Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad 2

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 00:21:39 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power
supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while..
Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-)
Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.

If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy,
and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.

It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear
from anyone who knows these things well.

As some have said leave it on charge for at least an hour[1] even if the creen appears dead. Then hold down the home button and the start button until the apple logo appears and this can take 10, 20 or even 30 seconds.

It could be that it ins't charging and the most common reasons (excluding a dodgy lead, especaily lightning ones) is that a small bit of fluff becomes wedged and compressed in the socket of the ipad so small that without a magnifying glass you won;t see it then the problem comes how to get someting out you can't see.
I wouldn't advise WD40 or 3-in-1 , but with the ipad powered down a pin or paperclip might free up a stubborn bit of dust that had taken root, just like fluff does in belly buttons.