Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad 2

On Friday, 15 December 2017 13:08:51 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need to
understand how they work to use one. They just do.

So this one failing is unique, then? ;-)

No more than any other device would do.

By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.

Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this problem
yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an iPad was to a
'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case,

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the case then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a cloud.

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden
bloatware'

How do you back it up ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this
problem yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an
iPad was to a 'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case,

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the case
then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a cloud.

Both have iPhones (never put them down) and Apple laptops.

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'

How do you back it up ?

Aren't you a university tech? And need to ask how to backup data without
going online? No wonder the education system is in such a mess.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 13:41:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this
problem yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an
iPad was to a 'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case,

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the case
then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a cloud.

Both have iPhones (never put them down) and Apple laptops.

Do they backup their phones, I doubt it, I don't usually bother haven't done so for 3 months now. Where do andriod or blackberry or M$ users back up their phones ?

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'

How do you back it up ?

Aren't you a university tech? And need to ask how to backup data without
going online? No wonder the education system is in such a mess.

I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an adndriod phone to a hard disc.

We don't back up peoples phones, and I don't know how to backup an andriod device as I haven't one. I;'m not supose to back up studetns devices to our servers either I dn;t have the passwords needed, htye donl;t even have a system for backing up Macs to their servers, so I just use Time Machine and email when I need to.

How do you back up an andriod phone ?

seems you need 3rd party software that doens;t run on the Mac.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an adndriod
phone to a hard disc.

If you plug my Samsung into my PC with a USB lead it sees the memory card
like any other storage device.

I have MyPhoneExplorer on phone and PC. Allows you to backup everything on
the phone easily, via Wi-Fi or cable. And makes editing the contact list
etc much easier using a proper keyboard.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while.
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

Not sure if anyone else said this .... both my old iPod, and my old iPad
2 will appear dead, black screen etc., if the battery is drained
completely. You have to have the charger plugged in for some minutes,
before the "Charging" icon appears, and shortly after that normal
service is resumed.

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another John wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the
power supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery
for a while. Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever
;-) Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

Not sure if anyone else said this .... both my old iPod, and my old iPad
2 will appear dead, black screen etc., if the battery is drained
completely. You have to have the charger plugged in for some minutes,
before the "Charging" icon appears, and shortly after that normal
service is resumed.

I'm told she Googled the problem and found out that sort of thing. And
tried the various fixes.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Martin Brown wrote

It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on
a PC using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to
CD, etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

Nope, that only works with a very limited subset of what
on the ipad, mostly just the photos and some music.

And if you can get that level of access, it should be possible to
use itunes to backup much more and restore it a different device.

There is no question of this old one ever being used again.
Data recovery from it is the only important bit. I assume the
owner had looked on their cloud or whatever if they have one.

You can't assume that, many don’t even realise
there is icloud backups of the idevice.

(As I said, Apple is totally foreign to me. Everyone who has one raves
about it - but doesn't seem to know much about how they work. ;-))

That last is just plain wrong with backups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need to
understand how they work to use one. They just do.

So this one failing is unique, then? ;-)

By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.

Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this problem
yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an iPad was to a
'cloud' somewhere.

They're wrong. You have always been free to use itunes
and back it up to your own PC or MAC etc too.

If that is the case,

It isnt.

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'

More fool you. Completely automatic backup to the
cloud leaves anything else for dead, particularly with
the level of user like the owner of that ipad 2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this
problem yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an
iPad was to a 'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case,

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the case
then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a cloud.

Both have iPhones (never put them down) and Apple laptops.

Then they are free to backup to their laptops. Even if they arent apple
laptops.

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'

How do you back it up ?

Aren't you a university tech? And need to
ask how to backup data without going online?

He's asking how YOU do your backups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this
problem yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an
iPad was to a 'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case,

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the
case
then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a
cloud.

Both have iPhones (never put them down) and Apple laptops.

Do they backup their phones, I doubt it, I don't usually bother haven't
done so for
3 months now. Where do andriod or blackberry or M$ users back up their
phones ?

Anywhere they like.

I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'

How do you back it up ?

Aren't you a university tech? And need to ask how to backup data without
going online? No wonder the education system is in such a mess.

I know how to back up data, but I don't know how
to connect an adndriod phone to a hard disc.

You dont do it that way.

We don't back up peoples phones, and I don't know
how to backup an andriod device as I haven't one.
I;'m not supose to back up studetns devices to our
servers either I dn;t have the passwords needed, htye
donl;t even have a system for backing up Macs to their
servers, so I just use Time Machine and email when I need to.

How do you back up an andriod phone ?

Any way you like.

seems you need 3rd party software

Nope.

that doens;t run on the Mac.

You're wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-15, Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to
CD,
etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data
recovery
from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on
their
cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign
to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know
much
about how they work. ;-))

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need
to understand how they work to use one. They just do.

Except when they don't

They do actually.

By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.

These days they are much of a muchness.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you
usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC
using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to CD,
etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data recovery
from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on their
cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign
to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much
about how they work. ;-))

It's not that complicated - iCloud is just online storage that comes
'free' when a new user creates an account. Creating an account is part
of initialising a new device - you can get round it, but I'd imagine not
many do. And backing up tends to happen automatically by default.

If the one you're using is broken beyond repair (and I'd take it to an
Apple shop before binning it), I think the first thing to do would be
for them to buy their new iPad and log on, using the credentials they
used on the dead iPad. I think there'd be a pretty good chance it'd be
restored from the online backup.

I doubt very much that there's a hard disk inside that can be plugged in
and read without considerable work. And if they're expecting the data in
a usable form that can be used on, say, a Windows computer - science
fiction.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data
recovery from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had
looked on their cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple
is totally foreign to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but
doesn't seem to know much about how they work. ;-))

It's not that complicated - iCloud is just online storage that comes
'free' when a new user creates an account. Creating an account is part
of initialising a new device - you can get round it, but I'd imagine not
many do. And backing up tends to happen automatically by default.

My relation is a long term Apple user - as is her partner. I'd assume they
knows this.

If the one you're using is broken beyond repair (and I'd take it to an
Apple shop before binning it),

That has already been tried. More than one, too.

I think the first thing to do would be
for them to buy their new iPad and log on, using the credentials they
used on the dead iPad. I think there'd be a pretty good chance it'd be
restored from the online backup.

It would seem not in this case.

I doubt very much that there's a hard disk inside that can be plugged in
and read without considerable work. And if they're expecting the data in
a usable form that can be used on, say, a Windows computer - science
fiction.

Never even thought it could all be used on a PC. But if the data was
copied raw, may be possible to read it with another Apple machine.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK - I'd underestimated a fair bit. Can they post to usenet -
uk.comp.sys.mac has some knowledgeable people.

I doubt very much that there's a hard disk inside that can be plugged in
and read without considerable work. And if they're expecting the data in
a usable form that can be used on, say, a Windows computer - science
fiction.

Never even thought it could all be used on a PC. But if the data was
copied raw, may be possible to read it with another Apple machine.

Maybe, but after all that kerfuffle over the FBI's recent attempt to
crack the contents of a suspect's iphone, I can't see it being easy. --
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
Ah, OK - I'd underestimated a fair bit. Can they post to usenet -
uk.comp.sys.mac has some knowledgeable people.

I think she'd rather have it fixed for her, than ask on such a group.

I doubt very much that there's a hard disk inside that can be plugged
in and read without considerable work. And if they're expecting the
data in a usable form that can be used on, say, a Windows computer -
science fiction.

Never even thought it could all be used on a PC. But if the data was
copied raw, may be possible to read it with another Apple machine.

Maybe, but after all that kerfuffle over the FBI's recent attempt to
crack the contents of a suspect's iphone, I can't see it being easy. --
Cheers, Rob

But that was a working but locked phone. If I could get this thing to
power up by perhaps direct connection of an external PS to the PCB, it
might function as normal.

Just that most 'won't power up' type faults to tend to be associated with
the power management on the device. On many things, that is.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
[...]

Well unless they have disabled cloud backup it really ought to work with a
new IPad. Have they or havent they tried?

I think you need to get a bit of clarification about what theyve done.
Generally, all thats needed with a new iPad is to log in with you account
details and then all the stuff on iCloud is available again along with
reinstallation of all apps etc. It shouldnt matter that the old iPad is
dead, everything of importance should be backed up.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 December 2017 18:31:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an adndriod
phone to a hard disc.

If you plug my Samsung into my PC with a USB lead it sees the memory card
like any other storage device.

Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways.
You can;t take an iPad to and treat it the same as a samsung device.

I have MyPhoneExplorer on phone and PC. Allows you to backup everything on
the phone easily, via Wi-Fi or cable. And makes editing the contact list
etc much easier using a proper keyboard.

Same with iDevices and Macs since 2007.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an
adndriod phone to a hard disc.

If you plug my Samsung into my PC with a USB lead it sees the memory
card like any other storage device.

Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways.
You can;t take an iPad to and treat it the same as a samsung device.

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant,
since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease. So I assumed you wanted
to know about them. Silly me.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 December 2017 14:31:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an
adndriod phone to a hard disc.

If you plug my Samsung into my PC with a USB lead it sees the memory
card like any other storage device.

Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways.
You can;t take an iPad and treat it the same as a samsung device.

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant,
since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease.

What is this Turnip disease ?

So I assumed you wanted
to know about them. Silly me.

yes silly you, why would I want to know about andriod devices I don't own one and the OP was asking about iPads and the last time I checked (last night) iPads do not run on Andriod software, so why are you talking about andriod ? iPads use IOS.
I don't think the iPad2 can install ios10 let alone 11 the latest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways.
You can;t take an iPad and treat it the same as a samsung device.

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant,
since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease.

What is this Turnip disease ?

What you apparently have.

So I assumed you wanted
to know about them. Silly me.

yes silly you, why would I want to know about andriod devices I don't
own one and the OP was asking about iPads

I am the OP, silly boy.

and the last time I checked (last night) iPads do not run on Andriod
software, so why are you talking about andriod ? iPads use IOS. I don't
think the iPad2 can install ios10 let alone 11 the latest.

I know I'll regret this. Why did you ask about Android phones, then? You
do remember what you've posted a day or so ago?

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 December 2017 15:02:20 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways.
You can;t take an iPad and treat it the same as a samsung device.

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant,
since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease.

What is this Turnip disease ?

What you apparently have.

So you don't actually know then do you.

So I assumed you wanted
to know about them. Silly me.

yes silly you, why would I want to know about andriod devices I don't
own one and the OP was asking about iPads

I am the OP, silly boy.

Really so why are you asking about andriod devices when you have an iPad ?

and the last time I checked (last night) iPads do not run on Andriod
software, so why are you talking about andriod ? iPads use IOS. I don't
think the iPad2 can install ios10 let alone 11 the latest.

I know I'll regret this. Why did you ask about Android phones, then? You
do remember what you've posted a day or so ago?

Show me where I asked about andriod phones, as I don't remmebr asking about then as I have no reason to ask about them.

Enabling iPad roaming via text fred UK diy 1 January 30th 13 02:56 PM
Article: iPad for Carpenters Larry Jaques[_4_] Woodworking 8 June 26th 11 03:21 PM
iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 12:04 AM
magnesium + smoking - China iPad´polishing plant¡ explosion ? James Waldby[_3_] Metalworking 0 May 21st 11 11:57 PM
OT - iPad in the news today ... Swingman Woodworking 86 February 9th 10 02:08 PM