Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default External CD/DVD drive

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Theo
writes
or a SATA DVD drive in a powered case, for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...VD-ROM-DVD-Dri
ve-Caddy-Cover-Case-Notebook-Laptop/292567473829 taking the second USB
cable to a mains-plug USB supply, eg from Poundland

My worry about recommending this is that he is using this with a hard disk
storage device that's part of and hooked into his hi-fi system. I'm used
to the shash caused by laptop psu's and would be wary of any Poundland
electronics from this pov.
And also the slimline drives only seem to be half the speed of the full
sized drives.
He is in his 80's and is hoping to HD-ise all his huge collection of CD's
before he gets old, so speed is crucial. He has about 1TB of flac files
stored the last time I looked, and is about half way.

Then it would be better to use a discarded desktop than a pi.