DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to re-seal a car body seam? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/605901-how-re-seal-car-body-seam.html)

[email protected] February 23rd 18 06:21 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening.
It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the
question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into
a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] February 23rd 18 06:44 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts of
my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short vertical
seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It seems to be a
simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question is how to seal it.
Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin gap and then set? What do
the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

Ian Jackson[_9_] February 23rd 18 07:52 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds
- the question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will
wick into a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights
are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not
be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus
over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on the
bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't got
any yet):
http://bit.ly/2sSkjHc
but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).
--
Ian

[email protected] February 23rd 18 08:12 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

On 23/02/2018 18:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds -
the question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will
wick into a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

Thanks, from a quick look that seems worth a try

[email protected] February 23rd 18 08:14 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

On 23/02/2018 19:52, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
brought next idea :
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts ofÂ* my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short verticalÂ* seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback
opening. It seems to be aÂ* simple overlap with a couple of spot welds
- the question is how to seal it.Â* Is there any body mastic that will
wick into a thin gap and then set? What doÂ* the body shops do?

Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure might be a way forward, it wicks
itself into a narrow gap.

My Focus Mk1 boot is leaking at both sides. Of course, the tail lights
are the usual suspects - but tests seem to indicate that they may not
be. I've got duct tape over all the possible areas of ingress - plus
over where the rear quarterlights meet the body. I'm now working on the
bottom (where the rear bumper meets the body).

However, I had my eye on this sealer in case I need it (but haven't got
any yet):
http://bit.ly/2sSkjHc
but I'll also look at Capt Trolley too (never heard of it before).

I've had a hell of a job finding the problem. I used plumbers mastic to
blank off different areas and build barriers - starting at the bottom
with a hosepipe and working up as each area could be ruled out.

[email protected] February 23rd 18 08:15 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

On 23/02/2018 20:14, wrote:
[...]

Just had a look at your link - it's silicone!!!! Don't use silicone if
you might want to paint afterwards.

Ian Jackson[_9_] February 23rd 18 10:03 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

In message ,
writes
On 23/02/2018 20:14,
wrote:
[...]

I shouldn't think I will be - but advice noted,
--
Ian

Dave Plowman (News) February 23rd 18 11:32 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

In article ,
wrote:
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various
parts of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a
short vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening.
It seems to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the
question is how to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into
a thin gap and then set? What do the body shops do?

There are pukka car seam sealers that can be painted over - which I doubt
you could do with a mastic.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Brian Gaff February 24th 18 08:41 AM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

Hmm the problem then sounds like faulty manufacture. Trouble is that rust
has probably already started and with expansion and contraction and
vibration its going to be a big problem to keep it sealed.
Is the car very old?
These things used to happen a lot many years ago but modern cars joints are
a lot better.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
brought next idea :

Jim in Inverness ... February 24th 18 01:53 PM

How to re-seal a car body seam?

wrote in message
In attempts to find a leak I've spent ages running water on various parts
of my wife's car. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is a short
vertical seam, running from a roof slot to the hatchback opening. It seems
to be a simple overlap with a couple of spot welds - the question is how
to seal it. Is there any body mastic that will wick into a thin gap and
then set? What do the body shops do?

seam sealer did it to my Dacia Duster .......