Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:22:19 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 4/13/2017 7:31 AM, harry wrote:

Nine times out of ten it's the cable or connections to it.
So start by fitting a new short bit of wire & plug and see if it runs.

Check switch is OK.

Check any suppressors OK

Check brushes OK & free to move in holders.

If none of above, bin it.

Couldn't have put it better!

Daughter went to mow mums lawn and got halfway round and the mower
stopped.

I was called to check it out and from the external tests the motor
appeared open circuit. So, with nothing to lose, I took the covers off
and got to the motor and found a brush hung up. A quick dress up with
the Leatherman (blade and file) had the brush moving freely again and
the mower is still working fine today. ;-)

I'm guessing 'most people' (other than us of course g) would have
simply thrown it away untested at that point (proof by the row of
Dyson cleaners often seen at the tips, most only requiring simple
fixes) but I'm very aware that 'away' doesn't really exist and that is
something we will all be paying more and more to simulate in the
future. ;-(

Cheers, T i m