Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing an electric hedgetrimmer: any advice? (or hope?!)

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 12:53:24 UTC+1, Nick wrote:
On 12/04/2017 12:46, tabbypurr wrote:

You need to use a multimeter (£2-3 from Rapid) to see what bits conduct & which bit doesn't. It's very easy once you get to the parts. Without doing that you'd be wasting your time. Prime suspects are switch, cable where it enters machine & plug.

If all you can do is remove 6" of cable & reconnect at each end, that might work, maybe.

I'm curious if it is good advice to tell people to get multimeter to fix
mains appliances.

I'm sure it is. We deal with practical people here who want to fix things, not people needing their little hands held.

Most of the people who use usenet are old,

?

if they don't already have a
multimeter it suggests they have never been interested in electricity.

suggests? You mean you made it up?

If it were my son asking I would say yes, you've never had to fix
anything this is how you do it, use a multimeter but be careful. If it
was his mother I would say buy a new appliance.

Enjoy failing.

NT