Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 11:20:44 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
My Bosch hedgetrimmer (AHS 55-26) died suddenly the other day.

I've had it, and heavily used it, for just over two years. There was
no major "trauma" (such as dropping it): I just laid it down in the
middle of a job, and when I picked it up again, it was dead.

(having tested the cabling!) I started to take it apart, on the tried
and tested basis of taking something apart, then putting back together
again, will often fix it -- usually as a result of finding "something".

I gave up taking it apart after I'd got the 14 special screws out, to
split the casing .... it looks to be a major disassembly job.

I asked a local gardening tools place: "not worth it mate: we don't fix
'em: by the time I've disassembled it, run tests, possibly got parts,
you're going to be paying more than you bought it for." (£130 btw)..

So I'm back to Plan A. Before I embark on this job, any ideas, or
advice such as "don't bother".

I had thought it might be carbon brushes, but (a) getting at them is a
challenge (b) I've never had brushes fail on me in anything for decades.

BTW I am not leccy-literate: replacing whole parts is my limit, and even
diagnosing parts would be beyond me (e.g. using meters to test voltages
etc).

Give it up before I start? Nahhhhh -- couldn't possibly chuck this into
the spares corner without first taking it completely to bits.

John

Nine times out of ten it's the cable or connections to it.
So start by fitting a new short bit of wire & plug and see if it runs.

Check switch is OK.

Check any suppressors OK

Check brushes OK & free to move in holders.

If none of above, bin it.