Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Buying a new mattress

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid?Â* Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money.Â* Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
"dennis@home" writes
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid?* Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up
to silly money.* Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.

I hear what you say, and have done so in earlier years, but I'm not
convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes, is really
helpful. Most people will find almost any bed comfortable for a few
minutes, particularly on a shopping trip. I have found the same on
holiday - what initially seems fine can be less so, after a few nights.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I'm not convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes,
is really helpful.

There seem to be a few new manufacturers doing internet orders and 100
day no-hassle returns (Eve/Casper/Simba). They seem to arrive rolled up
so I guess are probably memory foam, if you're looking for firm, perhaps
not the right style.

I have a JL pocket sprung one that's past its best, but I'll look at
them again when I get round to replacing, probably going for higher
spring count but trying to avoid 4 figure prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 09:32:28 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

We changed ours last year for a Sealy Posturepedic. Bensons for Beds had
an offer on them. They are firm and I find them comfortable.

One type I would avoid are the ones with a pillow top (or whatever the
fancy name is) - if you want a bit of softness twixt mattress and you
then try a cheap duvet on top of the mattress, that's what we have on my
wife's side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

I'm not convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes,
is really helpful.

There seem to be a few new manufacturers doing internet orders and 100 day
no-hassle returns (Eve/Casper/Simba). They seem to arrive rolled up so I
guess are probably memory foam,

why don't they remember that they were rolled up?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 10:22, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 09:32:28 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

We changed ours last year for a Sealy Posturepedic. Bensons for Beds had
an offer on them. They are firm and I find them comfortable.

One type I would avoid are the ones with a pillow top (or whatever the
fancy name is) - if you want a bit of softness twixt mattress and you
then try a cheap duvet on top of the mattress, that's what we have on my
wife's side.

My wife is very happy with one of these (Which? best buy).

https://www.dormeo.co.uk/sale/dormeo...-mattress.html

I find memory foam a bit warm. I've always been impressed by the
mattresses in Premier Inns, and they used to advertise the brand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 09:32:28 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

About a year ago I bought a couple of single size (to go on a king
size double bed - we prefer separate mattresses) Silentnight Miracoil
mattresses. Very pleased with them, would buy again.

Bought from John Lewis, slightly more money than other places but they
carried the new ones upstairs, removed all the packing and took the
old ones away, when the other places didn't do this..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I find memory foam a bit warm.

Me too, there are ones which claim to be a bit cooler nowadays.

I've always been impressed by the
mattresses in Premier Inns, and they used to advertise the brand.

Hypnos I think, but they have a wide range of prices to suit all wallets
like everyone else and their website says the ones in hotels are
different from the ones in the shops.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:

took the old ones away

for £30 or so ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid?Â* Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money.Â* Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

I have been happy with then Reylon pocket spring mattresses I have
bought from web sites. The mattresses are typically available in
different stiffness. Delivery typically 6 weeks or so.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

The missus bought a Dreams Sleepeezee Kennedy a few years ago. It is
silly money, and I sulked a bit at the time :-) But I have to admit
that it is one of the best things we've ever bought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid?Â* Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money.Â* Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Which? Magazine Sept 2017 (p. 54+) had a Test Lab on Mattresses. Can't
find it online (yet?) on which.co.uk, but I'm sure it (or someone else)
will be along with it shortly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 11:09, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

I find memory foam a bit warm.

Me too, there are ones which claim to be a bit cooler nowadays.

I've always been impressed by the
mattresses in Premier Inns, and they used to advertise the brand.

Hypnos I think, but they have a wide range of prices to suit all wallets
like everyone else and their website says the ones in hotels are
different from the ones in the shops.

Oh, right. At one time Premier were posting "ads" that said you could
buy the same ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Hypnos [...] website says the ones in hotels are different from the
ones in the shops.

At one time Premier were posting "ads" that said you could buy the
same ones.

It seems you can buy the same spec that Premier Inns use, just not in
shops, and it comes with half the length of warranty c.f. buying a
branded Hypnos one ...

http://premierinnbed.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 12:06:30 PM UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

The missus bought a Dreams Sleepeezee Kennedy a few years ago. It is
silly money, and I sulked a bit at the time :-) But I have to admit
that it is one of the best things we've ever bought.

I got a dreams mattress in the summer. It cost around £300 ( just over I think). It was in one of their sales. Its a 1500 pocket sprung. Firm. Its a very nice mattress. It was free delivery and the men brought it straight into the bedroom and onto the bed for me. They were very good ( even took their shoes off - I didnt ask or need them to do that. It was a dreams policy).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

The missus bought a Dreams Sleepeezee Kennedy a few years ago. It is
silly money, and I sulked a bit at the time :-) But I have to admit
that it is one of the best things we've ever bought.

I got a dreams mattress in the summer. It cost around £300 ( just over I think). It was in one of their sales. Its a 1500 pocket sprung. Firm. Its a very nice mattress. It was free delivery and the men brought it straight into the bedroom and onto the bed for me. They were very good ( even took their shoes off - I didnt ask or need them to do that. It was a dreams policy).

I'm a very poor sleeper - I wake up at the slightest disturbance or
discomfort. Our mattress helps a lot, which I why I am rather
enthusiastic about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message . com,
"dennis@home" writes
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.

I hear what you say, and have done so in earlier years, but I'm not
convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes, is really
helpful. Most people will find almost any bed comfortable for a few
minutes, particularly on a shopping trip. I have found the same on
holiday - what initially seems fine can be less so, after a few nights.

Yeah, and I have gone thru months where I find the current
mattress quite uncomfortable for part of the night, and then
go thru months with it never being a problem at all.

I'm not convinced that there is an answer.

You don't even get a consistent story on whether
water beds are a good type of bed either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-10-01, Graeme wrote:
In message . com,
"dennis@home" writes
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up
to silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.

I hear what you say, and have done so in earlier years, but I'm not
convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes, is really
helpful.

So spend an hour or two. S'what we did.

Doesnt work either. I never had any problem with a nap for an hour
or two and yes, I usually do nap for that long. But have had problems
with a particular mattress being comfortable all night. Bad enough
that the discomfort woke me in the early morning.

And then I can go for months with it fine all night, on the same mattress.

Not clear if the difference is me turning over more for months
and then not turning over as much for months or what.

Guess I should really try a time lapse IR camera to check that or
something, but I'm currently in the sleep right thru the night fine phase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
John Lewis in the middle of London will let you stay a night to test them
apparently.

Fark, must remember that when I need to stay free overnight in london.

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

I find memory foam a bit warm.

Me too, there are ones which claim to be a bit cooler nowadays.

I've always been impressed by the
mattresses in Premier Inns, and they used to advertise the brand.

Hypnos I think, but they have a wide range of prices to suit all wallets
like everyone else and their website says the ones in hotels are
different from the ones in the shops.

I was in a Premier Inn last weekend. Dunno whether it was the mattress or
something I ate but I utterly drenched the bed in my sweat. Can't remember
our room number so I'd just say avoid Pontefract for a bit. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid?Â* Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money.Â* Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

I bought a generic memory foam mattress about 10 years ago and it's
fine. I like it because it doesn't need turning and seems to be a
hygienic material. Also, and I suppose this is the best recommendation,
I don't give it a thought.

I gather this is the sort of thing that should be tried before bought. I
don't think I'm that fussy though - for some reason I can sleep fine on
a hard floor, and had a cheap futon for about 20 years.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"Huge" wrote in message

So spend an hour or two. S'what we did.

Doesnt work either. I never had any problem with a nap for an hour
or two and yes, I usually do nap for that long.

I tend to agree with Rod, in that I can nap for an hour or so, almost
anywhere, at any time. Probably too many years commuting by train.

Thanks for all the comments, which are useful. I see a trip to John
Lewis and one or two other shops in my future :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 08:08:38 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"Huge" wrote in message

So spend an hour or two. S'what we did.

Doesnt work either. I never had any problem with a nap for an hour or
two and yes, I usually do nap for that long.

I tend to agree with Rod, in that I can nap for an hour or so, almost
anywhere, at any time. Probably too many years commuting by train.

I went through a phase when I was napping from about 1730 to 1830 on some
days, at home. My son had drum lessons in the next room. Didn't bother me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 16:30:24 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 09:44 1 Oct 2017, Graeme wrote:

In message
. com,
"dennis@home" writes
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or
types to avoid?* Looking at John Lewis, where they start
around £250 and go up to silly money.* Are those in the £300
range acceptable?

Only you can decide. Try them.

I hear what you say, and have done so in earlier years, but I'm
not convinced that lying on a bed in a shop, for a few minutes,
is really helpful. Most people will find almost any bed
comfortable for a few minutes, particularly on a shopping trip.
I have found the same on holiday - what initially seems fine can
be less so, after a few nights.

A shop which would do an exchange if the mattress doesn't feel right
seems to be ideal but in practice I think few shops will do this.

Now, this is from 2012: Ikea gives a 25-year warranty (then suggests that
changing a mattress every 10 years is A Good Thing!) and also offered a
period of trial at home (2 months IIRC). During that time there was one swap
possible so long as the mattress was unmarked (read stained).
I got a 'water'proof cover, just in case but kept the mattress anyway.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
John Lewis in the middle of London will let you stay a night to test
them apparently.

Saves having to sleep rough, then.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Might be a bit inconvenient though. Its cleverly designed so to get to the
toilet you cross the sales floor according to the bbc.

No big deal for me, I don’t ever need to get up to **** in the night.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
John Lewis in the middle of London will let you stay a night to test
them apparently.

Fark, must remember that when I need to stay free overnight in london.

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 01/10/2017 09:32, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many,
many years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up
to silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

Only you can decide.
Try them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
[...]

And you can get stuck with what someone else has returned too.

The John Lewis mattresses I looked at last year seemed rather overpriced.

Someone has to pay for them to be cleaned after
the likes of you has ****ed the bed, again.

I think their mattresses are regularly put into the Xmas sale.