Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default External CD/DVD drive

In message , RJH writes
On 07/06/2018 16:53, Roger Mills wrote:
Why not use a USB-powered drive, connected to the Pi via a powered
hub?

That's what I would have thought - or even try one of those Y-USB 2-1
leads. My cheap but effective Samsung USB portable drive is only rated
at 24x for CD, though, which if similar might not be enough for the OP.

There is something weird about the device the Raspberry Pi is in. It has
USB's A, B and C, all on the back panel. The manufacturer's
instructions seem to be to avoid B, and try A or C to find the one the
CD detects.

I know nothing about Raspberry Pi's, so don't know whether this would be
normal or not.

We may try a powered hub, but this is a unit that sits discreetly in the
lounge, so many more wires might tip his long-suffering wife over the
line.

To TNP- We have tried ripping to a PC and then moving over the network,
but this proved too complicated for my elderly but sprightly non
technical friend.
--
Bill