Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Is there anything left in Maplins?

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 18:58:03 +0100, tim...
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:10:23 +0100, tim...
wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:25:59 +0100, tim... wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 20:18:04 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

michael adams wrote:

ARW wrote:
Very little when I had a look.

In three branches in West London I've looked in, they've
still got plenty of stock.

I've been in two; while buying what I went in for, I trawled
the shelves and didn't really see anything else worth buying.

Their windows are plastered with two posters.
"Up to 20% off" and "Everything Must Go".

Different types of items were 10%, 20%, 40%

a lot of their stuff is cheaper elsewhere

yep

Last time I went into a Maplins, at full price, their
electrical stuff was a sensible price, but their computer stuff
was 10x what you could get on Ebay. They wanted £12 for a 1m
USB lead.

the problem with buying that sort of stuff on eBay is the
variable quality

but that cuts both ways ...

I bought a 1.99 HDMI connector on eBay, failed within 3 months

JOOI was it subject to any repeated plugging/unplugging ? Surely
once it was "working" there's very little to deteriorate ?

It had components inside

they obviously died

Usually pretty easy to pick the quality stuff from feedback, photos,
price, etc. Or buy a known make.

there don't appear to be a "known" brand version of what I purchased

It looks identical to the one on sale at Novatec for 16 quid

It's actually quite hard to find what I wanted - most of them are

the wrong gender (at one end of the other)

But at Ebay prices, you just buy another.

As for HDMI, I find it's a terrible design. For example, most
motherboards have the graphics card in position 1. Most decent
gaming cases have an indented section where the back of the cards
are. This means the graphics card is bang up against a part of the
case that's half an inch further out. Since every HDMI plug I've
ever seen is unnecessarily fat (shielding?), you can't plug them in. DVI,
VGA, etc goes in fine. But HDMI is overweight. So you have to
find a rare motherboard with the graphics card slot further down, or
use the slower 2nd graphics card slot in about position 4, or not use
HDMI.

Does the dole pay for your Internet?
Come along, ******, just tell us.