Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad 2

Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Maybe post on uk.comp.sys.mac - quite a few knowledgeable folk on there,
including a few who fix them for a living.

Otherwise - charge for an hour, home and power buttons held down for 15
seconds to hard reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201412.

It may be the battery, but I've an ipad of a similar age and it
takes/holds charge fine.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

First thing to try is putting it on a known working charger and lead. Leads
fail not that infrequently, chargers less often but do die sometimes.

There may well be back-ups but theyll be in the iCloud. If your relation
buys a new iPad or iPhone contacts, messages, photos etc should all be
accessible (assuming they had iCloud backup activated).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

Surely apple would do the same as M$ do with win10 and make each release
of the OS a bit more responsive as well as adding features?

Maybe its just the apps that are getting bloated?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 08:21, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/12/2017 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a
while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a
caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to
hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

I still use an iPad 2. It isn't as quick as the newer models and can't
run the latest OS etc but is useful.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 01:52, RJH wrote:
[...]

Good advice.

There are various 'tricks' to unlock a 'dead' iPad on the web- some
using a PC with iTunes. The iPad can get itself into a 'muddle'. I've
used several over the years when I had a batch of then in my classroom.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/14/2017 9:22 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Most would say at that age they are probably junk.

DIGITAL squandering the worlds resources ......

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

All sorts of things here on iPhones and iPads

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audiphone

And iFixit.com, YouTube, https://www.rossmanngroup.com etc...

Have to be a dedicated maniac to want to revive something that old, as
basically all you will have is the standard apps the last OS build came
with, and limited (if any) access to Apple's AppStore (which is changing
to something else) let alone decisions by app developers not to support
older devices.

It could be jailbroken to support apps distributed on Cydia, and there
are caches of old install files available for the latter. On a security
perspective, do you trust any of that? I have and now wouldn't.

Short answer, as life's too short. Bin it.

Cheap new Android tablets from Amazon/eBay have more functionality.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)

There may be something backup wise lurking in the Cloud - assuming they
know their login details take a look there for any backups.

Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

Cex might be worth talking to. Some of their techies aren't bad if you
want a paid for repair. They might even offer you a small amount of cash
for it as spare parts. Or sell you a very similar replacement.

ISTR The DIY way into older iPads involves a sharpened paint scraper and
a very steady hand. I have a feeling the newer ones are stuck together
on a once and forever basis. I know someone who has done it to old iPads
but I have never seen it done. They are the local Hackintosh wizard.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

First thing to try is power it up with a known good cable and leave it.
Even if the battery is toast it should still work when it is getting
external power (perhaps after an hour or so delay). It is a bit
surprising that they have killed the battery - they seem remarkably
resilient. Our iPad2 still holds some charge. I have my wife's cast off.
My Tesco Hudl android by comparison is younger and barely lasts any time
at all without being connected to a power source.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Ask in the various Apple groups for hints on the symptoms and tests once
you have it in hand. It may well be unrepairable because of its age.

I suggest you try repair strategies in increasing order of damage caused
if they go wrong. They are definitely tricky to dismantle. A hard system
reset might be a better strategy before doing anything too violent.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/17 10:28, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Yes. They are driven by marketing to accept each OS upgrade, but their
hardware won't support new features and either have to accept
performance crippling workarounds or reduced functionality otherwise.
Getting clarity from Apple whether an Upgrade is worthwhile per device
is difficult - but there are blogs, youtubers etc...

Security updates are still available for older OS platforms if folks
stick back like XP limpets, but I suspect whatever is still available
for the iPad 2 might be past that support?*. My 1G iPod touch certainly
is... and heading for the bin unless I sensibly can make it an internal
thin-client for something and block direct internet access.

* - dunno.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 08:22:03 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/12/2017 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

For teh same reasons PC appear to get slower otherwise we woukldn;t need 3GHz for word we could still by a 100MHz pentium to run it, but because of what is expected the software does get more complex as regards what it does so needs more processing power to do those things.

Surely apple would do the same as M$ do with win10 and make each release
of the OS a bit more responsive as well as adding features?

IS that what M$ does, I don't think I've noticed.
Other than when the cut out the the memory checking at startup which made boot times faster.

Maybe its just the apps that are getting bloated?

They get to do more and the OS gets to do more so takes longer to do it.
My old BBC computer from 1981 starts up much faster than my ipad air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 10:28:08 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Same with PCs or perhaps yuo can explain why 100MHz pentiums aren't still in use, why do PCs need to be 2-3 GHz .
Why is the minimum requirement for W10 a 1GHz processor ?
Why must it have 1GB of ram ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower

Same with PCs

Over the long term yes requirements have gone up, but recently not so
much, I have machines that started life as Win7, endured Win8.x and now
run Win10 and feel faster as a result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 00:21:39 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while..
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

As some have said leave it on charge for at least an hour[1] even if the creen appears dead. Then hold down the home button and the start button until the apple logo appears and this can take 10, 20 or even 30 seconds.

It could be that it ins't charging and the most common reasons (excluding a dodgy lead, especaily lightning ones) is that a small bit of fluff becomes wedged and compressed in the socket of the ipad so small that without a magnifying glass you won;t see it then the problem comes how to get someting out you can't see.
I wouldn't advise WD40 or 3-in-1 , but with the ipad powered down a pin or paperclip might free up a stubborn bit of dust that had taken root, just like fluff does in belly buttons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I think a wooden tooth pick might be better than a metal paper clip.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 11:27:43 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower

Same with PCs

Over the long term yes requirements have gone up, but recently not so
much, I have machines that started life as Win7, endured Win8.x and now
run Win10 and feel faster as a result.

Are you sure it wasn't because previous versions of windows were crap.
They did remove the memoery startup check in one version of windows (not those above) in order to speed up the machine but it was more of an illusion.
PCs that I have used also run faster when they are not virus checked, and when you switch off certains graphics tweeks in the past.

Don't forget that ipads haven't neen out very long to consider them as long term like PC computers have, PCs about 35 years iPad 7 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 11:53:24 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Yes that should do too, if you can find one, I saved a few cocktails sticks from a party I went too, I had to eat a number of cheese and pinapple offerings and some cocktail sausages just to get some free tools. At work I actually brought a few hundred but never remmebered to 'borrow' any for at home and at home I can always find a safety pin or safety clip but rarely a tooth pick as I don't use them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Boots sell them

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Same with PCs or perhaps yuo can explain why 100MHz pentiums aren't still in use, why do PCs need to be 2-3 GHz .

They don't, but windows runs a bit slow on 120MHz pentiums with 48MB RAM
like the one I used to run my Kodak APS scanner.

Why is the minimum requirement for W10 a 1GHz processor ?
Why must it have 1GB of ram ?

Because it doesn't need 2GB of RAM like win8 did and most people
wouldn't be happy with one much slower.
It actually runs quite well on much less than that but you also want to
run some applications on the OS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 11:27, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower

Same with PCs

Over the long term yes requirements have gone up, but recently not so
much, I have machines that started life as Win7, endured Win8.x and now
run Win10 and feel faster as a result.

The OS has been getting more responsive since win10 was introduced.
Applications, in general, run at the same speed.
Just shows that a bit of time invested in optimising stuff still works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Same with PCs or perhaps yuo can explain why 100MHz pentiums aren't still in use, why do PCs need to be 2-3 GHz .

They don't, but windows runs a bit slow on 120MHz pentiums with 48MB RAM
like the one I used to run my Kodak APS scanner.

a bit slow in what way ?

Why is the minimum requirement for W10 a 1GHz processor ?
Why must it have 1GB of ram ?

Because it doesn't need 2GB of RAM like win8 did

Not according to M$
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...m-requirements

Processor. 1 gigahertz (GHz)* or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
RAM. 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

and most people
wouldn't be happy with one much slower.

But that doesnlt explain why computers appear to slow down does it.

It actually runs quite well on much less than that but you also want to
run some applications on the OS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

If you have the patience. ;-). Seriously, once youve used one of the
newer iPads youll never want to use an iPad 2 again.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Given the low screen resolution (by modern standards) and sluggish
performance I would absolutely agree that its not worth spending money on.

If its a software glitch or just needs a new cable or charger, fair enough
if the owner was still finding it useful but if they can afford a newer one
it would be far smarter use of his/her money.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 13:05:33 UTC, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So do lots of places, but that doesn't mean I'll have one as I have little use for them, but I have punk friends so safety pins are readily found than toothpicks ;-)

You're like one of my students that asked me for a black and white golfing umbrella and was suprise I didn't hand him one there and then.

Yesterday a phone call told me that a courier had deliverd my TV to the wrong building (estates) and she appologised and would get it sent over to me.
But I hadn't ordered a TV, it was a Gym Mat - Crash Mat - Exercise Mat that was ordered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree but there you go.
I'd like it to be different myself. I still have a 1960s amplifier working
doubles as a room heater in the winter.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 12/14/2017 9:22 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Most would say at that age they are probably junk.

DIGITAL squandering the worlds resources ......

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....
4dhj...falling out with the locals since summer '76

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 14/12/2017 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

They actually do a lot more now, most obviously with background
stuff and that does mean that it slower than it once was.

Maybe its just the apps that are getting bloated?

Nope, they do more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

You mention backups, its all done via the cloud nowadays, but very few
apps will be around now that support the old OS I'd imagine.

But nothing to stop you continuing to use what you always did use.

"RJH" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade makes
the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new one.

Never seen that with mine. I only changed from the 5 to the 6S
to get applepay and the 5 that I keep as a backup is noticeably
slower to use and now cant run the latest iOSs. Doesnt do 4G in
most of the country either, doesnt have the band we use for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
dennis@home wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Should have mentioned that an iPad 2 will be painfully slow to use now
though and is overdue for replacement.

Why would it be slower than when it was bought?

It seems an accepted truth among iThing users that each IOS upgrade
makes the device slower and slower until they feel 'forced' to buy a new
one.

Mmmm contrast that with windoze....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/12/2017 01:52, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes. Should have said that has been tried and doesn't work. As has a
different power lead etc.

What I'm considering - as it's scrap anyway - is opening it up and
powering it off my bench top supply. Thinking it may be the power
management side which has failed. Just to recover the data on it. But
asking my Apple using pals, they all go on about clouds and things. I was
hoping the data could be transferred to a DVD.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/12/2017 01:52, RJH wrote:
[...]

Looking for their data on the iCloud would be the first thing to try
though - then they can buy a nice shiny new one for Christmas and
download their stuff back onto it from the cloud. Some antique software
may not work on the new model - not sure how Apple manages that.

I know that my ancient one grumbles at me that it hasn't been backed up
when it is woken from slumber. It needs to be plugged in on charge and
connected to the internet for an iCloud backup to run.

It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to CD,
etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data recovery
from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on their
cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign
to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to CD,
etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data recovery
from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on their
cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign
to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need to
understand how they work to use one. They just do.

By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:37:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to CD,
etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

Not really, but it depends on the data, you can back up and ipad to a PC or Mac or the cloud (if you have enough apple cloud storage).
Then with your new ipad when promted type in your apple ID and then the new ipad will download all the data from your backup whether it's from the cloud or computer.
If the ipd2 is faulty and you have no backup there's little chance of getting the data off it, but it does depend what is or isn't working on the ipad2.

if teh iPad isn't booting up I;d say there's no chance of getting the data off.

There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data recovery
from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on their
cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign
to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

That's the key to why apple products are popular you don't need to know how they work just that they do. People that drive don't have to know how an intenal combustion engine works or how the differntail works, thiose that go on planes don't need to know how they manage to stay in the air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need to
understand how they work to use one. They just do.

So this one failing is unique, then? ;-)

By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.

Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this problem
yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an iPad was to a
'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case, I'm happy to use 'bug ridden
bloatware'

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Enabling iPad roaming via text fred UK diy 1 January 30th 13 02:56 PM
Article: iPad for Carpenters Larry Jaques[_4_] Woodworking 8 June 26th 11 03:21 PM
iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 12:04 AM
magnesium + smoking - China iPad´polishing plant¡ explosion ? James Waldby[_3_] Metalworking 0 May 21st 11 11:57 PM
OT - iPad in the news today ... Swingman Woodworking 86 February 9th 10 02:08 PM