as against 10 to 30 minutes on his 2 smaller drives.

I am not sure why there is such a speed difference, maybe bigger cache
or just better read quality. I don't know whether his device has any
check of the quality of each rip. I do know that in tests on a laptop
here, dbPoweramp is quicker than EAC, which I understand is because
dbPoweramp just checks quality against a database, rather than making
multiple passes to check for consistency.

He is going to post the drive back tomorrow, hope for the cash refund in
the fullness of time, and probably will order another of the same type
again from Amazon. He is hoping he just got a bad one.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

He is in his 80's and is hoping to HD-ise all his huge collection of
CD's before he gets old

Send them to Russ, where presumably the 18 year old virgins are given
the day off from rubbing silver mains leads on their thighs and asked to
lick your CDs clean before upscaling everything to 24bit 96kHz and
returning it to you on a gold-plated USB stick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2018 11:39, Bill wrote:

This threw up a lot of interesting things I had never thought about. I
do wonder whether Amazon's t & c's comply with British law in this case,
but I'll leave that up to him to worry about..

I suggest he doesn't worry about it, just learns the lesson. It is,
broadly speaking, open to consumers and traders to pick the law of any
country to govern their contracts. Amazon make very clear that when
buying from the Global Store "the sale takes place in the U.S.;
therefore, subject to the laws and regulations of the U.S." So he'd
need to find a way to bring the sale within one of the exceptions (eg
for a contract with a close connection to the UK).

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Theo
writes
or a SATA DVD drive in a powered case, for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...VD-ROM-DVD-Dri
ve-Caddy-Cover-Case-Notebook-Laptop/292567473829 taking the second USB
cable to a mains-plug USB supply, eg from Poundland

My worry about recommending this is that he is using this with a hard disk
storage device that's part of and hooked into his hi-fi system. I'm used
to the shash caused by laptop psu's and would be wary of any Poundland
electronics from this pov.
And also the slimline drives only seem to be half the speed of the full
sized drives.
He is in his 80's and is hoping to HD-ise all his huge collection of CD's
before he gets old, so speed is crucial. He has about 1TB of flac files
stored the last time I looked, and is about half way.

Then it would be better to use a discarded desktop than a pi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 08/06/2018 11:39, Bill wrote:

This threw up a lot of interesting things I had never thought about. I do
wonder whether Amazon's t & c's comply with British law in this case, but
I'll leave that up to him to worry about..

I suggest he doesn't worry about it, just learns the lesson. It is,
broadly speaking, open to consumers and traders to pick the law of any
country to govern their contracts. Amazon make very clear that when buying
from the Global Store "the sale takes place in the U.S.; therefore,
subject to the laws and regulations of the U.S."

Just because they claim that doesnt mean its true. I bet the EU doesnt
agree
about that and may well force Amazon to get their act into gear on that.

So he'd need to find a way to bring the sale within one of the exceptions
(eg for a contract with a close connection to the UK).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2018 12:10, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2018 23:43, Bill wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
[...]

About 6 minutes using iTunes and a portable USB2 Samsung drive on a
reasonably quick computer.

Either way, it's going to be a long haul ripping (maybe) 500 CDs. Then
there's hoping they're in decent condition and copy over nicely,
catalogued and gaplessed correctly. And then there's the backup . . .

If pushed for time and not strapped for cash, or not wanting to do such
a mind-numbing exercise, I'd think about posting on a local forum - see
if anyone's interested and how much they want. I'd think it'd be 50+ hours.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 07:22, RJH wrote:

Either way, it's going to be a long haul ripping (maybe) 500 CDs. Then
there's hoping they're in decent condition and copy over nicely,
catalogued and gaplessed correctly.* And then there's the backup . . .

We are told "He has about 1TB of flac files stored the last time I
looked, and is about half way." Assuming a CD compresses to a FLAC of
400 MB on average I make that 2,500 done and the same to follow!

If pushed for time and not strapped for cash, or not wanting to do such
a mind-numbing exercise, I'd think about posting on a local forum - see
if anyone's interested and how much they want. I'd think it'd be 50+ hours.

Though it doesn't take many CDs with problems which lead EAC to take an
hour or more for the job to stretch.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/18 12:02, Bill wrote:
In message , Theo
writes
or a SATA DVD drive in a powered case, for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...VD-ROM-DVD-Dri
ve-Caddy-Cover-Case-Notebook-Laptop/292567473829 taking the second USB
cable to a mains-plug USB supply, eg from Poundland

My worry about recommending this is that he is using this with a hard
disk storage device that's part of and hooked into his hi-fi system. I'm
used to the shash caused by laptop psu's and would be wary of any
Poundland electronics from this pov.
And also the slimline drives only seem to be half the speed of the full
sized drives.
He is in his 80's and is hoping to HD-ise all his huge collection of
CD's before he gets old, so speed is crucial. He has about 1TB of flac
files stored the last time I looked, and is about half way.

Why bother with all that then:
https://www.gamesroomcompany.com/products/jukeboxes/cd

one of them should keep him feeling young.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 08:57, Robin wrote:
On 09/06/2018 07:22, RJH wrote:

Either way, it's going to be a long haul ripping (maybe) 500 CDs. Then
there's hoping they're in decent condition and copy over nicely,
catalogued and gaplessed correctly.* And then there's the backup . . .

We are told "He has about 1TB of flac files stored the last time I
looked, and is about half way." Assuming a CD compresses to a FLAC of
400 MB on average I make that 2,500 done and the same to follow!

Ah, yes, well spotted! Well, that's just going to take months - I
estimated a long working week on 500. Not that my estimates are much to
go on ;-)

If pushed for time and not strapped for cash, or not wanting to do
such a mind-numbing exercise, I'd think about posting on a local forum
- see if anyone's interested and how much they want. I'd think it'd be
50+ hours.

Though it doesn't take many CDs with problems which lead EAC to take an
hour or more for the job to stretch.

TBH, a friend took all of my 500 CDs (and nice pine storage cases) - she
kept them on condition they were ripped to flac for me.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 09:39, Richard wrote:
On 08/06/18 12:02, Bill wrote:
In message , Theo
writes
[...]

Very good! Not a bad idea for a DIY project . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
I am presently re-ripping my CD collection as FLAC, having previously
done them as MP3s (which was a mistake - I should have bought more disk
in the first place). FLACs are roughly 10 times the size of MP3s. About
1% of my CD collection is proving to be unrippable, despite having
previously been OK.

Commenting on the 3 previous messages in this thread :

Yes, the Optiarc 7240s internal drives seem to be about the same speed
as the external LG drive that has failed, and would be ideal for him if
they were external usb drives. I do notice that the Optiarc slim drives
for which cheap usb cases are available are rated at half the speed of
the 7240s's.

My tests here, ripping a CD into a laptop, showed that using dbPoweramp
took something like 5 to 6 minutes, EAC took longer. The laptop drive,
and my external drive are both slimline.
My understanding is that dbPoweramp uses a database called Accuraterip
to check rip quality, whereas EAC does repeat reads (and may also check
with Accuraterip) to get the best quality possible. This may exceed the
"quality" of the tracks in the AR database, or not.

My chum has in the tens of thousands of specialist CD's, some being
non-commercial CD-RW's of music and events he has been involved with
over the years. His aim is to get the best of this findable on this
"Brennan" device and easily accessible via his lounge hi-fi system with
control via a Surface tablet laptop from a comfy chair. He is nearly
there, but has had disaster after disaster. I think he has about 3,000
done to date.

Over the years he has converted from open reel to DAT to CD, so he is
used to having to move forward.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

the Optiarc 7240s internal drives seem to be about the same speed
as the external LG drive that has failed, and would be ideal for him if
they were external usb drives

Buy a USB-SATA adapter, they often come with a power brick and
molex-SATA power adapter ...

e.g. (but not a specific recommendation)
https:/amazon.co.uk/dp/B001A5SK56
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 07:22, RJH wrote:
On 08/06/2018 12:10, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2018 23:43, Bill wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
[...]

I found doable using a couple of machines and 4 drives.. run a couple of
instances of EAC on each machine. It keeps you busy enough uncasing,
about 90 disks at a time.

It helps if your music collection is something for which you can rely on
the catalogue databases to identify and name the tracks etc. Something
that can be less successful on some classical recordings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 07:22, RJH wrote:

[...]

Probably also worth searching round people you know who may have already
ripped a common subset of disks you own.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2018 11:57, Bill wrote:
He is nearly there, but has had disaster after disaster. I think he has
about 3,000 done to date.

And the next disaster is when the hard disk fails and hasn't been
properly backed up :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
On 09/06/2018 11:57, Bill wrote:
He is nearly there, but has had disaster after disaster. I think he
has about 3,000 done to date.

And the next disaster is when the hard disk fails and hasn't been
properly backed up :-(

No!

He has already reloaded at least once from a backup following at least
one of the disasters.
He backs up to a portable hard drive and also to his main desktop PC.
Backups can be incremental or full, and he is aware of how to initiate
either.

This may not be ideal, but so far it has worked.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 10:53, Bill wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes
On 09/06/2018 11:57, Bill wrote:
He is nearly there, but has had disaster after disaster. I think he
has about 3,000 done to date.

And the next disaster is when the hard disk fails and hasn't been
properly backed up :-(

No!

He has already reloaded at least once from a backup following at least
one of the disasters.
He backs up to a portable hard drive and also to his main desktop PC.
Backups can be incremental or full, and he is aware of how to initiate
either.

This may not be ideal, but so far it has worked.

So did the one TSB used.