Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to re-seal a car body seam?

In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening.
It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the
question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into
a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds
- the question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will
wick into a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights
are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not
be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus
over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on the
bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't got
any yet):
http://bit.ly/2sSkjHc
but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2018 19:52, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts ofÂ* my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short verticalÂ* seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be aÂ* simple overlap with a couple of spot welds
- the question is how to seal it.Â* Is there any body mastic that will
wick into a thin gap and then set? What doÂ* the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights
are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not
be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus
over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on the
bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't got
any yet):
http://bit.ly/2sSkjHc
but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).

I've had a hell of a job finding the problem. I used plumbers mastic to
blank off different areas and build barriers - starting at the bottom
with a hosepipe and working up as each area could be ruled out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2018 20:14, wrote:
[...]

Just had a look at your link - it's silicone!!!! Don't use silicone if
you might want to paint afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
On 23/02/2018 20:14,
wrote:
[...]

I shouldn't think I will be - but advice noted,
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening.
It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the
question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into
a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

There are pukka car seam sealers that can be painted over - which I doubt
you could do with a mastic.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm the problem then sounds like faulty manufacture. Trouble is that rust
has probably already started and with expansion and contraction and
vibration its going to be a big problem to keep it sealed.
Is the car very old?
These things used to happen a lot many years ago but modern cars joints are
a lot better.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts
of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short
vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It
seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question
is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin
gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks itself
into a narrow gap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts
of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short
vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It seems
to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question is how
to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin gap and
then set? What do the body shops do?

seam sealer did it to my Dacia Duster .......