Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless recip. saw recommendations

Hello all.

I have a fair bit of annual tree pruning to do. Also, i have a one-off job of cutting up a load of old decking to a size that will fit the car or the burn bin. It occurred to me that a cordless reciprocating saw might be a good tool.

I'm willing to spend up to around 100 quid, but don't€‹ want to go OTT for the use I'll get out of it. What do people think of the Ryobi One 18v at 60-odd quid? Alternatives?

I have a petrol chainsaw and it pains me not to get more use out of it, but it's overkill for most jobs and the faff of mixing the fuel (and disposing of old fuel after long periods of inactivity) is a major down side. I also don't fancy catching a nail or screw in the decking with it!

Cheers.

Terry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/10/2017 9:23 PM, wrote:
Hello all.

I have a fair bit of annual tree pruning to do. Also, i have a one-off job of cutting up a load of old decking to a size that will fit the car or the burn bin. It occurred to me that a cordless reciprocating saw might be a good tool.

I'm willing to spend up to around 100 quid, but don't€‹ want to go OTT for the use I'll get out of it. What do people think of the Ryobi One 18v at 60-odd quid? Alternatives?

I have a petrol chainsaw and it pains me not to get more use out of it, but it's overkill for most jobs and the faff of mixing the fuel (and disposing of old fuel after long periods of inactivity) is a major down side. I also don't fancy catching a nail or screw in the decking with it!

Cheers.

Terry.

You mean this one?

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...iprocating-saw

I only have a mains recip saw and TBH I am not a big fan of them. Not
ideal for cutting up decking I would have said.

I've recently been cutting up a lot of scrap planed and sawn timber
(much of it with screws and nails in). This was into lengths suitable
for a woodburner rather than car boot, but same sort of idea.

I found by far the best tool for that was a (mains) Evolution chop saw
with their magic blade which will cut anything. Not expensive and
"Seconds" are even cheaper.

Personally I would use a manual pruning or bow saw on trees, unless
there is a lot to do in which case the chainsaw (petrol or cordless)
would come out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2017 05:02, Bill Wright wrote:
(and disposing of old fuel after long periods of inactivity)

Isn't there a grate hole outside your house?

I really hope that's a joke.

That is illegal for good reasons - it's not good for the environment,
and filling the drains with inflammable liquids could have unfortunate
consequences. For example...

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...poured-9455898

AKA

http://tinyurl.com/jqkhudz