Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default External CD/DVD drive

On 08/06/2018 12:10, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2018 23:43, Bill wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pi can't run the drive at full speed
anyway. It can't run anything else at full speed not even on the 3b+ I
have.
They are nice devices but quick they ain't.

anyway..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITC22031-5-...sure-suitable-
5-25-IDE/dp/B000YX7EOI/ref=sr_1_3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DRW-24...Q/ref=sr_1_8_m

Thanks for the pointer to that enclosure. That didn't come up in my
searches. I had seen one or two more expensive ones priced* from over
£50 upwards, which seemed excessive.

Internal drives are not the problem and I know that many of the 24x
writers will read CD's at up to 48x.

If you can find one of the one of the Optiarc DVD/CD writers, then the
are very quick handling CDs - also particularly so on audio extraction
which lets down many of the drives which are quick reading data CDs.

I have some of the 7240S drives and they will rip an *audio* CD in about
3 mins using EAC.

About 6 minutes using iTunes and a portable USB2 Samsung drive on a
reasonably quick computer.

Either way, it's going to be a long haul ripping (maybe) 500 CDs. Then
there's hoping they're in decent condition and copy over nicely,
catalogued and gaplessed correctly. And then there's the backup . . .

If pushed for time and not strapped for cash, or not wanting to do such
a mind-numbing exercise, I'd think about posting on a local forum - see
if anyone's interested and how much they want. I'd think it'd be 50+ hours.

--
Cheers, Rob