Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default External CD/DVD drive

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pi can't run the drive at full speed
anyway. It can't run anything else at full speed not even on the 3b+ I
have.
They are nice devices but quick they ain't.

anyway..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITC22031-5-...sure-suitable-
5-25-IDE/dp/B000YX7EOI/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DRW-24...Q/ref=sr_1_8_m

Thanks for the pointer to that enclosure. That didn't come up in my
searches. I had seen one or two more expensive ones priced from over
£50 upwards, which seemed excessive.

Internal drives are not the problem and I know that many of the 24x
writers will read CD's at up to 48x.

With his failed drive all I can say is that until it died he says it did
read a CD in 3 minutes as against 10 to 30 minutes on his 2 smaller
drives.

I am not sure why there is such a speed difference, maybe bigger cache
or just better read quality. I don't know whether his device has any
check of the quality of each rip. I do know that in tests on a laptop
here, dbPoweramp is quicker than EAC, which I understand is because
dbPoweramp just checks quality against a database, rather than making
multiple passes to check for consistency.

He is going to post the drive back tomorrow, hope for the cash refund in
the fullness of time, and probably will order another of the same type
again from Amazon. He is hoping he just got a bad one.
--
Bill