Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)

On 12/04/2017 12:46, wrote:

You need to use a multimeter (£2-3 from Rapid) to see what bits conduct & which bit doesn't. It's very easy once you get to the parts. Without doing that you'd be wasting your time. Prime suspects are switch, cable where it enters machine & plug.

If all you can do is remove 6" of cable & reconnect at each end, that might work, maybe.

I'm curious if it is good advice to tell people to get multimeter to fix
mains appliances.

Most of the people who use usenet are old, if they don't already have a
multimeter it suggests they have never been interested in electricity.

If it were my son asking I would say yes, you've never had to fix
anything this is how you do it, use a multimeter but be careful. If it
was his mother I would say buy a new appliance.