Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mattress pad vs. new mattress

My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:24:32 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

Nothing will upgrade an old mattress better than a new mattress. The technology has changed considerably and no "mattress pad" is going to
improve the worn springs and degraded padding in an old mattress.

That said, you might want to consider something like this:

https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...&se archidx=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

In my opinion, waveless waterbeds are the best.

https://landandsky.com/product/naturalizer-8500/

I hate trying to sleep on a typical hotel/conventional mattress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-13 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:24:32 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

Nothing will upgrade an old mattress better than a new mattress. The technology has changed considerably and no "mattress pad" is going to
improve the worn springs and degraded padding in an old mattress.

That said, you might want to consider something like this:

https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...&se archidx=0

Bingo, when my wife and I visit my mother-in-law, she has downsized to
an apartment, we get the bed that pulls out of a couch, must be the most
uncomfortable thing ever invented. She got a three inch memory foam
pad, we put it over the existing mattress, much better.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

I did one recently. Nobody wanted to deliver and take old bed so I
arranged for trash hauler to pickup old mattress and box springs for
$15. New bed was brought in and assembled. I'm too old for doing all
this myself but it was easy to drag old stuff downstairs and out to
trash. Did have a problem with Waste Management because they quoted $15
on line and $45 over the phone but I ended up with the lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Darrel" wrote in message
web.com...
On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress
plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems
like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

In my opinion, waveless waterbeds are the best.

https://landandsky.com/product/naturalizer-8500/

+1, been sleeping on one for almost 30 years. But not that brand and no way
NEAR that price.

I hate trying to sleep on a typical hotel/conventional mattress.

+1 again, they are hard as a rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 12:41:25 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2016-12-13 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have never met a pull-out couch that I liked. The mattresses don't amount
to much more than a couple of blankets on top of some very sharp springs.

We recently stayed in a hotel with a king sized bed and a pull-out couch.
My daughter joined us for one night so I let SWMBO and her have the bed
and I took the couch. After 10 minutes I folded it back up and piled the
cushions, pillows and spare blankets on the floor. The mattress from the
couch was un-sleepable.

The only pull-out that comes close to being comfortable is this one:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1XGkE-KK6L.jpg

My daughter used it in her apartment for a month while she waited for her
"furnished roommate" to move in. Yes, it's an inflatable couch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-13 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yep, the three inch memory foam on top makes it bearable, but they are
hard to store and bring out in an apartment, they weigh more than a
mattress, at least in a queen size. Couple bungie cords and we can tie
it up after a fold and roll, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, as it
will not fold up into the couch.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

A mattress pad will conform to the sinking mattress and defeat the
purpose. If it was a flat sturdy surface, I mattress pad will help. Your
best option is a full mattress.

We've had the Temperpedic for many years now even though I was content
with a common spring mattress (Wife's choice). In time, even the
temperpedic has a small indent in the same spot we lie. There are
varying degrees of firmness and thickness. I think we have the 10". The
memory foam holds heat since it also uses your body heat to form to it.
Thus, if your body runs hot, you may not like them, unless you can sleep
with just a bed spread over you.

I suggest you visit every mattress store in your area that offers
different type of mattresses. Though, sometimes that can be more
confusing. We demoed many types from foam, water, hybrids and air and
the main issue they all had was high price. The confusing part is they
all feel great when you're lying on it in a store, but process of
elimination reduces the rough ones. The real test is long term. If I
were single, I would have stayed with the innerspring type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

You just can't be a good night's sleep. We bought this and really like
it. My wife had some issues after surgery and had to spend some time in
bed. I used to hate to watch TV in bed but with this, it is as
comfortable as sitting in a recliner. Then push a button and go to
sleep on a level bed.

Be kind to yourself and do it right.
http://www.mybobs.com/mattresses-etc...-dual-king-set

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 13 Dec 2016 16:24:28 GMT, KenK
wrote:

My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like

And not only that, they're going to sell you a box spring by saying
there is no guarantee on the product unless you buy both.

a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

I actually woke up with a small but clearly noticeable pain in my back
every morning for a couple months. I intended to flip the mattress
over, so I was sleeping on a different part of it, but did't get around
to it. I noticed two weeks ago, months later, that my back never hurts
in the morning anymore, and it hasn't for months I think. I can't
remember the last time.

I'm sure I would dislike memory foam and all the others advertised on
TV. I've always been happy for decades with an innerspring mattress and
I still am.

And aiui most people put a mattress cover at least, if ont a mattress
pad, on their mattress all the time, raither than put sheets down
directly on the mattress. So I'd buy the pad and I'm still not happy,
I'd use the pad on the new mattress.

Mattresses used to come in only one thickness (not counting sofa beds
and summer camp, and maybe flophouses.) but now I think there are at
least 3**. I recently looked at a mattress pad online that said it
came in size for a 14" thick mattress. That strikes me as ridiculous
since the earlier, ?six? inches seemed just fine. But be sure to buy a
pad designed for your thickness or mulitple thicknesses.

**I dind't know this when I got my new mattress, and the headboard shelf
I had made for my bed was now almost 2" too low, and the TV table on the
other side of the bed was too low also 2", I couldnt' see the whole
screen anymore. If I'd seen this coming, I wouldn't have bought the
mattress I raised both up but I'm not pleased with the result.

Whatever you do, don't get a vinyl pr plastic cover if indeed they sell
mattresses like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:24:32 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

A mattress pad adds no support, all it does is help keep your
mattress clean. Bite the bullet and get a new mattress
and see if them hauling away your old mattress is part of
the deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 7:48 PM, micky wrote:

I'm sure I would dislike memory foam and all the others advertised on
TV. I've always been happy for decades with an innerspring mattress and
I still am.

You may be surprised. I was unsure of memory foam but have never slept
better. I'm in bed right now with the head up and feet slightly up and
very comfortable watching TV. I spend about a third of my life in bed
so I;, not going to cheap out, I want what suites me best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 13 Dec 2016 16:24:28 GMT, KenK
wrote:

My old mattress is well worn.

By worn do you mean frayed, etc. That's how I took it. A cover will
cover all that.

Or do you mean sagging springs?.

I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like

You'll have to take apart the bedding somewhat even for a pad or cover.
Or when you change the sheets! But they are amazingly expensive.

a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

A friend of a friend went last Sunday a week into a rehab home, not for
drugs but after some hospital stay. The mattress was very firm and
covered in plastic, sort of a grainy surface, so maybe not as hot and
uncomfortable as totally flat plastic would have been . Anyhow she
didn't like it and the friend we share sent me out there with two
different pads and two different covers. Someone on the staff stripped
the bed and I was putting the pad and cover on until they said they'd do
it. She said she was happy but hadn't actually lay down yet.

One pad was a narrow blue closed foam pad that did not easily compress
much thinner than it was. The other was a white/yellow foam one with
an array of foam mountains. conical with rounded tops, but it was so
soft I could squeeze it down to a quarter inch with little effort. At
the time the time I thought the blue one was better for her, and I still
think so except it's even narrower than the bed. So now I'm not sure.

Some of them used the term "topper" that I had never heard before.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/16 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

Yeah, good idea.

Like when your 15 year old car with 210,000 miles on the odometer is
falling apart, nothing like a nice Earl Scheib paint job and slick new
seat covers to make everything right again. Nitwit.

--
Interesting reading all of the post-election analysis, given the
accuracy and insight of the pre-election analysis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:24:32 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

A mattress pad adds no support, all it does is help keep your
mattress clean. Bite the bullet and get a new mattress
and see if them hauling away your old mattress is part of
the deal.

+1 What I was going to post. FYI there are more models of mattress than
cars, get one with a trial period. They are NOT like they used to be.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
micky wrote:

I'm sure I would dislike memory foam and all the others advertised on
TV. I've always been happy for decades with an innerspring mattress and
I still am.

You may be surprised. I was unsure of memory foam but have never slept
better. I'm in bed right now with the head up and feet slightly up and
very comfortable watching TV. I spend about a third of my life in bed
so I;, not going to cheap out, I want what suites me best.

i sleep so much better now with the memory foam.
it may take a few weeks to get used to it.

they are warmer to sleep on in the summer than you
might expect. i don't mind being warmer.

for $100 it was a great buy.

songbird

Mattress Dimension why it is Important Find Mattress Sales! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 31st 08 03:23 AM
Handmade Mattress for Home Crib Boat RV: Beds By Design, The Mattress Makers, MI [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 17th 07 07:03 PM
Air Mattress G Henslee Home Ownership 5 July 24th 05 03:55 AM
Mattress encasing that preserves the feel of memory foam mattress Sanjay Punjab Home Ownership 10 August 27th 04 11:08 AM