Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripped gears on Bosch hedgetrimmer

The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 08:08:00 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

Virtually nil I should say.
Even if parts are available, they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Punish them by never buying that make again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 00:07:57 -0700, larkim wrote:

The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through
repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

http://goo.gl/TjJvib

Spares seem to vary in price from cheap to silly. But take a look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 09:40:01 UTC+1, BobH wrote:
On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em

Bosch. Think they have lasted 3 years with no maintenance (other than SWMBO
cutting through the cable a few times)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 12:20:59 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 03:56:37 -0700, larkim wrote:

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 09:40:01 UTC+1, BobH wrote:
On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through
repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em

Bosch. Think they have lasted 3 years with no maintenance (other than
SWMBO cutting through the cable a few times)

Which model?

I think AHS 60-16, but not certain - need to check at home tonight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 04:54:02 -0700, larkim wrote:

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 12:20:59 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 03:56:37 -0700, larkim wrote:

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 09:40:01 UTC+1, BobH wrote:
On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped
through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the
trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em

Bosch. Think they have lasted 3 years with no maintenance (other
than SWMBO cutting through the cable a few times)

Which model?

I think AHS 60-16, but not certain - need to check at home tonight.

If it's that, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of gears. There is
a drive assembly for the blade, and it comes with a new blade too. £45.22
- the most expensive part!

What do you think has actually failed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:

The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Bosch spares are usually fairly available... although getting all the
parts for some of the models can be more tricky.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

The smaller helical thread is actually the output shaft of the motor
armature. Its a very common way to finish the shaft on the armature. If
you look at my recent replacement of the aramature on my Makita drill,
its a very similar design:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e...oxArmature.jpg

So you would need to replace the armature is its the shaft that is worn.

Bosch spares can be had he

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Bosch-Spare-Pa...-12734777.aspx

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:33:10 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The smaller helical thread is actually the output shaft of the motor
armature. Its a very common way to finish the shaft on the armature. If
you look at my recent replacement of the aramature on my Makita drill,
its a very similar design:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e...oxArmature.jpg

So you would need to replace the armature is its the shaft that is worn.

Ah, I see that now. New armature is £26.73.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2015 08:22, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 08:08:00 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

Virtually nil I should say.
Even if parts are available, they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Punish them by never buying that make again.

Not my experience with gears on a Bosch green circular saw. Parts
readily available on the web (some time ago so no link) and prices not
too bad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 14:33:06 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Cheers - I'll have a go at disassembly first tonight, if that goes OK
then I'm happier that the replacement part will be available!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 03:56:37 -0700, larkim wrote:

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 09:40:01 UTC+1, BobH wrote:
On 02/09/2015 08:07, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through
repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

https://goo.gl/photos/FeRvseJAQU1diJok7

Cheers!

Matt

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em

Bosch. Think they have lasted 3 years with no maintenance (other than
SWMBO cutting through the cable a few times)

Bosch, eh? I'm surprised. Rotten piece of design by the look of it; too
much mechanical disadvantage. And no shear pins?? Shocking!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2015 15:36, newshound wrote:
On 02/09/2015 08:22, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 08:08:00 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through
repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

Virtually nil I should say.
Even if parts are available, they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Punish them by never buying that make again.

Not my experience with gears on a Bosch green circular saw. Parts
readily available on the web (some time ago so no link) and prices not
too bad.

Not like harry to talk out the back of his head is it? ;-)

The only caution I would add with cheaper tools like domestic hedge
trimmers, is that they can often be bought second hand on ebay for less
than the cost of some of the spares.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 03:36:54 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

True enough. But who's to say the previous owner hasn't been as poor with
their use as my wife has, so that could be a false economy!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 16:22:31 UTC+1, larkim wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, the model we have is the AHS 63-16 for which the only
exploded parts diagram shows external parts
e.g. http://www.powertools-aftersalesserv...9tdVpaa083c0E9

Whereas for models such as the AHS 60-16 a fully exploded diagram lists
all of the parts
e.g. http://www.powertools-aftersalesserv...9tdVpaa083c0E9

Perhaps all implying "not user serviceable"

It is the main toothed disc which has been run flat, not the actuator.

At EURO 42 ex VAT, looking like £35 for the part even if it was available,
a replacement set of trimmers looks like better value unfortunately.

Thanks for all the help!

Matt

Stripped ! Snag[_3_] Metalworking 2 October 5th 10 09:40 PM
aldi battery hedgetrimmer - any good? Jim K[_2_] UK diy 2 August 23rd 10 02:52 PM
Random orbit sanders - green Bosch PEX400 vs blue Bosch GEX 125? Andy Dingley UK diy 4 January 12th 08 08:56 PM
Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears Rex B Metalworking 6 February 15th 06 03:41 AM
Wooden gears to metal gears. Don Stauffer Metalworking 5 January 30th 06 09:53 PM