Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default New Wheeler Dealers

I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be boring.
I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed China did
have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 1/6/2018 6:54 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be boring.
I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed China did
have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

I liked that China chap...good mechanic .....nice hair

--
Follow my lead...ignore Brian Reay ....
Easily persuaded to believe something credulous and proud of it ...
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be
boring. I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed
China did have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

https://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-le...y-w-1793498487

http://tinyurl.com/y8jlb8vd

Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 18:54, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be boring.
I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed China did
have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

I also caught a few minutes of the new show when channel flicking - my
thoughts were exactly the same: sleeker, faster, 100% scripted (I know,
it was always scripted, but it didn't feel that way), and with a lot
less substance. All ready for the American market then...

I will also not be watching again.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
On 06/01/2018 18:54, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I
used to watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be
boring. I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no
charisma, Ed China did have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

I also caught a few minutes of the new show when channel flicking - my
thoughts were exactly the same: sleeker, faster, 100% scripted (I
know, it was always scripted, but it didn't feel that way), and with
a lot less substance. All ready for the American market then...

I will also not be watching again.

Yup, all ready for the murkins. But as it is not fast and furious and not
from "Chucks Workshop" it will flop.

I think there is more than meets the eye here.
Sort of a strange guy with a strange wife.
I always wondered if Edd was "of the persuasion"
https://marriedbiography.com/imogen-...about-it-here/

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:54:45 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.

Brewer is irritating. He was in another show many years ago with a co-
anchor who really knew the car trade inside out which just threw Brewer's
ignorance into sharp relief. Every week the other bloke would get the
better of brewer and show him up for the **** he is. It was NOT Ed China,
though (and I can't recall the name of that earlier show, either).

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

God that's pure ****e isn't it?! Lol
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 06-Jan-18 6:54 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be boring.
I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed China did
have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

Quite a few (unfortunately)

With May and Barlow (+ later Plato and Penny Mallory)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driven_(TV_series)

With Richard Sutton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_on_Wheels
(most likely as predecessor to wheeler dealer)

Edd China, Michele Newman, Mike Rutherford, and Sarah-Jane Mee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulling_Power

Also with Edd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Trader_(TV_series)
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/18 20:13, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?
--
Steve H

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I guess
he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic.
No labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

I think that in the later, American, version of the program they started
to mention something along the lines of: "...nd 45 hours of labour" at
the end as well.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

I think that in the later, American, version of the program they started
to mention something along the lines of: "...nd 45 hours of labour" at
the end as well.

*bangs head against wall*

Am I the only person who 'got' the whole fecking concept?

Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of fettling
you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would sometimes say 'you
can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be done it would cost up
to £400'.
--
Steve H
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/18 09:45, Steve H wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

I would have assumed so, yes.
As the series progressed his workshop got better abnd better kit.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/18 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

Its a 'reality' show.

Not how to fix up cars and make a profit.

Compare 'Fantom works' with 'overhaulin'. Fantomworks actially really
fixed cars on a budget. 'Overhaulin' was unlimited budget with a hot
chick presenter.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/18 09:45, Steve H wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

I would have assumed so, yes.
As the series progressed his workshop got better abnd better kit.

I'm guessing it was the show's workshop, as he was constructing
motorised sofas and bathtubs way before WD came along.
--
Steve H
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of fettling
you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would sometimes say 'you
can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be done it would cost up
to £400'.

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs
are included.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of
fettling you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would
sometimes say 'you can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be
done it would cost up to £400'.

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs
are included.

They fix then up to make a TV programme. Not the other way round.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

£2000 for a blowover? I really am out of touch.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham T wrote:
On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

£2000 for a blowover? I really am out of touch.

If you start out with perfect bodywork and merely want to change the
colour using a cheap paint, 2000 quid might do it. But of course would
have a limited life before the edges start fraying.

But if you want something approaching original on an older car, you can
multiply that a few times.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2018 09:45, Steve H wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

I really liked the programme and Edd; you got a lot of information about
problems with certain cars, problems which would get ordinary people
stumped. E.g. the accelerator problem on the Masarati with almost build
in failure after certain miles, and would cost a fortune to fix unless
well connected as Edd.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:31:52 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But if you want something approaching original on an older car, you can
multiply that a few times.

A bloke near me got his Bristol 411 *totally* re-painted to a very high
standard; it was a brilliant job they'd made of it. But it did cost him
10k.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

johannes wrote:

On 07/01/2018 09:45, Steve H wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

I really liked the programme and Edd; you got a lot of information about
problems with certain cars, problems which would get ordinary people
stumped. E.g. the accelerator problem on the Masarati with almost build
in failure after certain miles, and would cost a fortune to fix unless
well connected as Edd.

Edd obviously knows how to use the Internet. Because that's how I
usually find people to fix stuff like that. There is no special insider
knowledge required!
--
Steve H
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of fettling
you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would sometimes say 'you
can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be done it would cost up
to £400'.

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs
are included.

So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit of a
hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like pulling
teeth trying to explain this to people.
--
Steve H

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 23:49:59 +0000, Peter Hill wrote:

Quite a few (unfortunately)

With May and Barlow (+ later Plato and Penny Mallory)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driven_(TV_series)

With Richard Sutton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_on_Wheels (most
likely as predecessor to wheeler dealer)

Edd China, Michele Newman, Mike Rutherford, and Sarah-Jane Mee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulling_Power

Also with Edd https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Trader_(TV_series)

Anstead is an ex-copper, apparently. He must have thrown that career in
bloody early or else he got sacked. Now he's re-invented himself as a car
expert. There are some unaccountable holes in his CV. Anyone know a bit
more?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Steve H brought next idea :
So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit of a
hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like pulling
teeth trying to explain this to people.

Well, I fix my things up for my own benefit and use, often for the
entertainment and learning value. The object is never to resell them
because there would (usually) be no profit in doing that, once my
labour is taken into account. At the end of the shows, they cost
everything up, then call the difference between buying + parts and
selling, the profit margin. They never mention the very expensive cost
of labour.

They make it not appear to be a hobby, but rather a commercial
enterprise - an expert operating in an expensive well equipped workshop
working long hours on a project.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Steve H wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of
fettling you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would
sometimes say 'you can do this at home, but if you paid for it to
be done it would cost up to £400'.

It was not very often that Edd said this.

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs
are included.

So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit of
a hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like
pulling teeth trying to explain this to people.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Steve H brought next idea :
So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit
of a hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like
pulling teeth trying to explain this to people.

Well, I fix my things up for my own benefit and use, often for the
entertainment and learning value. The object is never to resell them
because there would (usually) be no profit in doing that, once my
labour is taken into account. At the end of the shows, they cost
everything up, then call the difference between buying + parts and
selling, the profit margin. They never mention the very expensive cost
of labour.

They make it not appear to be a hobby, but rather a commercial
enterprise - an expert operating in an expensive well equipped
workshop working long hours on a project.

The unmentioned overheads, going to USA to buy a car, hotels, car hire,
meals, bringing the car back etc, etc and a lot of etc were reasons why I
took the show with a pinch of salt. But it was a SHOW.
If anybody is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 16:26:55 +0000, Huge wrote:

It depends if I'm doing it because it amuses me and I'm enjoying myself.
In which case I don't cost my time at all. OTOH, if something is a PITA,
I cost it at my consultancy rate from when I was working.

You had a job once? Amazing!

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 16:36:09 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Steve H wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of
fettling you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would
sometimes say 'you can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be
done it would cost up to £400'.

It was not very often that Edd said this.

Actually, he does, in most episodes.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:05:51 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Actually, he does, in most episodes.

No he doesn't.

Yes he does. I admit I've only seen a dozen or so episodes in total but
in the ones going out on Quest at the moment he does.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:05:51 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Actually, he does, in most episodes.

No he doesn't.

Yes he does. I admit I've only seen a dozen or so episodes in total
but in the ones going out on Quest at the moment he does.

No he doesn't :-)
I've watched bits for the past too many years. He rarely says this is a job
you can do at home.
Okay, I do get ****ed off when the advertisement appear and I flip to the
Hitler Channel/ Documentaries/ Movie Channel.
The Thing was on last night!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35JDJLa9ec

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 19:02:43 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Chris wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:05:51 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Actually, he does, in most episodes.

No he doesn't.

Yes he does. I admit I've only seen a dozen or so episodes in total
but in the ones going out on Quest at the moment he does.

No he doesn't :-)
I've watched bits for the past too many years. He rarely says this
is a job you can do at home.
Okay, I do get ****ed off when the advertisement appear and I flip
to the Hitler Channel/ Documentaries/ Movie Channel.
The Thing was on last night!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35JDJLa9ec

Don't you have the ability to record so you can watch after it's
started and skip the ads? I haven't watched a single ad since the
VCR was invented.

I do not plan ahead to watch and record entertainment for the brainless
masses as you do, Birdbrain.
There is more going on in my busy life than watching silly television.
There is little going on in your waste of oxygen existence.
Do the nation a favour - kill your stupid self.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/18 09:45, Steve H wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I
guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he
appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

I would have assumed so, yes.
As the series progressed his workshop got better abnd better kit.

I'm guessing it was the show's workshop, as he was constructing
motorised sofas and bathtubs way before WD came along.

I remember speaking to him at Sata Pod many years ago (around the
mid-90s) and he was building all sorts of things then. While he was
reclining in his four-poster bed, he was telling us that he was stopped
by the police on the way there - they couldn't believe that it was legal
for a four-poster bed to be towing a settee (complete with table and
standard-lamp) on the road!

SteveW

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I caught the program on Sky or somewhere last night and was not too
impressed. I watch very little telly but when channel flipping I used to
watch bits of the old show.
I know that the old show was just a show, but I never found it to be boring.
I thought that the mechanic, Ant, had absolutely no charisma, Ed China did
have that.
The cockney ****, Mike Brewer seemed to be groveling to him.
Quite disappointing.
I won't be bothering again.
Forgive cross post to uk.d-i-y.

I liked Car S.O.S. a lot. I hope they do some more.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
Yerah. when it strays from geeks corner to relaity TV it can naff off.

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and
I guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd
came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me,
was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No
labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain
basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

They did specifically state a few times that labour costs were
deliberately excluded on the basis of it being a demonstration of what
you could do yourself and therefore there would be no labour costs -
which was fair enough in the early series where they were doing mainly
relatively simple mechanical repairs.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I never saw this statement about the labour costs, and I did look for it.
********.
As for doing the jobs at home, that was 90% ********. Unless you have a
ramp/pit/welding gear etc.

Wheeler Dealers fred[_8_] UK diy 10 July 3rd 12 08:14 PM
STERN-WHEELER J T Woodworking 0 January 14th 07 04:01 AM
OT; 3-wheeler started- the SOLUTION Nick Hull Metalworking 16 April 12th 06 10:56 PM
OT; 3-wheeler doesn't start Nick Hull Metalworking 38 April 11th 06 02:33 AM
plans for "Brush Hog" type mower for 4-wheeler Eric R Snow Metalworking 8 July 18th 03 12:20 PM