Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cordless drill recommendations?

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments
posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck.
Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Well, I keep wishing my old DeWalt would die so I'd have an excuse to
get a new one with some improved features, but it just keeps trucking
on.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real
John

I set out to buy an 18V too, but found that the 15.6V Panasonic has plenty
of power, less weight, better feel in my hands. Go to the store and
actually handle a few before you buy. Some are just too big to be practical
for most applications. We also have a 12V at work that is used for many
light jobs and is the drill of choice at times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

No LI-on batteries, but the DeWalt 18v is still the most ubiquitous cordless
drill I see in use on construction sites in this neck of the woods, with
Ridgid actually showing up quite frequently among the South 'O the Border
types recently.

These guys make a living with their tools, so I've always considered that to
be one of the best endorsements for a tool you can find.

I have a DeWalt, and four batteries ... it replaced a Makita about 10 years
ago, and has been trouble free the entire time, despite numerous unscheduled
flights off 8' ladders.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote:

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I had an 18VDC DeWalt for almost 10 years until it got legs.

Beat the crap out of it.

It didn't owe me anything when it left.

Have been told Panasonic has a good unit, no personal experience.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:29:12 -0500, John
wrote:

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real
John

I dislike cordless. The corded drills last a lot longer and my
Milwaulkee is still going strong after 12 years of abuse. A lot more
bang for your buck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"John" wrote

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

No LI-on batteries, but the DeWalt 18v is still the most ubiquitous
cordless drill I see in use on construction sites in this neck of the
woods, with Ridgid actually showing up quite frequently among the South 'O
the Border types recently.

These guys make a living with their tools, so I've always considered that
to be one of the best endorsements for a tool you can find.

I have a DeWalt, and four batteries ... it replaced a Makita about 10
years ago, and has been trouble free the entire time, despite numerous
unscheduled flights off 8' ladders.

How well do your batteries hold up? I'm on my second set of batteries in
both my Milwaukee and Porter Cable. The PC is about 10 years old, the
Milwaukee 5. Both sets of batteries are getting weak again. I do try to
cycle them across the chargers every several weeks, but I don't coddle them
by bringing them into the house when the weather gets hot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Well, I keep wishing my old DeWalt would die so I'd have an excuse to
get a new one with some improved features, but it just keeps trucking
on.

Same here!

In fact, over a year ago, I posted a message about my 14.4v making a
funny smell.

I'm still using it!

I have a bunch of DeWalt 12, 14.4, and 18 volt cordless tools, and have
been happy with all of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Dec 27, 4:11 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"John" wrote

[...]

I've two Milwaukee 18V; one probably approaching 10 now, the other
about 3 -- no battery failures, no special treatment--I recharge them
when they go down. Milwaukee did a replacement on the old ones at
some time owing to a possible vent that could get clogged that had
caused some overheating during recharging aiui. I never saw any
problem but took the advantage last year iirc on the older. The newer
weren't subject to the recall.

Only complaint would be they're somewhat big and heavy, so would
recommend to OP to check in person as someone else already suggested.
Suitability would depend mostly on what purpose(s) one is after--I
wanted tough for heavy work; I'd buy something much smaller for
cabinet work, etc., if were doing that to great extent these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:46:44 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"John" wrote

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

No LI-on batteries, but the DeWalt 18v is still the most ubiquitous cordless
drill I see in use on construction sites in this neck of the woods, with
Ridgid actually showing up quite frequently among the South 'O the Border
types recently.

These guys make a living with their tools, so I've always considered that to
be one of the best endorsements for a tool you can find.

I have a DeWalt, and four batteries ... it replaced a Makita about 10 years
ago, and has been trouble free the entire time, despite numerous unscheduled
flights off 8' ladders.

Amen on the Dewalt 18v. My son got me one for Christmas and I had it
swinging a 2-1/8" lockset bit today in a 1-3/4" solid core door. No
problem.

I still have a Dewalt 14.4 hammer drill / driver and a 14.4 right
angle. They still work but the batteries are pecky and the cost of
batteries makes the Christmas gift a double blessing.

Those Dewalts replaced a Makita 9.6 and a 7.2 right angle. They still
turn but can't do much more than mix thin batter.

Hard to believe we loved those little guys so much but I thought they
were god's gift when I switched from the Yankee to them.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real
John

I dislike cordless. The corded drills last a lot longer and my
Milwaulkee is still going strong after 12 years of abuse. A lot more
bang for your buck.

Corded drills are nice, but they don't fill the same niche as cordless.
Like most people I have both. One is a Milwaukee right-angle job that I got
for free because the switch didn't work. $17 later, it was good as new. It
has so much torque I'm afraid it will break my arm if I'm not paying
attention. But when I had to climb on top of the roof recently to drill a
hole to mount the sensor for my furnace's humidifier, it would have been
somewhat inconvenient to drag an extension cable with me.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/08 4:33 PMDec 27, "J. Clarke" wrote:

John wrote:
I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Well, I keep wishing my old DeWalt would die so I'd have an excuse to
get a new one with some improved features, but it just keeps trucking
on.

I also have a Dewalt 18v drill that I am pleased with. But no Li-Ion
batteries. I am not convinced that the advantages of Li-Ion make up for the
big cost increment.

Go to the store and
actually handle a few before you buy. Some are just too big to be practical
for most applications. We also have a 12V at work that is used for many
light jobs and is the drill of choice at times.

If you might ever want other cordless tools, think about families of tools
from the same maker with interchangeable batteries. That is one of the
reasons that I choose Dewalt. Check out the other tools in the same product
line up. Differences there may be enough to tip you decision one way or the
other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John" wrote:

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I had an 18VDC DeWalt for almost 10 years until it got legs.

Beat the crap out of it.

It didn't owe me anything when it left.

Have been told Panasonic has a good unit, no personal experience.

Lew

I have had the Panasonic 15.6v for about eight years and it has been a
jewel. Rebuilt the batteries a couple years ago (Primecell) but no
other problems (accompanied by the sound of me knocking on wood).
whoopie,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Haar" wrote

If you might ever want other cordless tools, think about families of tools
from the same maker with interchangeable batteries. That is one of the
reasons that I choose Dewalt. Check out the other tools in the same
product
line up. Differences there may be enough to tip you decision one way or
the
other.

Excellent point! I have a DeWalt circle saw and mini-shop-vac that run on
those four 18v batteries. The circle saw gets rare use, but handy when you
need it.

But the shop-vac is particularly handy as it goes up into any attic without
cords, perfect for sucking out AC drains/pans, for sucking insulation out of
windows after that crew gets finished, for cleaning up after minor a
plumbing/electrical/drywall fixes, and can also be run with a cord.

One of my most traveled tools, it is almost always in my truck ... and one
of those tools whose whereabouts is somehow always in my subconscious, it's
that handy.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

How well do your batteries hold up? I'm on my second set of batteries in
both my Milwaukee and Porter Cable. The PC is about 10 years old, the
Milwaukee 5. Both sets of batteries are getting weak again. I do try to
cycle them across the chargers every several weeks, but I don't coddle
them
by bringing them into the house when the weather gets hot.

They get enough use that they get re-built after about three years after
purchase, once that's done with the heftier battery packs, I get much more
life, more power, and a lot more time between charges.

I've got' em on rotation now so that I don't need to re-build but one every
two years. Part of maintenance costs, but not a big part to make a
difference for the convenience.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote

Those Dewalts replaced a Makita 9.6 and a 7.2 right angle. They still
turn but can't do much more than mix thin batter.

Hard to believe we loved those little guys so much but I thought they
were god's gift when I switched from the Yankee to them.

Same here ... I never thought I'd ever own anything but Makita for damn near
20 years because of the first one I had. I actually built a couple of
studios using those cordless drills, driving screws to do all the interior,
staggered stud framing.

Last Makita cordless I had didn't last two years ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Haar" wrote in message

If you might ever want other cordless tools, think about families of tools
from the same maker with interchangeable batteries. That is one of the
reasons that I choose Dewalt. Check out the other tools in the same
product
line up. Differences there may be enough to tip you decision one way or
the
other.

That's what I wonder about. Which maker has the best complement of cordless
tools. I guess I'm the Bohemian of the group. I haven't done construction
for a living for several years but the 14.4v Ryobi I got around 8 years or
so ago is still doing everything I need. I did use it when I was working
and it always did fine. Sometimes I need to grab the 2nd battery but
between the 2 (orig. ones that came with the kit), I always seem to make it
through the day. The batteries never did power the little circular saw good
enough for much of anything. When I go to replace it, that is the one thing
I'd be looking for. An accompanying saw (and maybe some other tools) that
would make it through a few cuts without killing the battery.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

John wrote:
I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Well, I keep wishing my old DeWalt would die so I'd have an excuse
get a new one with some improved features, but it just keeps
trucking
on.

I also have a Dewalt 18v drill that I am pleased with. But no Li-Ion
batteries. I am not convinced that the advantages of Li-Ion make up
for the big cost increment.

Just a comment for those who aren't aware of it--old 18v deWalts work
fine on the new 18v lithium batteries. So far I haven't felt the need
either--by the time enough of my existing batteries have died the
death to make getting new ones worthwhile I hope the lithium ions will
have come down in price. OTOH, their new charger will handle lithium
ion, NiMH, and NiCd, so I can rebuild the dead packs with NiMh.
Haven't gotten the new charger yet though.

Go to the store and
actually handle a few before you buy. Some are just too big to be
practical for most applications. We also have a 12V at work that
is
used for many light jobs and is the drill of choice at times.

If you might ever want other cordless tools, think about families of
tools from the same maker with interchangeable batteries. That is
one
of the reasons that I choose Dewalt. Check out the other tools in
the
same product line up. Differences there may be enough to tip you
decision one way or the other.

Yep.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Excellent point! I have a DeWalt circle saw and mini-shop-vac that
run on those four 18v batteries. The circle saw gets rare use, but
handy when you need it.

After my 77 got legs, the 18VDC DeWalt became my circular saw of
choice.

Great little gadget for breaking down sheet goods.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
But the shop-vac is particularly handy as it goes up into any attic

without
cords, perfect for sucking out AC drains/pans, for sucking insulation out

of
windows after that crew gets finished, for cleaning up after minor a
plumbing/electrical/drywall fixes, and can also be run with a cord.

I bought a DC500 cordless vac too. It was my subsequent purchase after
buying the DeWalt DC6PAKRA six pack tool kit. And, although I haven't used
the vacuum extensively, the times I've used it have always been somewhat
unique such as my recent clean up job of a litre of applesauce spreading out
on the kitchen floor. It had a little trouble with the thickness of the
sauce, but did get through the job eventually. Followed it up by vacuuming
some water to clean out the hose. Handy little tool when you need it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

How well do your batteries hold up? I'm on my second set of batteries
in
both my Milwaukee and Porter Cable. The PC is about 10 years old, the
Milwaukee 5. Both sets of batteries are getting weak again. I do try to
cycle them across the chargers every several weeks, but I don't coddle
them
by bringing them into the house when the weather gets hot.

They get enough use that they get re-built after about three years after
purchase, once that's done with the heftier battery packs, I get much more
life, more power, and a lot more time between charges.

I've got' em on rotation now so that I don't need to re-build but one
every two years. Part of maintenance costs, but not a big part to make a
difference for the convenience.

Thanks for the info. Then my experience is not all that atypical. Guess
I'll plan on getting them rebuilt again. Part of that not throwing things
away issue I've got. Even though a new drill is nearly the same cost as
re-built batteries, I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good drill
just because the batteries go bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

Excellent point! I have a DeWalt circle saw and mini-shop-vac that
run on those four 18v batteries. The circle saw gets rare use, but
handy when you need it.

After my 77 got legs, the 18VDC DeWalt became my circular saw of
choice.

Great little gadget for breaking down sheet goods.

Ditto that!

I keep mine at the lumber rack, with a Matsu****a carbide blade and zero
clearance foot installed. I love that saw!

All of my 18v DeWalt tools were picked up as part of a refurbished 6
tool kit for $300. My plan was to sell the 4 1/2" angle grinder, impact
driver, and recip saw on eBay, and keep the circular saw, hammer drill,
chargers and batteries. Nothing made it to eBay

The angle grinder has turned out to be super handy for cutting bolts and
threaded rod, shovel and mower sharpening, and even some power rasping.
Bolts and rod that took multiple fiberglass discs with the Dremel are
child's play for the grinder.

The recip saw has proven to be a fantastic pickup, as all of my recip
saw use is usually short work, like removing a door jamb, pruning trees,
cutting a single hole... Only during an extended pruning session did I
need to swap a battery.

I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has gotten a
bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable Wrangler repairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has gotten a
bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable Wrangler repairs.

Does a battery powered impact driver generate enough torque to bust loose
lug nuts and reinstall them to the proper torque?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Dec 28, 8:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote

I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has gotten a
bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable Wrangler repairs.

Does a battery powered impact driver generate enough torque to bust loose
lug nuts and reinstall them to the proper torque?

Depends on the driver and the torque spec....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote
I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has gotten a
bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable Wrangler repairs.

Does a battery powered impact driver generate enough torque to bust loose
lug nuts and reinstall them to the proper torque?

It doesn't have to re-torque them. I do that with a torque wrench, by
hand, as I have aluminum wheels on all my cars.

No problem getting them loose, if they were properly installed. If the
nuts were put on in typical shadetree mechanic style, you'd need to
break them loose before jacking the car.

What gave me the idea to use it on the car was the number of them I see
in the pits @ Lime Rock Park.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote
I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has
gotten a bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable
Wrangler repairs.

Does a battery powered impact driver generate enough torque to bust
loose lug nuts and reinstall them to the proper torque?

It doesn't have to re-torque them. I do that with a torque wrench,
by
hand, as I have aluminum wheels on all my cars.

No problem getting them loose, if they were properly installed. If
the nuts were put on in typical shadetree mechanic style, you'd need
to break them loose before jacking the car.

What gave me the idea to use it on the car was the number of them I
see in the pits @ Lime Rock Park.

A typical half-inch 18v cordless impact wrench gives about the same
torque as an "average" half inch drive pneumatic. That's enough for
most use on cars.

Since nobody said it, do _not_ use an impact wrench to _tighten_ lug
nuts (or any other fastener) unless it's a tool that is designed for
the purpose and has the necessary torque control or unless you are
using a purpose-made torque limiter with it. You can get a set of
torque-limiting extensions from Harbor Fright for about 60 bucks--how
accurate they are I have no idea--personally I use a torque wrench
unless I'm on the road fixing a flat.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27, 4:46*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"John" wrote

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. *I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

No LI-on batteries, but the DeWalt 18v is still the most ubiquitous cordless
drill I see in use on construction sites in this neck of the woods, with
Ridgid actually showing up quite frequently among the South 'O the Border
types recently.

These guys make a living with their tools, so I've always considered that to
be one of the best endorsements for a tool you can find.

I have a DeWalt, and four batteries ... it replaced a Makita about 10 years
ago, and has been trouble free the entire time, despite numerous unscheduled
flights off 8' ladders.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I am a true believer in quality. I own some pieces that would indicate
that.
BUT.
Cordless drills are becoming weird to me. When I can buy a case with a
Hitachi 1/2"/18v drill/2 batteries and fast charger for $ 89.00, the
EXACT same price as a replacement battery for my trusty Milwaukee
14.4v...then I am starting to think the whole thing is about
'disposables'. Throw away the Zippo, go for the BIC. (Besides, no more
skin rashes on the thigh after overfilling the Zippo...so I'm told.)
I bought one of those Hitachis and tossed it in one of the delivery
trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was
100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)

I don't like the whole disposable concept, but anytime I can move a
tool from the capital to the expense column, I will do so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was
100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)

Isn't a matter of survival? Even before I started using this wheelchair,
whatever vehicle I was driving always had a basic set of tools in the trunk.
Since I was contracting at the time, that basic set included a saw, hammer
chisels, screw drivers and some mechanics tools. Nowadays with the chair, I
have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair. With what I carry as
survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 3:01*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was
100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)

Isn't a matter of survival? Even before I started using this wheelchair,
whatever vehicle I was driving always had a basic set of tools in the trunk.
Since I was contracting at the time, that basic set included a saw, hammer
chisels, screw drivers and some mechanics tools. Nowadays with the chair, I
have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair. With what I carry as
survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes. *

LOL. Don't those 4 axle stands look suspicious?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
Isn't a matter of survival? Even before I started using this wheelchair,
whatever vehicle I was driving always had a basic set of tools in the trunk.
Since I was contracting at the time, that basic set included a saw, hammer
chisels, screw drivers and some mechanics tools. Nowadays with the chair, I
have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair. With what I carry as
survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes.

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the
repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations.
Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio
cables, and even guitar gear.

20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players
out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra
cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to
carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:55:33 -0600, Swingman cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

How well do your batteries hold up? I'm on my second set of batteries in
both my Milwaukee and Porter Cable. The PC is about 10 years old, the
Milwaukee 5. Both sets of batteries are getting weak again. I do try to
cycle them across the chargers every several weeks, but I don't coddle
them
by bringing them into the house when the weather gets hot.

They get enough use that they get re-built after about three years after
purchase, once that's done with the heftier battery packs, I get much more
life, more power, and a lot more time between charges.

I've got' em on rotation now so that I don't need to re-build but one every
two years. Part of maintenance costs, but not a big part to make a
difference for the convenience.

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 3:16*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Upscale wrote:
[...]

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

HA! Extra $750,000 bus needed for ego alone. A million dollar bus for
the drummer?? KIDDING!!!
A friend of mine was playing a gig and while on stage, somebody took a
whole bunch of stuff from the trailer. All stuff like you mentioned.
Repair stuff. The band was very upset that the 'fix-anything-kit' was
gone. They suddenly felt very insecure. (I told them NOT to put the
band's logo and graphics all over the damn trailer... "good stuff in
here... steal me steal me...")
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair.
survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes.

LOL. Don't those 4 axle stands look suspicious?

Nah! If somebody asks, I explain that they're so I can see above the crowd.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:50:21 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

...(Besides, no more skin rashes on the thigh after overfilling the
Zippo...)

I thought I was the only one that suffered from that. How come nobody
ever talked about it back in the day?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
(I told them NOT to put the
band's logo and graphics all over the damn trailer... "good stuff in
here... steal me steal me...")

There are guys all over Nashville with gear brand stickers all over
their cars. I never got that. I tell them they might as well have a
sticker saying, "Here's what's inside for you to steal!"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the
repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations.
Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio
cables, and even guitar gear.

20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players
out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra
cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to
carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadie_(film)

Serve with two cases of Shiner, iced down, and back to back with "Spinal
Tap" and "The Commitments".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?

www.primecell.com
www.voltmanbatteries.com

Prices have now gone up since, but voltman re-built my two oldest 18v's
earlier this year for $70.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 4:14*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the
repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations.
Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio
cables, and even guitar gear.

20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players
out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra
cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to
carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadie_(film)

Serve with two cases of Shiner, iced down, and back to back with "Spinal
Tap" and "The Commitments".

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I absolutely love The Commitments. So close to my heart.
So is Still Crazy... but on a different level.
Tap is a bit contrived..IMHO. I still like though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:38:36 -0500, J. Clarke cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

B A R R Y wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote
[...]

More like a typical 18v cordless impact will deliver somewhere around 1/2
the torque of a typical 1/2 drive pnuematic. Most 1/2" pnuematics will
deliver around 600 ft/lbs of torque - thereabouts. Fairly typical of 18v
cordless is in the 300 ft/lbs range.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the
repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations.
Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio
cables, and even guitar gear.

20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players
out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra
cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to
carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)

I never went on the road. But I worked in a lot of "musical" environments.
Including recording studios. I always had very complete tool kits and some
basic supplies. And could fix a lot of things that others could not because
of it.

Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our scientific
calculators. It was amazing the number of guys who would need another
battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to supply them free of
charge. They got upset with me when I charged them at least triple the
going rate.

But every guy who had that happen to him stocked up on batteries. The
teachers approved because they could teach it but the students wouldn't do
it. A little test stress battery situation drove the point home.