Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default iPad 2

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Martin Brown wrote

It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on
a PC using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply
internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in.
One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it
recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to
CD, etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?

Nope, that only works with a very limited subset of what
on the ipad, mostly just the photos and some music.

And if you can get that level of access, it should be possible to
use itunes to backup much more and restore it a different device.

There is no question of this old one ever being used again.
Data recovery from it is the only important bit. I assume the
owner had looked on their cloud or whatever if they have one.

You can't assume that, many don’t even realise
there is icloud backups of the idevice.

(As I said, Apple is totally foreign to me. Everyone who has one raves
about it - but doesn't seem to know much about how they work. ;-))

That last is just plain wrong with backups.