Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Is it me?

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
My complaint isn't about what was on at that moment, it was about the
sort of liberal leftist guff always being on. Why should I buy a TV
licence just to have this weird mindset given such dominance?

Why should I be forced to buy a licence when the BBC shows sport etc I
have no interest in?

I can answer that one. I don't expect them to only make progs that I will
always like. As everyone who pays for a licence will have different tastes.

They are more than welcome to do and broadcast whatever they want for as
long as they don't force themselves on the general population through
the the BBC-tax.

They are, after all, already acting as a commercial entity judging by
the salaries they pay themselves (£600,000 for reading the news of an
auto-cue?).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 12:48:14 +0000, Andrew wrote:

They don't understand the concept of fishing for a pastime.

Highlighting that for all the whinging, the UK is pretty rich, if people
can throw food back into a river rather than eat it.

Most coarse fish taste like cotton wool mixed with needles anyway.
Strip of bacon up the middle helps:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 15:49:40 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
My complaint isn't about what was on at that moment, it was about the
sort of liberal leftist guff always being on. Why should I buy a TV
licence just to have this weird mindset given such dominance?

Why should I be forced to buy a licence when the BBC shows sport etc I
have no interest in?

I can answer that one. I don't expect them to only make progs that I will
always like. As everyone who pays for a licence will have different tastes.

They are more than welcome to do and broadcast whatever they want for as
long as they don't force themselves on the general population through
the the BBC-tax.

They are, after all, already acting as a commercial entity judging by
the salaries they pay themselves (£600,000 for reading the news of an
auto-cue?).

Yes and they even give those jobs to people with speech deficiencies that are refered to by some as regional accents, it's outrageous !.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have heard of Roach Poles, make quite nice Aerial masts actually.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

The next item is about a fishery owner who has banned Polish anglers.

It seems to be at least eight years since he erected his sign

https://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/fishing-news/2009/scottish-fishery-boss-court-case-could-open-floodgates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
It's terrible that we can't
believe the BBC anymore.

Is that the Royal we, or are you a 'spokesperson for the community' now?

I'm speaking for the intelligent people.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:53:52 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 20/12/2017 09:44, Woody wrote:

Aligned with your comments it does beg the question of what the world
and especially this country is coming to, assisted of course by our
dear BBC and their "Britain only exists within the M25" viewpoint.

What a pity that more people don't realise that much of the broadcast
media is pulling the wool over their eyes. Of course for the young it's
always been the same so they have nothing to compare it with.

Not that I agree with all of your views on the state of the world and
Britain in general, but you only have to keep in mind the adage
(attributed to PT Barnum[1]) that "There's one born every minute." to
properly appreciate what the business of Radio and TV broadcasting is all
about (commercial advertising particularly).

All such "broadcasting to the nation" is propaganda of one sort or
another, even "Pure Entertainment" (and not just that used as "bait" to
hook "The Product" into watching the commercial propaganda of adverts by
the commercial TV channels).

Unless you've got plenty of time to spare on following up claims made by
any of this propaganda (news, advertising etc.), you're left to rely on
your own good sense of cynicism.

Way back in the 70s when the propaganda about the dangers of passive
smoking started to appear on buses, couched in terms of how many double
decker bus's worth were dying from the effects of passive smoking each
year, my question to that statement was, "Oh yes! And, pray tell me, how
many people are dying as a result of the pollution generated by all those
buses?" long before "Particulate Emissions" became a "Thing".

[1] Rightly or wrongly; either a misquote or someone else's quote.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/17 11:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:

Last week for two hours, the BBC News front page managed to have
absolutely nothing whatsoever about Brexit. Nothing. I actually saved the
page*. Not even a link.

I think it has become necessary to use a wide variety of news sources
and apply critical thought to everything. It's terrible that we can't
believe the BBC anymore.

in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the staggering
propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt ven argued over.

Omn my return in 1983, I realised the BBC was no different, just more
subtle at it.

Bill

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

The fishing club here have an inbuilt hatred of Eastern Europeans
based on the belief that they take caught fish to eat.

I would have thought that was the point of fishing!

In practice most prefer to torture the fish by sticking
a barbed hook in their mouth, yanking them out of
the water, putting their foot on them while getting
the hook out and then putting them back in the water.

Wonder why those who hate seeing foxes chased
by a horde of hooray henrys on horses with dogs
dont give a damn about the torture of fish.

Of course I'd expect to pay for the fish ...

So are these fisheries the equivalent of a cat cafe, where you get
to play with the cats for a short while but not take them home?

Next we'll see East Europeans banned from cat cafes ...

The chinese already are, they kill them and eat them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2017 12:22, Bill Wright wrote:

Yes I agree. But why was it on Look North when it happened in
Oxfordshire?

It is a slow news week oop north?

The excuse was that a Doncaster man was annoyed about it,
but if a Doncaster man was attempting to crowd fund an action about
something that happened in Oxfordshire that didn't have the bait word
'race' in it the BBC wouldn't have it on Look North.

I think I heard it on national news. I agree it's a storm in a teacup,
but I found it quite interesting as I've never heard of a whole racial
group being banned from fishing! It manages to be utterly bizarre yet
have some logic to it, which appeals to my sense of humour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup but after the insertion of the local anaesthetic needle it was all numb.
Managed to get diagnosed in time and had a radical prostatectomy a couple of years ago now. On lifetime regular 6 monthly blood tests to ensure no recurrence
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 18:13:08 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Thank you. Could you tell Hil I'm not allowed to use the vacuum cleaner
or wash the pots?

I could, but she probably won't take any notice of either of us.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2017 11:59, Jimbo ... wrote:

straight to hell...no 52 virgins for him ...

I was really, really angry to hear that this was no ordinary accident
but some complete **** racing on the public roads and proving that he
was a crap driver. Sadly, he didn't just remove himself from the gene pool.

I knew somebody who fancied himself as a racing driver. He died on a
race track, proving himself crap at it, but doing so in the right place.
He had an amazing car. A straight six with a separate carb on each
intake - I have no idea how he balanced them. It sounded incredible when
he came out of a corner and opened up the throttle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2017 14:51, alan_m wrote:

People catch foxes then release them back into the wild?

Yep, people catch urban foxes where they are a nuisance and release them
back into the countryside.

Where they probably starve to death?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 09:52:41 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
The fishing club here have an inbuilt hatred of Eastern Europeans
based on the belief that they take caught fish to eat.

I would have thought that was the point of fishing!

Those who don't fish rarely do see the point of it. A relation of mine has
caught the same carp several times at his favourite fishing lake. I'm
surprised they don't just get a room.

"magic fish"

https://oglaf.com/fish/

That specific cartoon is SFW, but most of the rest on that site are
definitely not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2017 09:43, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 09:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/20/2017 8:39 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:35:08 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Â* I idly look at the BBC news on
my phone. I read about the recent bad road accident in Birmingham. It
seems that "It is not known what caused the crash", and there are no
details about the 'men' in the car that crossed the central reservation
at 100mph and hit the other vehicle head on. However the innocent
victim
in that car is identified as a hard-working Asian with a large family.
Strange that yesterday's papers said that the car that caused the
accident was driven by an Asian drug baron who had recently been
released from prison following a 120mph chase. Funny how the BBC missed
that.

Comprehensive coverage on the BBC website.

Â* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-42408477

Late with the truth as usual. But at least they finally reported it.
There's hope yet.

Bill

How late it was reported yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
My complaint isn't about what was on at that moment, it was about the
sort of liberal leftist guff always being on. Why should I buy a TV
licence just to have this weird mindset given such dominance?

Why should I be forced to buy a licence when the BBC shows sport etc I
have no interest in?

I can answer that one. I don't expect them to only make progs that I will
always like. As everyone who pays for a licence will have different tastes.

What I would like is of the BBC to only make programs that are unlikely
to get large numbers of viewers - the commercial channels can take care
of anything that brings in mass audiences. I would expect that if I got
my wish, many things on the BBC wouldn't appeal to me, but some would
and different bits would appeal to different people.

SteveW

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:

I'm all for tolerating minorities and leaving them to do what they
want but I can't see why minority beliefs need to be paraded as
normal.

Being a member of an ethnic or sexual minority is not a belief.
Your idiotic and bigoted ideas are, though.

--
Bill Findlay
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2017 23:09, Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Bill Wright wrote:
My complaint isn't about what was on at that moment, it was about the
sort of liberal leftist guff always being on. Why should I buy a TV
licence just to have this weird mindset given such dominance?

Why should I be forced to buy a licence when the BBC shows sport etc I
have no interest in?

I can answer that one. I don't expect them to only make progs that I will
always like. As everyone who pays for a licence will have different
tastes.

What I would like is of the BBC to only make programs that are unlikely
to get large numbers of viewers - the commercial channels can take care
of anything that brings in mass audiences. I would expect that if I got
my wish, many things on the BBC wouldn't appeal to me, but some would
and different bits would appeal to different people.

I've often thought the same.

Where new talent is discovered, original programs created, and if
successful can transition to commercial channels.

Isn't that how it use to work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

No. Perhaps it should,[1] but the simple fact is that if the BBC only
appealed to minorities who wanted to try a new kind of programme in
their field the argument that they no longer provided a service for the
population would be used to withdraw substantially all their funding.
This has been obvious since the late fifties, and hence the need for the
BBC to appeal to a mass audience ever since 1956.

[1] though this argument would have been inappropriate when the BBC was
the only provider, when their policy was to give us a ration of
enjoyable stuff but with a preponderance of education and enlightenment,
that is, boring stuff.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Nope, there used to be no commercial channels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had my biopsy, rapidly followed by another MRI then a bone scan and the offending gland came out a month later. Traditional front incision (My choice of method). The surgeon could see what he was doing and achieve a clean removal. I didn't think poking around through tiny slits as other options offered was best way of dealing with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/17 22:55, pamela wrote:
On 18:17 20 Dec 2017, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 20/12/17 11:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:

Last week for two hours, the BBC News front page managed to
have absolutely nothing whatsoever about Brexit. Nothing. I
actually saved the page*. Not even a link.

I think it has become necessary to use a wide variety of news
sources and apply critical thought to everything. It's terrible
that we can't believe the BBC anymore.

in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the
staggering propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt
ven argued over.

Presumably you no longer consider yourself a true Brit after
completely abandoning the UK for several years.

Do you now have a South African passport?

Define "true Brit".
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/17 23:53, Bill Findlay wrote:
pamela wrote:

I'm all for tolerating minorities and leaving them to do what they
want but I can't see why minority beliefs need to be paraded as
normal.

Being a member of an ethnic or sexual minority is not a belief.
Your idiotic and bigoted ideas are, though.

So you supported the white minorities in Africa?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 23:53:15 UTC, Bill Findlay wrote:
pamela wrote:

I'm all for tolerating minorities and leaving them to do what they
want but I can't see why minority beliefs need to be paraded as
normal.

Being a member of an ethnic or sexual minority is not a belief.
Your idiotic and bigoted ideas are, though.

--
Bill Findlay

He never said it was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

alan_m Wrote in message:

People catch foxes then release them back into the wild?

Yep, people catch urban foxes where they are a nuisance and release them
back into the countryside.

For sport?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/12/2017 06:05, Richard wrote:

Define "true Brit".

It is a well known film title suffering from a typo

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
pamela wrote:
For example, we all known homosexuality is not normal but we
generally tolerate the aberration.

Care to define normal? If brown eyes are the most common does that make
those with green not normal?

Defining sexuality as normal or not would be fine if sex was only for
producing offspring. As some religious nutters would have you believe.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the staggering
propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt ven argued over.

Omn my return in 1983, I realised the BBC was no different, just more
subtle at it.

Yes. Stick to the Express for your unbiased news.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the
staggering propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt
ven argued over.

Presumably you no longer consider yourself a true Brit after
completely abandoning the UK for several years.

Do you now have a South African passport?

I'd guess he left when the white man was no longer god.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
My complaint isn't about what was on at that moment, it was about the
sort of liberal leftist guff always being on. Why should I buy a TV
licence just to have this weird mindset given such dominance?

Why should I be forced to buy a licence when the BBC shows sport etc I
have no interest in?

I can answer that one. I don't expect them to only make progs that I will
always like. As everyone who pays for a licence will have different tastes.

What I would like is of the BBC to only make programs that are unlikely
to get large numbers of viewers - the commercial channels can take care
of anything that brings in mass audiences. I would expect that if I got
my wish, many things on the BBC wouldn't appeal to me, but some would
and different bits would appeal to different people.

The problem with that is the majority could say the licence fee is even
more unfair.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2017 23:09, Steve Walker wrote:

What I would like is of the BBC to only make programs that are unlikely
to get large numbers of viewers

They would just F***-up anything they tried by employing a reject media
study's graduate to be in charge. The subject would be dumbed down, old
video footage would have added scratches or 405 line effects, there
would be extensive use of out-of-focus jerky camera movements and
commentary would be mumbled or drowned out with background music.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:09:45 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

What I would like is of the BBC to only make programs that are unlikely
to get large numbers of viewers

You mean like BBC4?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 18:32:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

The fishing club here have an inbuilt hatred of Eastern Europeans
based on the belief that they take caught fish to eat.

I would have thought that was the point of fishing!

In practice most prefer to torture the fish by sticking
a barbed hook in their mouth, yanking them out of
the water, putting their foot on them while getting
the hook out and then putting them back in the water.

I've not seen proper fisherman put their feet on the fish.
There's no evidence fish feel pain but they do feel discomfort.

Wonder why those who hate seeing foxes chased
by a horde of hooray henrys on horses with dogs
dont give a damn about the torture of fish.

Most do, but they can't prove that the fish feel pain which makes it difficult to ban fishing.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0808123719.htm

Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:

I'm all for tolerating minorities and leaving them to do what they
want but I can't see why minority beliefs need to be paraded as
normal.

Being a member of an ethnic or sexual minority is not a belief.

He never said it was.

He siad 'minoroty beliefs' and to those actually educated in this
country, that means 'beliefs belonging to a minority' e.g. that
'socialism can actually be made to work' etc. etc.

Your idiotic and bigoted ideas are, though.

How about the idiotic and bigoted ideas of Islamic minorities though?

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/12/17 06:05, Richard wrote:
On 20/12/17 22:55, pamela wrote:
On 18:17Â* 20 Dec 2017, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 20/12/17 11:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:

Last week for two hours, the BBC News front page managed to
have absolutely nothing whatsoever about Brexit. Nothing. I
actually saved the page*. Not even a link.

I think it has become necessary to use a wide variety of news
sources and apply critical thought to everything. It's terrible
that we can't believe the BBC anymore.

in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the
staggering propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt
ven argued over.

Presumably you no longer consider yourself a true Brit after
completely abandoning the UK for several years.

Do you now have a South African passport?

Define "true Brit".

Oh is Pamela stalking me again?

How sweet.

No dear, I do not have a south african passport, and your use of
perjorative language like 'abandoning the UK for three years' shows the
true depths of your bigotry.

I used to know a little girl at school called pamela.

The only thing I remember is that she used to wet her knickersand cry a
lot..