Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

On 13/05/2017 08:54, Rednadnerb wrote:
But what senses i lack sharpens the others. For instance, on the radio I can tell if someone is a ukip supporter before they air their views.

You're psychic!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 May 2017 11:52:13 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 13/05/2017 08:54, Rednadnerb wrote:
But what senses i lack sharpens the others. For instance, on the radio I can tell if someone is a ukip supporter before they air their views.

You're psychic!?

You mean psychotic. You're terrible at spelling.

--
I failed my audition as Romeo through a misunderstanding over a stage direction. In my script it clearly said, "Enter Juliette from the rear."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 May 2017 11:52:13 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 13/05/2017 08:54, Rednadnerb wrote:
But what senses i lack sharpens the others. For instance, on the
radio I can tell if someone is a ukip supporter before they air their
views.

You're psychic!?

You mean psychotic. You're terrible at spelling.

psychic

adjective
1.
relating to or denoting faculties or phenomena that are apparently
inexplicable by natural laws, especially involving telepathy or
clairvoyance.
"psychic powers"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 May 2017 12:02:36 +0100, Bod wrote:

On Sat, 13 May 2017 11:52:13 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 13/05/2017 08:54, Rednadnerb wrote:
But what senses i lack sharpens the others. For instance, on the
radio I can tell if someone is a ukip supporter before they air their
views.

You're psychic!?

You mean psychotic. You're terrible at spelling.

psychic

adjective
1.
relating to or denoting faculties or phenomena that are apparently
inexplicable by natural laws, especially involving telepathy or
clairvoyance.
"psychic powers"

Whoosh!

--
I came real close to seeing Elvis, then my shovel broke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2017 10:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

..

Umm. My sister grew horticultural stuff for sale on a market stall.
There was a noticeable difference in the keeping performance of washed
and unwashed veg.

There seems to be a 'fad' for selling tomatoes on the vine, leaving the
carrot leaves attached to the carrots, selling Brussel sprouts still on
the stalk, oranges with a stalk and two leaves etc. Often these are
sold at a premium price. In reality all these do is to reduce the
keeping life but removing moisture more quickly from the fruit/veg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are
frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most
delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so
bloody difficult?
And don't get me started about apples......

It always suprises me that people accept that all their other senses
deteriorate with age but then complain that food doesn't taste like it
used to. Just accept that you are getting older, your sense of taste is
less sensitive and so you need stronger flavourings to give the same
effect.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are
frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most
delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so
bloody difficult?
And don't get me started about apples......

It always suprises me that people accept that all their other senses
deteriorate with age but then complain that food doesn't taste like it
used to. Just accept that you are getting older, your sense of taste is
less sensitive and so you need stronger flavourings to give the same
effect.

It doesn't always work like that. I find that some foods are now too
strongly flavoured. Of course, it may be that they really are - but I can
now not cope with chilli.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2017 17:29, Alan Dawes wrote:

It always suprises me that people accept that all their other senses
deteriorate with age but then complain that food doesn't taste like it
used to. Just accept that you are getting older, your sense of taste is
less sensitive and so you need stronger flavourings to give the same
effect.

Yes the sense of taste do change BUT occasionally you can find that the
fruit/veg on sale do still taste as you remember it.

Part of the problem with many processed foods is the taste of the main
ingredients is masked with either salt or sugar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:49:41 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:49:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:05:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Many years ago, I discovered a gorgeous tomato variety called
"SunGold".
It retailed briefly and disappeared from trace. (You can still buy
seeds
for it). In it's place we have SunBurst, SunBlush,SunDream all of
which
may as well be called "Sun****". I really can't remember the last
time
bought tomatoes *anywhere* in the UK. Even (especially) from "farm
shops". They are universally bland.

I now know why so many European ex-pats in the UK grow their own
veg.

And don't get me started about apples......

See above.

Have you noticed that the vast majority of supermarket tomatoes have
*very* thick and tough skins?

I don't see what all the fuss is about, all potatoes and tomatoes
taste
fine to me.

Fine, but the rest of us can tell the difference in taste.

Never heard anyone say that before.

Then you need a hearing aid, bad.

Especially with potatoes which have almost no flavour anyway,

Even sillier than you usually manage. Your taste buds are ****ed.

they're always mixed with other foods which have a taste to them.

Not always.

Apples, oranges, they're tasty.

Yes.

Eating a potato on it's own is like eating bread.

Depends on what you do with it. Lovely roasted in a fire.

But you need to add stuff to give it flavour.

--
Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Just cook a good potato properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Cooking won't magically give it flavour. They're bland.

--
Found in a fortune cookie:
"You are a poor, pathetic, gullible fool who seeks advice from bakery products."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

Umm. My sister grew horticultural stuff for sale on a market stall.
There was a noticeable difference in the keeping performance of washed
and unwashed veg.

There seems to be a 'fad' for selling tomatoes on the vine, leaving the
carrot leaves attached to the carrots, selling Brussel sprouts still on
the stalk, oranges with a stalk and two leaves etc. Often these are sold
at a premium price. In reality all these do is to reduce the keeping life
but removing moisture more quickly from the fruit/veg.

I don’t believe that with the tomatoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Raw meat has much less flavour than after its cooked.

They're bland.

Not when cooked properly they arent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are
frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most
delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so
bloody difficult?
And don't get me started about apples......

It always suprises me that people accept that all their other senses
deteriorate with age but then complain that food doesn't taste like it
used to. Just accept that you are getting older, your sense of taste is
less sensitive and so you need stronger flavourings to give the same
effect.

Alan

Quite the opposite. I'm acutely sensitive to whatever they're doing to
spuds (mould?), and I've never been a fan of strong flavours (unlike the
current generation, whose taste buds seem to be shot to pieces)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2017 16:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 12 May 2017 16:44:30 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33200388

It isn't surprising that supermarket varieties largely chosen for
maximum yield, uniform size, robust handling thick skins and
incredibly long shelf life don't taste particularly good.

I don;t eat many apples but I'm pretty sure my mum that did used to
say the goldern delicious had no taste and they came from France.

Although even golden delicious has some taste if you grow it on a
rootstock that isn't designed to just pump them full of water.

If there's anyone that knows about apples maybe they can give their
top 5 and where they are grown.

Depends what you want them for. Some of the early ones are so fragile
that you pretty much have to eat them as they ripen off the tree. They
won't travel and they won't keep so commercially they are a no go.

Discovery, Katy or Beauty of Bath are OK as a early apples.
(They don't keep)
Egremont Russett is one of the better common storable varieties.
Sunset isn't a bad substitute for the more famous Cox's Orange Pippin.
And Bramley as a cooking apple.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2017 15:54, Bod wrote:
On 12/05/2017 15:41, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 15:05:00 +0100, Stuart Noble wrote:

I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are
frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most
delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so
bloody difficult?

"Free market", innit ?

1) Driving incentive for farmer is to grow as *much*, as *cheaply* (cf
easily) as possible. Presumably the easiest to grow are the cheapest. And
when you consider trade is by *weight* then the temptation to grow and
sell varieties which hold a lot of water must immense.

2) Thick consumers with zero experience of real taste.

may as well be called "Sun****". I really can't remember the last time I
bought tomatoes *anywhere* in the UK. Even (especially) from "farm
shops". They are universally bland.

I now know why so many European ex-pats in the UK grow their own veg.

And don't get me started about apples......

See above.

Have you noticed that the vast majority of supermarket tomatoes have
*very* thick and tough skins?

Perhaps your knife needs sharpening?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2017 15:05, Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds
are frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the
most delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so
what's so bloody difficult? And don't get me started about
apples......

I have found that with age my taste buds have deteriorated. I'm sure
yours have too.

I recall in my teens finding Stilton horribly strong and preferring
mild cheddar. Now ....................
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2017 11:10, Fredxxx wrote:
On 12/05/2017 15:05, Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals,
Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of ****, whether it's
from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds
are frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the
most delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so
what's so bloody difficult? And don't get me started about
apples......

I have found that with age my taste buds have deteriorated. I'm sure
yours have too.

I recall in my teens finding Stilton horribly strong and preferring
mild cheddar. Now ....................

Chilli and chorizo with everything just masks a multitude of sins. On
cutting a boiled spud in half I've detected a spongey texture which
looks and tastes most unpleasant, but might just be edible if smothered
in a jar of Lloyd Grossman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
[...]

Different spuds have different growing/eating/cooking/disease resistance
characteristics.

Growers are looking for yield/shape/size/marketability/disease
resistance. I don't think eating quality rates very high:-(

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2017 11:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Stuart Noble
writes
[...]

They are all quality.
Quality does not equate to taste only in fit for the purpose that they
have decided on.
It is a common mistake to think quality is taste when it is not. Taste
is one of many qualities.

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 May 2017 11:07:58 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 12/05/2017 15:54, Bod wrote:
[...]

Or his false teeth.

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Our sense of taste and smell (just variations on the same basic chemical
sensing of our environment) are, evolutionarily speaking, the most
ancient of all our senses. Without researching the subject, I rather
think our chemical sensory system is the most robust of the senses and
least likely to deteriorate with age.

This sense originated with our single celled ancestors long before
evolutionary pressure caused them to clump together to create the
earliest of Earth's multicellular life forms so it should come as no
surprise as to why odours and flavours will so often trigger early
memories thought lost to the mists of time.

I would agree that the experience of poorer flavours in modern
supermarket produce is more to do with the "Baby thrown out with the
bathwater" effect of breeding characteristics aimed at making such
produce more durable in storage rather than due to our sense of taste and
smell fading with age.

BTW, I've never known that abomination called "French Golden Delicious"
to taste of anything other than wet cardboard and always assumed that the
word "Delicious" in this context was being used sarcastically by the
French for their "For export to the UK only" class of produce. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:05:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

====snip====

They are all quality.
Quality does not equate to taste only in fit for the purpose that they
have decided on.
It is a common mistake to think quality is taste when it is not. Taste
is one of many qualities.

I rather think you accidentally left out the word "only" in that last
sentence.

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

I had a quick look at that web page but couldn't see any obvious
references to flavour related quality. Were there any or was that the
point you were trying to make?

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:05:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

====snip====

They are all quality.
Quality does not equate to taste only in fit for the purpose that they
have decided on.
It is a common mistake to think quality is taste when it is not. Taste
is one of many qualities.

I rather think you accidentally left out the word "only" in that last
sentence.

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

I had a quick look at that web page but couldn't see any obvious
references to flavour related quality. Were there any or was that the
point you were trying to make?

I think you need to look elsewhere for eating quality. The site is
concerned with matters of interest to growers. Particularly disease
vulnerability.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/17 10:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:05:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

====snip====

They are all quality.
Quality does not equate to taste only in fit for the purpose that they
have decided on.
It is a common mistake to think quality is taste when it is not. Taste
is one of many qualities.

I rather think you accidentally left out the word "only" in that last
sentence.

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

I had a quick look at that web page but couldn't see any obvious
references to flavour related quality. Were there any or was that the
point you were trying to make?

I think you need to look elsewhere for eating quality. The site is
concerned with matters of interest to growers. Particularly disease
vulnerability.

Potatoes taste of what they are grown in, plus a bit to do with the
actual variety. Jersey potatoes are no longer fertilised with seaweed,
so don't taste of it.

Avoid any potato that starts with 'Maris': the plant breeding istutue
bred for yield, not flavour.

Currently I will eat Vanessa, Pink fir, Charlotte and a couple of other
styles. Mainly red or 'yellow and waxy' .

Avoid king Edwards, Maris piper, Red Rooster unless you want to mash
them. Even then they are coarse textured and flavourless.

Mozart is one I haven't tried that may be OK

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We bought some "dirty" spuds from our local farm shop. At least half of
each spud consisted of black stuff needing to be cut out. Surprisingly,
what was left was very nice indeed!
My theory is that a way has been found to disguise the black bits so
that, although the texture becomes pappy and porous, you can't actually
see it. If the mouldy spuds were half the price, it might make sense for
me as I'm sick of whole meals being ruined by the odd rogue potato.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/17 12:08, Stuart Noble wrote:

We bought some "dirty" spuds from our local farm shop. At least half of
each spud consisted of black stuff needing to be cut out. Surprisingly,
what was left was very nice indeed!

YTiou have been gad.

Ive grown my own potatioes off and on for years., Black parts are just
diseased, blighted or damaged parts and its only 'organick farme
shoppes' that think they can get away with selling it to mugs.

My theory is that a way has been found to disguise the black bits so
that, although the texture becomes pappy and porous, you can't actually
see it. If the mouldy spuds were half the price, it might make sense for
me as I'm sick of whole meals being ruined by the odd rogue potato.

Go to e.g. waitrose and buy some charlotte potatoes.

And see what you think

I might just do that although I don't trust any of the supermarkets any
more, particularly Waitrose, who are obsessed with how things look.

When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I don't
mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price reflects the
true situation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I don't
mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price reflects the
true situation.

Surely if covered in earth they're not pre-packed, so up to you to choose
they are all ok?

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I don't
mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price reflects the
true situation.

Surely if covered in earth they're not pre-packed, so up to you to choose
they are all ok?

You can't tell until you peel them. Pot luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:49:41 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Still nothing like tasty fruits.

--
A mistake is evidence that someone has tried to do something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sure, and nothing like chilli either. So ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 13 May 2017 20:16:49 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

So I prefer food with flavour.

--
All religions are part of Operation Mind****: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mind****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I
don't mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price
reflects the true situation.

Surely if covered in earth they're not pre-packed, so up to you to
choose they are all ok?

You can't tell until you peel them. Pot luck

Ah. It's only new potatoes I'd buy covered with earth, and wouldn't peel
those.

BTW, has some Jersey Royals today and they were delicious.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I don't
mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price reflects the
true situation.

Surely if covered in earth they're not pre-packed,

Ours are. For the same reason the washed ones are.

so up to you to choose they are all ok?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

and even less like a kebab.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That tastes like ****.

--
Wife to husband: "What's your excuse for coming home at this time of night?"
Husband to wife: "Golfing with friends, my dear."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote on 14/05/2017 :
Our sense of taste and smell (just variations on the same basic chemical
sensing of our environment) are, evolutionarily speaking, the most
ancient of all our senses. Without researching the subject, I rather
think our chemical sensory system is the most robust of the senses and
least likely to deteriorate with age.

I agree with that. I can't enjoy anything strongly flavoured at all,
curries, strong chilli's, raw onions are a complete no, no for me. I
always hated the taste or smell of vinegar. Could not even cope well
with anyone using it on their plate near me, but recently my taste must
have changed for now I have begun using it myself.

Food has certainly changed in flavour and taste in my lifetime, I judge
this by the fact that some food does have taste I remember, but some is
just bland. I used to love Jersey spuds, but they are tasteless now, no
better than any other spuds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote on 14/05/2017 :
I recall in my teens finding Stilton horribly strong and preferring
mild cheddar. Now ....................

I still cannot enjoy any but the very mild cheeses.

I have never had Brie before, but my partner asked me to collect some
recently, because she said she liked it.

It stank the fridge out, then despite being triple bagged - it stank
the entire house out, such was the strength of the pong - I had to
throw it in the bin outside. Still triple wrapped - The fridge had to
be washed out and I could still smell it 50 yards away at the far end
of the garden.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :
Surely if covered in earth they're not pre-packed, so up to you to choose
they are all ok?

We buy 'mucky spuds' a sack at a time from a local greengrocer, £10 to
£13, they are fine for general use. He drops them off, with a phone
call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 16/05/2017 :
Ah. It's only new potatoes I'd buy covered with earth, and wouldn't peel
those.

We just wash and cut for chips, peeled for mash.