Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default New tougher MOTs.

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 07:14:41 -0000, Jimbo
wrote:
Agreed. Plus the headlights that shouldn't be on during the day.

In my car, which is too old to have LED daylight running lights, I tend to
drive on dipped headlights on twisty country lanes, so there's a chance that
an oncoming car will see me and I will see him before we meet face-to-face,
because the headlights may be visible through gaps in walls, hedges etc.
Originally it was just bikers and Volvo drivers who did it, but now many
people realise the advantage of being seen further away. Of course you still
get the opposite extreme: people who don't put on their headlights at dusk
or in fog or heavy rain, and have no idea how invisible they are.

In my wife's car which has DRLs, I tend to use those without dipped
headlights, apart from in areas of deep shade (eg a heavily wooded road)
when it's bright sunlight elsewhere, to allow for the time it takes your
eyes to adjust to the (comparative) darkness.

I prefer too much light to too little. The only lights that are a problem
are some cycling lights, at night, which are too bright for the conditions
and/or are pointing in the wrong direction. You see the cyclist, no problem,
but may have difficulty seeing anything else such as where the kerbs and
central white line are. They'd certainly be too bright or badly adjusted for
a car, and would probably fail the MOT and may result in a fine if the
police caught you.