Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New tougher MOTs.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 00:05:35 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

"Other changes include checks to whether brake discs are obviously warn, oil
contamination of the discs and how well they are securely attached to the wheel
hubs. "

To see how well discs are "securely attached to the wheel hubs" requires removal
of the wheel in just about all cases

In the case of inboard discs they are not even attached to the wheel hubs

From
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Page 12

"The MOT test must be carried out without dismantling"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...changes-May-20
18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

So Advisory Notes now become Minor Faults. Big Deal

Failures are spilt into Dangerous and Major to discourage drivers from
driving away to get a "Dangerous" fault fixed, which is illegal at the
moment if it renders the vehicle non-roadworthy. So just making that
clearer.

Diesel particulate filter must be present and doing the job it is
intended for which will help keep the really stinking diesels off the
road.

As a diesel owner I don't have a problem with that.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Red elswwhere (but not read the actual document) that they are going to
clamp down on aftermarket HID conversions - even if the beam pattern
passes the test. But as usual are behind the times, as it's LEDs which are
being used these days. And are often worse for scatter etc than HID,
depending on headlight design.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/18 08:05, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

Anybody else appalled by the spelling and grammar in that article?

Oh, only me then...

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:05:54 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

"The MOT test must be carried out without dismantling"

So ? Just change the rules.

The document I quoted that line from IS the (draft) rules from May 2018!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:25:18 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

On 25/01/18 08:05, harry wrote:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

Anybody else appalled by the spelling and grammar in that article?

Oh, only me then...

No, not just you, it's a POS. 'checks to whether brake discs are obviously
warn' FFS

Similar and almost identical text has been used in other parts of the press
today. Makes you wonder who actually writes this crap and how much they get
paid for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

"Other changes include checks to whether brake discs are obviously warn, oil
contamination of the discs and how well they are securely attached to the wheel
hubs. "

To see how well discs are "securely attached to the wheel hubs" requires removal
of the wheel in just about all cases

In the case of inboard discs they are not even attached to the wheel hubs

From
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Page 12

"The MOT test must be carried out without dismantling"

Its only a draft so it may change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 14:16, bert wrote:
In article ,
harry writes
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...changes-May-20
18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

So Advisory Notes now become Minor Faults. Big Deal

Failures are spilt into Dangerous and Major to discourage drivers from
driving away to get a "Dangerous" fault fixed, which is illegal at the
moment if it renders the vehicle non-roadworthy. So just making that
clearer.

Diesel particulate filter must be present and doing the job it is
intended for which will help keep the really stinking diesels off the road.

It might catch the fake filter fitters out too.
Ebay is full of particulate filter bypasses and other fiddles.

As a diesel owner I don't have a problem with that.

Only criminals should have a problem with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"The MOT test must be carried out without dismantling"

So ? Just change the rules.

The document I quoted that line from IS the (draft) rules from May 2018!

It also shows that ABS systems fail major if the warning light doesn't
work. Just proves that JWS talks BS all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 14:20:57 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
harry writes

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...changes-May-20
18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

So Advisory Notes now become Minor Faults. Big Deal

Failures are spilt into Dangerous and Major to discourage drivers from
driving away to get a "Dangerous" fault fixed, which is illegal at the
moment if it renders the vehicle non-roadworthy. So just making that
clearer.

Diesel particulate filter must be present and doing the job it is
intended for which will help keep the really stinking diesels off the
road.

As a diesel owner I don't have a problem with that.

the stinky diesels don't have filters.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Red elswwhere (but not read the actual document) that they are going to
clamp down on aftermarket HID conversions - even if the beam pattern
passes the test. But as usual are behind the times, as it's LEDs which are
being used these days. And are often worse for scatter etc than HID,
depending on headlight design.

That'll be interesting, as VOSA already issued a letter some years ago
stating that they would not prevent the use of aftermarket conversions,
as long as they had good beam pattern, as it would be unfair to hold
aftermarket conversions to a higher standard that type approved vehicles
- some of which had neither self-levelling nor wash.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Red elswwhere (but not read the actual document) that they are going to
clamp down on aftermarket HID conversions - even if the beam pattern
passes the test. But as usual are behind the times, as it's LEDs which are
being used these days. And are often worse for scatter etc than HID,
depending on headlight design.

I hate those lights with a blue ting...I think it is the Polis and slow down

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:45:13 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

No, not just you, it's a POS. 'checks to whether brake discs are
obviously warn' FFS

At least they got "brake" right!

Similar and almost identical text has been used in other parts of the
press today. Makes you wonder who actually writes this crap and how
much they get paid for it.

You've only just started to spot that an awful lot of "news" is
nothing but regurgitated Press Releases? Quite often a verbatim, copy
'n paste job, sometimes few words altered and may be a bit of intro.

There *might* be a hint about a stories status depending if its from
a "reporter" or "correspondant, the latter having written it, the
former just reporting something.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this not a little like shutting the stable door after the horses have all
left?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 22:59:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Yep, I keep switching to dip for the light a mile or so away on a
farmers Sheep shed up the road ,
One night I said to the missus" I've dipped for the bloody sheep
again", she retorted "it's only fair , you dipped loads of them when
your dad had a farm".

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:28:56 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

a stories status

Whoops. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

which is good because that makes you slow down just like blue lights do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 22:59:16 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Anyone using a headlight during daylight hours I assume must be flashing
to let me go first. They can get out of my way.

Speed bumps make you think people are flashing you to go first...very
dangerous they are..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Yep, I keep switching to dip for the light a mile or so away on a
farmers Sheep shed up the road ,
One night I said to the missus" I've dipped for the bloody sheep
again", she retorted "it's only fair , you dipped loads of them when
your dad had a farm".

G.Harman

pause for paws .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2018 01:38, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:28:56 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

a stories status

Whoops. :-)

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 01:15:47 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Some people are ****ing idiots

Oh, the IRONY again! tsk

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 12:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 11:03:26 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-test-changes-

May-2018-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Ours is on Motability. They'll have to suck it up ...

Do you have to declare it on your P11D as a benefit in kind
(that the rest of the family also benefit from too) ?.

People with company cars have to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 14:16, bert wrote:
will help keep the really stinking diesels off the road.

But those are pre euro5 and will carry on being used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 07:14:41 -0000, Jimbo
wrote:
Agreed. Plus the headlights that shouldn't be on during the day.

In my car, which is too old to have LED daylight running lights, I tend to
drive on dipped headlights on twisty country lanes, so there's a chance that
an oncoming car will see me and I will see him before we meet face-to-face,
because the headlights may be visible through gaps in walls, hedges etc.
Originally it was just bikers and Volvo drivers who did it, but now many
people realise the advantage of being seen further away. Of course you still
get the opposite extreme: people who don't put on their headlights at dusk
or in fog or heavy rain, and have no idea how invisible they are.

In my wife's car which has DRLs, I tend to use those without dipped
headlights, apart from in areas of deep shade (eg a heavily wooded road)
when it's bright sunlight elsewhere, to allow for the time it takes your
eyes to adjust to the (comparative) darkness.

I prefer too much light to too little. The only lights that are a problem
are some cycling lights, at night, which are too bright for the conditions
and/or are pointing in the wrong direction. You see the cyclist, no problem,
but may have difficulty seeing anything else such as where the kerbs and
central white line are. They'd certainly be too bright or badly adjusted for
a car, and would probably fail the MOT and may result in a fine if the
police caught you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:59:49 -0000, NY wrote:

I prefer too much light to too little. The only lights that are a problem
are some cycling lights, at night, which are too bright for the conditions
and/or are pointing in the wrong direction. You see the cyclist, no problem,
but may have difficulty seeing anything else such as where the kerbs and
central white line are. They'd certainly be too bright or badly adjusted for
a car, and would probably fail the MOT and may result in a fine if the
police caught you.

Are you ready for another prolonged idiotic exchange with sociopathic
Hucker, the resident idiot and attention whore, you idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 07:13:35 -0000, Jimbo
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

which is good because that makes you slow down just like blue lights do

If you're slowing down for things you don't need to slow down for....
well.... ever heard of "crying wolf"?

just drove down the A7...anything that slows down those buggers is a good
thing........but then again that is where my new liver came from .......so
why complain .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's
ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Anyone using a headlight during daylight hours I assume must be flashing
to let me go first. They can get out of my way.

Speed bumps make you think people are flashing you to go first...very
dangerous they are..........

Agreed. Plus the headlights that shouldn't be on during the day.

try switching them off on a modern motorbike .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:15:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Every car has different brightnesses and beam patterns, it's
ludicrous.

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting
and car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't
tell if that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is
a street light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

Anyone using a headlight during daylight hours I assume must be
flashing to let me go first. They can get out of my way.

Speed bumps make you think people are flashing you to go
first...very dangerous they are..........

Agreed. Plus the headlights that shouldn't be on during the day.

try switching them off on a modern motorbike .......

I was referring to cars. Lights draw attention to something. They
should be used for something unusual, like a motorcycle or an
ambulance, NOT a car. If your attention is drawn to everything then
you no longer spot the ambulance.
Same goes for hivis jackets - they should be worn by blind folk, or
someone working in the middle of a busy motorway, not every Tom Dick
and Harry out walking their dog.

Prick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:02:15 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Then you're a ****ing idiot.

He CERTAINLY is, Birdbrain! And that's because will STILL keep feeding you!
Just wait and see! LOL

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:04:41 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I was referring to cars. Lights draw attention to something. They
should be used for something unusual, like a motorcycle or an ambulance,
NOT a car. If your attention is drawn to everything then you no longer
spot the ambulance.

You certainly know how to draw attention to your obviously limitless
stupidity, Birdbrain! LOL

--
Unemployable, workshy, "permanently ill" Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL) description of his "disease":

--
Gay ****** Birdbrain about women:
"99% of females are not worth having."

--
Gay ****** Birdbrain about himself:
"I'm the only one in here with any common sense"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:03:07 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

The only people that drive slow are those with slow brains. Why don't you
lot just stay at home and let the rest of us drive at a decent speed?

Yeah, Birdbrain, KEEP educating him. This idiot obviously STILL hasn't
realized what an idiot YOU are! LOL

--
More of gay ****** Birdbrain's sociopathic sick ****:
"If the car I park next to is more expensive than mine, I don't bother

--
Birdbrain, the sociopathic workshy dole and welfare whore about his
"illness":
"It's called an illness. I cannot get out of bed before about 10am."
MID:

LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:14:52 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

And with everything from street lights, building flood lighting

and
car head lights tending towards cool white LED. You can't tell if
that light you caught a glimpse of through some trees is a street
light a flood light or headlight of an approaching car.

which is good because that makes you slow down just like blue

lights do

Blue lights? A very rare sight in this part of the world. The last
lot of blue lights I saw around here (maybe two years ago) had me
speed up so I could get to a place I knew could safely pull into and
let them past (ambulance) before they caught up with me.

If you're slowing down for things you don't need to slow down for....
well.... ever heard of "crying wolf"?

It's a distraction, as you try and work out if they are moving and if
so are they on a different road or not. With dark rural roads and
clean air, quite often the first "hint" you get of an oncoming
vehical is their main beam straight into you eyes as they round a
corner or crest a hill. Any hints you can pick up about oncoming
traffic is useful having that information diluted by distant street
lights of building floods is not.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 09:21:08 +0000, newshound wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

a stories status

Whoops. :-)

:-)

Skitts Law in action.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 21:57:31 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Blue lights? A very rare sight in this part of the world. The last
lot of blue lights I saw around here (maybe two years ago) had me
speed up so I could get to a place I knew could safely pull into

and
let them past (ambulance) before they caught up with me.

I've never had to do that. Pulling half onto the pavement ...

Pavement? Can't be using the American meaning as "pulling half onto
the pavement" creats an obstruction.

... or a verge ...

Otherwise know as a ditch... if it exists at all before the drystone
walls. It would be a narrow gap to do at speed, in an ambulance, with
at most 50 yds visibilty before the next bend.

lets them past, as people the other side are doing the same.

People? The ambulance was the only other traffic I'd seen for the
previous 5 miles and saw the next 15...

It's a distraction, as you try and work out if they are moving and

if
so are they on a different road or not. With dark rural roads and
clean air, quite often the first "hint" you get of an oncoming
vehical is their main beam straight into you eyes as they round a
corner or crest a hill. Any hints you can pick up about oncoming
traffic is useful having that information diluted by distant

street
lights of building floods is not.

Seeing oncoming traffic as it is, instead of just a blinding light is
much better. You can more easily tell the size and speed of a moving
object that doesn't have million candlepower bulbs aiming at our
retinas.

Sheep, deer, hares, rabbits, phesants, etc don't have lights or
particulary good retro reflectors. Main beam is required to see
properly. The clean air means there is no scatter to see before hand.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 21:57:31 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Seeing oncoming traffic as it is, instead of just a blinding light is much
better. You can more easily tell the size and speed of a moving object
that doesn't have million candlepower bulbs aiming at our retinas.

One can more easily tell the size of your idiocy if one checks the feedback
you keep getting from all kinds of people, Birdbrain!

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
[...]

Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
several parrots living in his hovel."
MID:

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-test-changes-
May-2018-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

glad I have never owned one.....

Ours is on Motability. They'll have to suck it up ...

Do you have to declare it on your P11D as a benefit in kind (that the
rest of the family also benefit from too) ?.

People with company cars have to.

Interesting question.

The actual blurb states that the car has to be used "for the benefit of
the PIP recipient" (and is registered in their name). Motability have
confirmed to me that this includes the partner using it to/from work.
After all, that's benefiting the disabled person ?

I suspect if the use were restricted to solely carrying the disabled
person *and nothing else* the need for second cars would rather make a
mockery of any green credentials any government might want to parade.

Bearing in mind there will be quite a few situations (like ours) where
the recipient of the car is unable to drive it themselves.

https://www.motability.co.uk/about-t...r-can-be-used/

QUOTE
The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does
not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every
journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can
use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the
disabled customer will benefit
ENDQUOTE

As I suspected. One rule for company car users, and an entirely
separate set of relaxed rules for motability. Unless the person
on benefits cannot drive, surely it should be restricted to
'driver only' ?.

I once watched that program on C5 when the High Court Sheriffs were
trying to recover a debt owed by a young lady to a funeral director.
Apparently ladies mother had died of cancer. She really put on the
whole drama queen entertainment, telling the debt collectors that
they were scum of the earth blah, blah, blah, that she was 'suffering'
from agrophobia and stress and on disability benefits, so had no
assets.

According to lady the Sheriffs were 'picking' on her and her *wife*
because were living in a rented house (quite new) which was all
funded by housing benefit etc.

When they checked her car, it turned out to be a motability car.

They mused on camera, just what her disability was, since she had
no problems giving them the 3rd degree on the doorstep.

A Ford garage near my fathers house in South Wales has a big sign
in their showroom advertising the motability deals they do.
Apparently that, plus PCP loans are their entire business.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...18-diesel-cars

Plus diesel emissions to be lower.

"Other changes include checks to whether brake discs are obviously warn, oil
contamination of the discs and how well they are securely attached to the wheel
hubs. "

To see how well discs are "securely attached to the wheel hubs" requires removal
of the wheel in just about all cases

In the case of inboard discs they are not even attached to the wheel hubs

From
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Page 12

"The MOT test must be carried out without dismantling"

Its only a draft so it may change.

Except the no dismantling thing has been in the MOT handbook for a very long
time knocking up 20 years to my knowledge and maybe 'forever'

Have a vehicle with undertrays that obscure the bottom of the engine, suspension
parts and steering and the MOT document you get back makes specific mention of
undertrays preventing inspection.

Back in 1999, with the first tests of the Lotus Elise some garages refused to
test without removal of the undertrays either by the owner or as a chargeable
item. After a number of complaints VOSA got involved and sanctioned testing of
those vehicles and many others since without any removal requirements. Testers
do not remove the undertrays, they only make an advisory note on the MOT
documentation they provide after the test.

For example from one of my recent MOT's

engine covers obscuring testable items.
undertrays fitted obscuring testable items.

Going back to the wheel, if they did remove them, then what torque setting would
they use to reattach the wheels when the vehicle is not listed in any data
handbook or the owner either refuses or is unable to provide that figure?

What about the situation where three eared knock on wheels are fitted and the
application of a torque setting requires a specialist spanner adaptor that is
not, nor ever will be in the toolkit of the MOT testing station. I'll admit
that such vehicles will now fall outside the 40 year rule but there is nothing
preventing an owner of any vehicle of any age submitting it for a test. That
ranges from something from the 19th Century to one straight out of the showroom.

The public liability implications of removing parts to perform a safety test are
huge.

I would suggest the "securely attached to the wheel hubs" requirement for brake
discs is inherent untestable for virtually all vehicles except those with 'flat
discs' and removable disc bells, and for those vehicles with that arrangement of
they have cooling air scoops feeding the hub to disc gap there is zero visibilty
of the fixings.