Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)

My Bosch hedgetrimmer (AHS 55-26) died suddenly the other day.

I've had it, and heavily used it, for just over two years. There was
no major "trauma" (such as dropping it): I just laid it down in the
middle of a job, and when I picked it up again, it was dead.

(having tested the cabling!) I started to take it apart, on the tried
and tested basis of taking something apart, then putting back together
again, will often fix it -- usually as a result of finding "something".

I gave up taking it apart after I'd got the 14 special screws out, to
split the casing .... it looks to be a major disassembly job.

I asked a local gardening tools place: "not worth it mate: we don't fix
'em: by the time I've disassembled it, run tests, possibly got parts,
you're going to be paying more than you bought it for." (£130 btw).

So I'm back to Plan A. Before I embark on this job, any ideas, or
advice such as "don't bother".

I had thought it might be carbon brushes, but (a) getting at them is a
challenge (b) I've never had brushes fail on me in anything for decades.

BTW I am not leccy-literate: replacing whole parts is my limit, and even
diagnosing parts would be beyond me (e.g. using meters to test voltages
etc).

Give it up before I start? Nahhhhh -- couldn't possibly chuck this into
the spares corner without first taking it completely to bits.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:20:41 +0100, Another John wrote:

My Bosch hedgetrimmer (AHS 55-26) died suddenly the other day.

I've had it, and heavily used it, for just over two years. There was
no major "trauma" (such as dropping it): I just laid it down in the
middle of a job, and when I picked it up again, it was dead.

(having tested the cabling!) I started to take it apart, on the tried
and tested basis of taking something apart, then putting back together
again, will often fix it -- usually as a result of finding "something".

I gave up taking it apart after I'd got the 14 special screws out, to
split the casing .... it looks to be a major disassembly job.

Just wondering how you managed to test the full length of the cable when
you didn't disassemble the machine? There's usually a connector within
the housing where the mains cable meets the internal wiring and this
isn't always obvious simply by splitting the casing.

Of course, it may be I've misunderstood and you did get that far.

Errm, you did check the fuse in the plug plus any other 'breaker' you may
have, didn't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if you know nothing I'd say it would hardly be a safe thing to do in
case you reassemble it incorrectly and something is live afterwards.
If you know what you are doing there is little to go wrong. I'd start with
the naff switches they tend to fit to these things. If shorting the switch
makes it burst into life, and assuming you still have your fingers at this
point then the fix is self evident. However I'd suggest at least getting a
meter of the analogue variety that can measure resistance and voltages in ac
and dc as that can be the safest way to troubleshoot dangerous stuff.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Another John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:

I gave up taking it apart after I'd got the 14 special screws out, to
split the casing .... it looks to be a major disassembly job.

Just wondering how you managed to test the full length of the cable when
you didn't disassemble the machine? There's usually a connector within
the housing where the mains cable meets the internal wiring and this
isn't always obvious simply by splitting the casing.

Yes, the commonest failure (I think I've fixed five or six over the
years) with electric garden machinery is the flex where it enters the
machine. It inevitably has a bit of a hard life there.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Another John
scribeth thus
[...]

If you have a multimeter you could try continuity tests from the mains
=plug into the unit. But I suspect that theirs some electronics involved
and that will for most be a stumbling block. Have a look at the brushes
but after two years?, I'd very much doubt that'd be a problem..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 11:20:44 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
[...]

You need to use a multimeter (£2-3 from Rapid) to see what bits conduct & which bit doesn't. It's very easy once you get to the parts. Without doing that you'd be wasting your time. Prime suspects are switch, cable where it enters machine & plug.

If all you can do is remove 6" of cable & reconnect at each end, that might work, maybe.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 12:53:24 UTC+1, Nick wrote:
On 12/04/2017 12:46, tabbypurr wrote:

You need to use a multimeter (£2-3 from Rapid) to see what bits conduct & which bit doesn't. It's very easy once you get to the parts. Without doing that you'd be wasting your time. Prime suspects are switch, cable where it enters machine & plug.

If all you can do is remove 6" of cable & reconnect at each end, that might work, maybe.

I'm curious if it is good advice to tell people to get multimeter to fix
mains appliances.

I'm sure it is. We deal with practical people here who want to fix things, not people needing their little hands held.

Most of the people who use usenet are old,

?

if they don't already have a
multimeter it suggests they have never been interested in electricity.

suggests? You mean you made it up?

If it were my son asking I would say yes, you've never had to fix
anything this is how you do it, use a multimeter but be careful. If it
was his mother I would say buy a new appliance.

Enjoy failing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

submitted this idea :
I'm curious if it is good advice to tell people to get multimeter to fix
mains appliances.

I'm sure it is. We deal with practical people here who want to fix things,
not people needing their little hands held.

I would be very reluctant to offer help to anyone, who in his own
confession, claims to have no understanding at all of even the basics.
He could electrocute himself, or even the cutter could if he is working
with the power on - suddenly begin running and take his fingers off.

OP here ...

(1) I like Nick's response, which is very perspicacious! :-)

(2) Harry's, above, is correct insofar as I wouldn't go out get a
multimeter and start faffing around: I do have a mate, however, who is
very much au fait, and has his own multimeter :-) But I can assure
you Harry that I'm not so dumb (young?) as to chop my fingers off in
these circs - thanks for the thought though!

(3) I appreciate NT's answer which tells me what to do with the
multimeter .... but I'll ask my mate to drop by, to do it!

(4) And yes, (Mark, and others) I have tested the full length of the
cable (including the 2 (two) places where I've had to insert cable
connectors due to cutting through it (a phenomenon which can *not* be
overcome by experience, in my experience)). However I didn't look
all *that* closely at the cable as it enters the casing (I did indeed
split the casing .... it was splitting the handles, and then the tightly
bound units within, which put me off, let alone disassembling the
blades, which I think I'll also have to do).
I didn't look *too* closely at the internal end, because it's very well
put together: I tend to buy only Bosch in the last couple of decades.
(Yeh, I know it's made in China, but it's made in China _for Bosch_!)

So: with what I take to be your encouragement I'll look again, and will
report back later :-)

Thanks chaps
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nine times out of ten it's the cable or connections to it.
So start by fitting a new short bit of wire & plug and see if it runs.

Check switch is OK.

Check any suppressors OK

Check brushes OK & free to move in holders.

If none of above, bin it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 18:49:21 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr submitted this idea :

I'm curious if it is good advice to tell people to get multimeter to fix
mains appliances.

I'm sure it is. We deal with practical people here who want to fix things,
not people needing their little hands held.

I would be very reluctant to offer help to anyone, who in his own
confession, claims to have no understanding at all of even the basics.

Everyone has been in that position.

He could electrocute himself, or even the cutter could if he is working
with the power on - suddenly begin running and take his fingers off.

All of us could do anything. Do you think we should thus remove all useful information from the net? Seems to me there's a basic misunderstading of life & human nature at the root of that sort of attitude.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 22:14:32 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Multimeter

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/12/2017 11:20 AM, Another John wrote:
[...]

When faced with this sort of problem, the first thing I get out is a
volt stick. This lets you spot a failed fuse without dismantling
anything, and check whether power is reaching the unit.

A common cause is cable failure at the strain relief entry.

Sudden deadness like this is more likely a supply problem than anything
else (i.e. fuse, cable, switch).

Nothing to be lost from taking it apart *having unplugged it first*
(added for the benefit of H&S nannies).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Could you describe exactly how you "tested the cable" without any equipment?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

Could you describe exactly how you "tested the cable" without any equipment?

I connected it, via one of the trimmer's cable connectors, to a table
lamp (by wiring the lamp's plug cable, having unwired the plug, into the
connector, having disconnected latter from the trimmer, and then
plugging it in).

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

Could you describe exactly how you "tested the cable" without any equipment?

I connected it, via one of the trimmer's cable connectors, to a table
lamp (by wiring the lamp's plug cable, having unwired the plug, into the
connector, having disconnected latter from the trimmer, and then
plugging it in).

J.

Um, so you've tested the cable from the plug to the connector but not from
the connector to the internal wiring?

Looking at the only picture I can find there appears to be a short length
of cable between the connector and the trimmer.

See third picture.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-AHS-5...osch+ahs+55-26

This is where most of the flexing will occur and where it cable most
commonly develops internal breaks. You can't test this without opening
your strimmer up.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim+
wrote:

Um, so you've tested the cable from the plug to the connector but not from
the connector to the internal wiring?

Correct. Checking the last bit was only done visually (as I'd
reported, and everything looked very solid and clean), and my next task
is to check it again. more thoroughly. However ...

You can't test this without opening your strimmer up.

[hedgetrimmer not strimmer!) Yes - also correct.

But having spent at least an hour opening up the casing last time, I'm
finding too many other things that need doing at the moment

It should take less than half an hour, next time, of course, but that
will merely be the preamble to a much longer session, I'm thinking. and
I'll need to take over the dining room table ....

I'll report back.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/13/2017 7:31 AM, harry wrote:

Nine times out of ten it's the cable or connections to it.
So start by fitting a new short bit of wire & plug and see if it runs.

Check switch is OK.

Check any suppressors OK

Check brushes OK & free to move in holders.

If none of above, bin it.

Couldn't have put it better!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article , Tim+
wrote:

Um, so you've tested the cable from the plug to the connector but not from
the connector to the internal wiring?

Correct. Checking the last bit was only done visually (as I'd
reported, and everything looked very solid and clean)

This bit is where all the severe flexing takes place. 9 times out of 10
this is where internal breaks occur. Upright vacuum cleaners also break
their cables here.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 10:39:54 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Another John wrote:
In article , Tim+
wrote:

Um, so you've tested the cable from the plug to the connector but not from
the connector to the internal wiring?

Correct. Checking the last bit was only done visually (as I'd
reported, and everything looked very solid and clean)

This bit is where all the severe flexing takes place. 9 times out of 10
this is where internal breaks occur. Upright vacuum cleaners also break
their cables here.

And cylinder cleaners. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:22:19 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 4/13/2017 7:31 AM, harry wrote:

Nine times out of ten it's the cable or connections to it.
So start by fitting a new short bit of wire & plug and see if it runs.

Check switch is OK.

Check any suppressors OK

Check brushes OK & free to move in holders.

If none of above, bin it.

Couldn't have put it better!

Daughter went to mow mums lawn and got halfway round and the mower
stopped.

I was called to check it out and from the external tests the motor
appeared open circuit. So, with nothing to lose, I took the covers off
and got to the motor and found a brush hung up. A quick dress up with
the Leatherman (blade and file) had the brush moving freely again and
the mower is still working fine today. ;-)

I'm guessing 'most people' (other than us of course g) would have
simply thrown it away untested at that point (proof by the row of
Dyson cleaners often seen at the tips, most only requiring simple
fixes) but I'm very aware that 'away' doesn't really exist and that is
something we will all be paying more and more to simulate in the
future. ;-(

Cheers, T i m