Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default OT Is it me?

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:53:52 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 20/12/2017 09:44, Woody wrote:

Aligned with your comments it does beg the question of what the world
and especially this country is coming to, assisted of course by our
dear BBC and their "Britain only exists within the M25" viewpoint.

What a pity that more people don't realise that much of the broadcast
media is pulling the wool over their eyes. Of course for the young it's
always been the same so they have nothing to compare it with.

Not that I agree with all of your views on the state of the world and
Britain in general, but you only have to keep in mind the adage
(attributed to PT Barnum[1]) that "There's one born every minute." to
properly appreciate what the business of Radio and TV broadcasting is all
about (commercial advertising particularly).

All such "broadcasting to the nation" is propaganda of one sort or
another, even "Pure Entertainment" (and not just that used as "bait" to
hook "The Product" into watching the commercial propaganda of adverts by
the commercial TV channels).

Unless you've got plenty of time to spare on following up claims made by
any of this propaganda (news, advertising etc.), you're left to rely on
your own good sense of cynicism.

Way back in the 70s when the propaganda about the dangers of passive
smoking started to appear on buses, couched in terms of how many double
decker bus's worth were dying from the effects of passive smoking each
year, my question to that statement was, "Oh yes! And, pray tell me, how
many people are dying as a result of the pollution generated by all those
buses?" long before "Particulate Emissions" became a "Thing".

[1] Rightly or wrongly; either a misquote or someone else's quote.

--
Johnny B Good