Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there anything left in Maplins?

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
I do use buses quite a bit out of rush hour as they are a pleasant way to
travel with no parking hassles.

Do you find you can read on buses ? Otherwise what do you do
just look out the window ?

I'm very happy to watch the world go by when travelling. Something you
can't really do when driving. I don't need to distract myself by reading
or using a mobile phone.

Which is why I prefer using a bus or overground train to the tube. And why
I think tube drivers deserve every penny they're paid for doing such a
boring job.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

But if it "may" not be correct what's the point of having it at
all ? Why not just switch it off until its fixed ?

A reasonable Q , but maybe they don't know it's incorrect until passengers tell them
;-)

But they already know the indicator boards "may" be incorrect. Thats why they put
up *Printed Notices* to that affect.

Printed Notices mark you, not ad-hoc notices scribbled in marker.

Just to run this past you again.

They use electricity to power up an indicator board,

They have also printed notices which say " The information on the
indicator board may not be correct.

So what's the point of powering up the indicator boards if there's no way
of knowing whether the information is correct or not ?

The reason, as with the bus and train announcements is that its all done
for the sake of appearence; rather than because its of any practical use.

A station platform with a nice indicator board with bright orange lettering on it
looks *nicer* than one with the lettering switched off. The fact that the information
is maybe wrong is purely secondary.

sometimes you get a bus that is not from the area and it announces stops that arent
where it;s stopping.

See above re. platform indicator boards.

if you
insist they could be switched on and off as blind people boarded and
alighteed from the bus -

Is that just the audio or the rotating message display too ?

the visual displays aren't annoying; and in any case your question borders on the
absurd when asked in respect of blind passengers.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:41:54 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

But if it "may" not be correct what's the point of having it at
all ? Why not just switch it off until its fixed ?

A reasonable Q , but maybe they don't know it's incorrect until passengers tell them
;-)

But they already know the indicator boards "may" be incorrect. Thats why they put
up *Printed Notices* to that affect.

I've never seen these printed notices, I've heard the statement over the tannoy never seen a printed notice.

Printed Notices mark you, not ad-hoc notices scribbled in marker.

I've yet to see those sort.

Just to run this past you again.

They use electricity to power up an indicator board,

and this indicator board does it just conatin info for 1 line or 1 train or 1 service ?

They have also printed notices which say " The information on the
indicator board may not be correct.

Not seen them either.

So what's the point of powering up the indicator boards if there's no way
of knowing whether the information is correct or not ?

Because you might what to know what is running, for instance at Mile End the hammersmith line might be out but NOT the district line and they share the same notice board. The fact that the next train might only go half way or it might go the whole journey is more useful than a blank notice board which will tell you nothing.

The reason, as with the bus and train announcements is that its all done
for the sake of appearence; rather than because its of any practical use..

When reported I find it useful. What I don't find useful is notice boards with NOTHING on them.

A station platform with a nice indicator board with bright orange lettering on it
looks *nicer* than one with the lettering switched off. The fact that the information
is maybe wrong is purely secondary.

But it could also be right.

if you
insist they could be switched on and off as blind people boarded and
alighteed from the bus -

Is that just the audio or the rotating message display too ?

the visual displays aren't annoying; and in any case your question borders on the
absurd when asked in respect of blind passengers.

Blind passengers can't read notices that say this indicator board might be wrong, either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:41:54 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

A station platform with a nice indicator board with bright orange lettering on it
looks *nicer* than one with the lettering switched off. The fact that the information
is maybe wrong is purely secondary.

But it could also be right.

But if the passenger has no way of knowing this, what's the point ?

If there wasn't good reason to think otherwise one might be almost led to
believe that you worked for London Underground yourself. Possibly in
the planning dept.

Is that just the audio or the rotating message display too ?

the visual displays aren't annoying; and in any case your question borders on the
absurd when asked in respect of blind passengers.

Blind passengers can't read notices that say this indicator board might be wrong,
either.

On the Underground I believe where necessary blind passengers are entitled to assistance
from a member of the station staff. Although quite possibly on regular journeys others
rely
on information and help from fellow passengers.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 April 2018 16:24:31 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:41:54 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

A station platform with a nice indicator board with bright orange lettering on it
looks *nicer* than one with the lettering switched off. The fact that the information
is maybe wrong is purely secondary.

But it could also be right.

But if the passenger has no way of knowing this, what's the point ?

Then point is knowing whether or not you are on the right platform, the only reason to turn it off is when NO trains are running and they won't be running for the forseable future, such as christmas day.

If there wasn't good reason to think otherwise one might be almost led to
believe that you worked for London Underground yourself. Possibly in
the planning dept.

No I just use it everyday so for me seeing such notices can be important.
See wqhen I get on at leyton and will get off at Mile end I couldn't give a **** whether the train goes to ealing broadway or west ruislip.
I don't care that the train is showing the wrong destination couldn't give a ****. The train may stop at liver[pool street because there's a problem further up the line, so NO train will go beyond liverpool street.
You see the indicator boards can only tell you the final destination and the time until it's expected to reach the station you're waiting at.

Blind passengers can't read notices that say this indicator board might be wrong,
either.

On the Underground I believe where necessary blind passengers are entitled to assistance
from a member of the station staff.

Pull the other one you'll be lucky to find a memeber of staff on most platforms.

Although quite possibly on regular journeys others
rely
on information and help from fellow passengers.

or more likely their phone.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 05/04/2018 12:09, michael adams wrote:
ATM the only problem I have with Sainsbury is availability
of 4pt skimmed milk which at times can be erratic. Not that I buy much
else in there nowadays.

You might just as well buy 4 pints of semi-skimmed and add 4 pints
of water, or simply use less of it. Skimmed milk is so pathetic you
just end up using more.

Skimmed milk is one of thr worst marketing scams going.

when we had a cat, she refused to drink it,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:10:23 +0100, tim...
wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:25:59 +0100, tim... wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 20:18:04 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

michael adams wrote:

ARW wrote:
Very little when I had a look.

In three branches in West London I've looked in, they've still got
plenty of stock.

I've been in two; while buying what I went in for, I trawled the
shelves and didn't really see anything else worth buying.

Their windows are plastered with two posters.
"Up to 20% off" and "Everything Must Go".

Different types of items were 10%, 20%, 40%

a lot of their stuff is cheaper elsewhere

yep

Last time I went into a Maplins, at full price, their electrical stuff
was a sensible price, but their computer stuff was 10x what you could
get on Ebay. They wanted £12 for a 1m USB lead.

the problem with buying that sort of stuff on eBay is the variable
quality

but that cuts both ways ...

I bought a 1.99 HDMI connector on eBay, failed within 3 months

JOOI was it subject to any repeated plugging/unplugging ? Surely once it
was "working" there's very little to deteriorate ?

It had components inside

they obviously died

Usually pretty easy to pick the quality stuff from feedback, photos,
price, etc. Or buy a known make.

there don't appear to be a "known" brand version of what I purchased

It looks identical to the one on sale at Novatec for 16 quid

It's actually quite hard to find what I wanted - most of them are the wrong
gender (at one end of the other)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message
On Thursday, 5 April 2018 16:59:31 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
Khans father was a bus driver. And he's full of pie in the sky
nonsense.
Have you personally travelled on a London Bus recently ? Basically
they're
now targetted at idiots who instantly forget what bus they got on,
immediately they board and have to be reminded at every stop with
loudspeaker announcements at full volume.

Those are for blind people and tourists.

Why would blind people or tourists for that matter, forget what bus
they'd
just got on ?

in the case of the blind person

how did they know which bus they were getting on until the on-bus
announcement tells them?

They ask the driver. Or another person in the queue if there
is one before boarding the bus.

but how do they know that they aren't being lied to (deliberately or
otherwise)

They'd know once they'd got on the bus. They'd confirm the route
when they told the driver their stop.

The only reason for asking somebody on the queuse is to save the
blind person the trouble of boarding the wrong bus only to
be told by the driver that they've got on the wrong one.

Your idea that they'd board a succession of buses of different
routes all serving the same stop, and then wait to listen to the
on board announcement before decideing whether they needed to get
off or not is, quite frankly, one of the most ludicrous suggestions
its ever been my pleasuse to read on UseNet.

No I'm not suggesting that at all

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert!

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:25:59 +0100, dim... , another mentally challenged
troll-feeding idiot blabbered:

in theory, I'm entitled to refund or replacement, by for such a sum it just
too much hassle

dim

In practice, you are a troll-feeding dimwit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

Do you find you can read on buses ? Otherwise what do you do
just look out the window ?

I don't need to distract myself by reading
or using a mobile phone.

You are Erena from "Peep Show", AICMFP

"God Jeremy, do you know Gail is so clever that
she even reads books. For fun ! "

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 18:58:03 +0100, dim... , another mentally challenged
troll-feeding idiot blabbered:

It's actually quite hard to find what I wanted - most of them are the wrong
gender (at one end of the other)

dim

You ALWAYS find the filthy Scottish ******'s cock which you obviously enjoy
sucking time and again, dimwit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

wrote:

michael adams wrote:

ARW wrote:
[...]

But at Ebay prices, you just buy another.

As for HDMI, I find it's a terrible design. For example, most
motherboards have the graphics card in position 1. Most decent
gaming cases have an indented section where the back of the cards
are. This means the graphics card is bang up against a part of the
case that's half an inch further out. Since every HDMI plug I've
ever seen is unnecessarily fat (shielding?), you can't plug them in. DVI,
VGA, etc goes in fine. But HDMI is overweight. So you have to
find a rare motherboard with the graphics card slot further down, or
use the slower 2nd graphics card slot in about position 4, or not use
HDMI.

Does the dole pay for your Internet?
Come along, ******, just tell us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2018 18:13, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she refused to drink it,

You are meant to give them water, not milk. Most cats are lactose
intolerant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/04/2018 11:43, alan_m wrote:
On 06/04/2018 18:13, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she refused to drink it,

You are meant to give them water, not milk. Most cats are lactose
intolerant.

Or buy them cat milk.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/04/2018 11:27, tim... wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

They ask the driver. Or another person in the queue if there
is one before boarding the bus.

but how do they know that they aren't being lied to (deliberately or
otherwise)

TBH how many people do you think are big enough ****s that they would
tell a blind person the wrong bus number?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message news

how did they know which bus they were getting on until the on-bus announcement
tells them?

Your idea that they'd board a succession of buses of different
routes all serving the same stop, and then wait to listen to the
on board announcement before decideing whether they needed to get
off or not is, quite frankly, one of the most ludicrous suggestions
its ever been my pleasuse to read on UseNet.

No I'm not suggesting that at all

So what did you mean by the question above ?

" how did they know which bus they were getting on until the on-bus
announcement tells them? "

michael adams

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 05/04/2018 12:09, michael adams wrote:
ATM the only problem I have with Sainsbury is availability
of 4pt skimmed milk which at times can be erratic. Not that I buy much
else in there nowadays.

You might just as well buy 4 pints of semi-skimmed and add 4 pints
of water, or simply use less of it. Skimmed milk is so pathetic you
just end up using more.

Skimmed milk is one of thr worst marketing scams going.

when we had a cat, she refused to drink it,

Skimmed milk is fine as long as it is UHT. Fresh skimmed milk is like water.
I can't stand full fat milk any more as I have been using skimmed for so
long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 06/04/2018 11:27, tim... wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

They ask the driver. Or another person in the queue if there
is one before boarding the bus.

but how do they know that they aren't being lied to (deliberately or
otherwise)

TBH how many people do you think are big enough ****s that they would tell
a blind person the wrong bus number?

deliberately very few

but people make mistakes

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

ARW wrote:
Very little when I had a look.

In three branches in West London I've looked in, they've still got plenty of stock.

I've been in two; while buying what I went in for, I trawled the shelves and didn't
really see anything else worth buying.

Their windows are plastered with two posters.
"Up to 20% off" and "Everything Must Go".

Different types of items were 10%, 20%, 40%

Yup. There's some stuff up to 60% off now.

But the big discounts seem to be mainly off things like rechargeable batteries
which I noticed were 40% off.

But they really are all over the place.

I went into the Hammersmith Branch this lunchtime. I noticed an Ion USB
turntable, this one

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-digit...c-centre-a38xn

£95.99

knocked down from a silly price of around £140 which I found hard to beleve
in the first place.

Anyway checking it out online it seems Amazon themselves, not marketplace
sellers are offering exactly the same turntable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-LP-...o+Music+Centre

for £89.99

even undercuttiong other marketplace sellers.

So that even when poor Maplin are laid out on the canvas, breathing their last, and
unable
to offer any guarentees, and despite having paid all their taxes, wicked tax dodging
Jeff Bezos, with his maniacal laugh still can't resist putting the boot in.

Boooooooo ! Boooooooo!

Its almost enough to make a person boycott Amazon althogether.

Well almost.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Most of the buses I use have the entrace and exit on the side or back so you don't need to pass the driver.

Do you pay?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 00:59:18 +0100, Theo wrote:

I had a look through in case there's any components worth 'banking' just
in case, but there's not much to make it worthwhile over getting if
on-demand next day from Farnell/CPC if needed.

Conrad (www.conrad.de) were very good indeed (and way better than Maplin)
when I lived in Germany. Perhaps they might ride to the rescue of the
nerds among us?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 00:59:18 +0100, Theo wrote:

I had a look through in case there's any components worth 'banking' just
in case, but there's not much to make it worthwhile over getting if
on-demand next day from Farnell/CPC if needed.

Conrad (www.conrad.de) were very good indeed (and way better than Maplin)
when I lived in Germany. Perhaps they might ride to the rescue of the
nerds among us?

They have had a UK website for sometime.
https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/Welcome.html

Quite a large range of items.
Used them for some specialised electronics to semi automate operation a
garden railway.
The German market seems to be the main source of such things and
manufacturers,Conrads prices were competitive at the time with the same
items imported by an appointed U.K. agent or from a German shop.
Most likely whoever I ordered from the items were despatched from the same
warehouse.

They quote 3 or 4 days for delivery which may be too slow for some people
but they do have some interesting items listed.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/18 19:37, Marland wrote:
Conrads prices were competitive at the time with the same
items imported by an appointed U.K. agent or from a German shop.

They own Rapid Electronics.
https://www.rapidonline.com

--
Adrian C