Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what's wrong with our potatoes?

On 15/05/17 10:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:05:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

====snip====

They are all quality.
Quality does not equate to taste only in fit for the purpose that they
have decided on.
It is a common mistake to think quality is taste when it is not. Taste
is one of many qualities.

I rather think you accidentally left out the word "only" in that last
sentence.

Have a look he-

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/

I had a quick look at that web page but couldn't see any obvious
references to flavour related quality. Were there any or was that the
point you were trying to make?

I think you need to look elsewhere for eating quality. The site is
concerned with matters of interest to growers. Particularly disease
vulnerability.

Potatoes taste of what they are grown in, plus a bit to do with the
actual variety. Jersey potatoes are no longer fertilised with seaweed,
so don't taste of it.

Avoid any potato that starts with 'Maris': the plant breeding istutue
bred for yield, not flavour.

Currently I will eat Vanessa, Pink fir, Charlotte and a couple of other
styles. Mainly red or 'yellow and waxy' .

Avoid king Edwards, Maris piper, Red Rooster unless you want to mash
them. Even then they are coarse textured and flavourless.

Mozart is one I haven't tried that may be OK

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly