Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

On Sat, 13 May 2017 20:16:49 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:49:41 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:49:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:05:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Many years ago, I discovered a gorgeous tomato variety called
"SunGold".
It retailed briefly and disappeared from trace. (You can still buy
seeds
for it). In it's place we have SunBurst, SunBlush,SunDream all of
which
may as well be called "Sun****". I really can't remember the last
time
bought tomatoes *anywhere* in the UK. Even (especially) from "farm
shops". They are universally bland.

I now know why so many European ex-pats in the UK grow their own
veg.

And don't get me started about apples......

See above.

Have you noticed that the vast majority of supermarket tomatoes
have
*very* thick and tough skins?

I don't see what all the fuss is about, all potatoes and tomatoes
taste
fine to me.

Fine, but the rest of us can tell the difference in taste.

Never heard anyone say that before.

Then you need a hearing aid, bad.

Especially with potatoes which have almost no flavour anyway,

Even sillier than you usually manage. Your taste buds are ****ed.

they're always mixed with other foods which have a taste to them.

Not always.

Apples, oranges, they're tasty.

Yes.

Eating a potato on it's own is like eating bread.

Depends on what you do with it. Lovely roasted in a fire.

But you need to add stuff to give it flavour.

Nope. Just cook a good potato properly.

Cooking won't magically give it flavour. They're bland.

--
Found in a fortune cookie:
"You are a poor, pathetic, gullible fool who seeks advice from bakery products."