Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How to re-seal a car body seam?

Hmm the problem then sounds like faulty manufacture. Trouble is that rust
has probably already started and with expansion and contraction and
vibration its going to be a big problem to keep it sealed.
Is the car very old?
These things used to happen a lot many years ago but modern cars joints are
a lot better.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts
of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short
vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It
seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question
is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin
gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks itself
into a narrow gap.