Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

On 15/05/17 12:08, Stuart Noble wrote:

We bought some "dirty" spuds from our local farm shop. At least half of
each spud consisted of black stuff needing to be cut out. Surprisingly,
what was left was very nice indeed!

YTiou have been gad.

Ive grown my own potatioes off and on for years., Black parts are just
diseased, blighted or damaged parts and its only 'organick farme
shoppes' that think they can get away with selling it to mugs.

My theory is that a way has been found to disguise the black bits so
that, although the texture becomes pappy and porous, you can't actually
see it. If the mouldy spuds were half the price, it might make sense for
me as I'm sick of whole meals being ruined by the odd rogue potato.

Go to e.g. waitrose and buy some charlotte potatoes.

And see what you think

I might just do that although I don't trust any of the supermarkets any
more, particularly Waitrose, who are obsessed with how things look.

When you buy spuds covered in earth, it's always a gamble, and I don't
mind diseased bits as long as I can see them and the price reflects the
true situation.