Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default External CD/DVD drive

Why not get a powered usb hub and then there will be no issue with power
from the usb.
Not sure what you mean about rated 110v, that would be silly in this
country and would probably go bang when you plugged it in. I do feel a
little more pressure at Amazon might convince them its their problem unless
he bought it from a marketplace vendor not in the UK of course. always pays
to look at the supplier name in the checkout you know, it normally says
supplied and sold by bloggs inc of china or something rather than the usual
Amazon info.
The fact is it should not fail in such a short time.
I was going to mention that 52X is the fastest accurate reading speed you
can expect and thus 48 seems not too bad. Some music cds seem to keep
throttling back and retrying so one supposes these do not like being read
fast.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
A friend has a need for a high speed external drive to read CD's as fast as
possible. It plugs into a Raspberry Pi based device and we are not
confident of the usb power available.

He bought a non-usb powered LG GE24NU40 from Amazon UK, which was shipped
from the USA. After about 2 weeks it has failed. He called Amazon, who
said it would have to be posted back to Kentucky at his cost. If they
agreed it was faulty, his costs would be refunded.
The Post Office have told him the postage cost would be over £20, so he is
now considering his options.

He has tried an external usb powered drive, but that is nowhere the same
speed and looking at the drive in it, it is the same model as in my
ancient Lenovo T410 laptop. The LG drive is rated at 48x for CD's.

I have had him check the psu that came with the drive, and it is rated for
110 to 240 volts. The drawer opens and closes, but no CD's are detected. I
have got him looking for his CD cleaning disk.

I suggested he looked for a UK source of a similar drive, but no-one seems
to sell anything but usb powered ones now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent high speed non-usb powered
external drive? I don't want to suggest buying a case and internal drive,
as I'd have to drive over to him to assemble it.
--
Bill