Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default [OT] Buying a new mattress

On 01/10/2017 10:22, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 09:32:28 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Time for a new king size mattress, ours being rather soft and many, many
years old.

Firm support is the way to go, but any recommendations, or types to
avoid? Looking at John Lewis, where they start around £250 and go up to
silly money. Are those in the £300 range acceptable?

We changed ours last year for a Sealy Posturepedic. Bensons for Beds had
an offer on them. They are firm and I find them comfortable.

One type I would avoid are the ones with a pillow top (or whatever the
fancy name is) - if you want a bit of softness twixt mattress and you
then try a cheap duvet on top of the mattress, that's what we have on my
wife's side.

My wife is very happy with one of these (Which? best buy).

https://www.dormeo.co.uk/sale/dormeo...-mattress.html

I find memory foam a bit warm. I've always been impressed by the
mattresses in Premier Inns, and they used to advertise the brand.