Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default How to re-seal a car body seam?

On 23/02/2018 20:14, wrote:
On 23/02/2018 19:52, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts ofÂ* my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is
a short verticalÂ* seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be aÂ* simple overlap with a couple of spot
welds - the question is how to seal it.Â* Is there any body mastic
that will wick into a thin gap and then set? What doÂ* the body shops
do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights
are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not
be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus
over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on
the bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't
got any yet):
http://bit.ly/2sSkjHc
but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).

I've had a hell of a job finding the problem. I used plumbers mastic to
blank off different areas and build barriers - starting at the bottom
with a hosepipe and working up as each area could be ruled out.

Just had a look at your link - it's silicone!!!! Don't use silicone if
you might want to paint afterwards.