Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_9_] FrozenNorth[_9_] is offline

Default Mattress pad vs. new mattress

On 2016-12-13 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:24:32 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My old mattress is well worn. I probably should buy a new one but hate to
think of the fuss and scheduling to remove and deliver a new mattress plus
tearing apart the bedding and putting it back. And the expense! Seems like
a mattress pad would give me most of the advantages and few of the
problems. What has been your experience? If so, how thick? Filled with
what? Any particularly good brands?

TIA

Nothing will upgrade an old mattress better than a new mattress. The technology has changed considerably and no "mattress pad" is going to
improve the worn springs and degraded padding in an old mattress.

That said, you might want to consider something like this:

https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...&se archidx=0

Bingo, when my wife and I visit my mother-in-law, she has downsized to
an apartment, we get the bed that pulls out of a couch, must be the most
uncomfortable thing ever invented. She got a three inch memory foam
pad, we put it over the existing mattress, much better.

I have never met a pull-out couch that I liked. The mattresses don't amount
to much more than a couple of blankets on top of some very sharp springs.

Yep, the three inch memory foam on top makes it bearable, but they are
hard to store and bring out in an apartment, they weigh more than a
mattress, at least in a queen size. Couple bungie cords and we can tie
it up after a fold and roll, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, as it
will not fold up into the couch.

--
Froz....