Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default Mattress pad vs. new mattress

On 12/13/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

A mattress pad will conform to the sinking mattress and defeat the
purpose. If it was a flat sturdy surface, I mattress pad will help. Your
best option is a full mattress.

We've had the Temperpedic for many years now even though I was content
with a common spring mattress (Wife's choice). In time, even the
temperpedic has a small indent in the same spot we lie. There are
varying degrees of firmness and thickness. I think we have the 10". The
memory foam holds heat since it also uses your body heat to form to it.
Thus, if your body runs hot, you may not like them, unless you can sleep
with just a bed spread over you.

I suggest you visit every mattress store in your area that offers
different type of mattresses. Though, sometimes that can be more
confusing. We demoed many types from foam, water, hybrids and air and
the main issue they all had was high price. The confusing part is they
all feel great when you're lying on it in a store, but process of
elimination reduces the rough ones. The real test is long term. If I
were single, I would have stayed with the innerspring type.