Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cordless drill recommendations?

Swingman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadie_(film)

Serve with two cases of Shiner, iced down, and back to back with "Spinal
Tap" and "The Commitments".

I can't believe I haven't seen that movie.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?

www.primecell.com
www.voltmanbatteries.com

Prices have now gone up since, but voltman re-built my two oldest 18v's
earlier this year for $70.

If you're handy with the soldering iron, those cells can be found with
welded-on tabs for wire connections.
Helps you rebuild a laptop battery and save 60-75 bucks on 100.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our
scientific calculators. It was amazing the number of guys who would
need another battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to
supply them free of charge. They got upset with me when I charged
them at least triple the going rate.

Is the going rate for on site availability of a 9VDC battery still
$10.00 or is it up to $20.00 these days?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our
scientific calculators. It was amazing the number of guys who would need
another battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to supply them
free of charge. They got upset with me when I charged them at least
triple the going rate.

Is the going rate for on site availability of a 9VDC battery still $10.00
or is it up to $20.00 these days?

It was over 25 years ago. I kinda charged what the market would bear. But
the tighter the situation, the more the battery cost.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 8:08*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our
scientific calculators. *It was amazing the number of guys who would need
another battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to supply them
free of charge. *They got upset with me when I charged them at least
triple the going rate.

Is the going rate for on site availability *of a 9VDC battery still $10.00
or is it up to $20.00 these days?

It was over 25 years ago. *I kinda charged what the market would bear. *But
the tighter the situation, the more the battery cost.

Was it you who wanted $ 5.00 to light that doobie back in Vegas....
1969??

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Was it you who wanted $ 5.00 to light that doobie back in Vegas....
1969??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhhh...., the Doobie Scenario.

I always noticed that when a stoner pulled out one of those things, he
became very disorganized trying to find some fire. Sooooo....., I got
myself some lighters and began closely observing my environment. When I saw
the handrolled item being produced, I pounced with lighter in hand. The
folks with the herb ware usually so grateful, they shared their herbal
bounty with me.

Soooo....., I ran a Doobie Lighting Service. Didn't charge for it though.
But I did share.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 10:46*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" *wrote

Was it you who wanted $ 5.00 to light that doobie back in Vegas....
1969??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhhh...., *the Doobie Scenario.

I always noticed that when a stoner pulled out one of those things, he
became very disorganized trying to find some fire. Sooooo....., *I got
myself some lighters and began closely observing my environment. When I saw
the handrolled item being produced, I pounced with lighter in hand. *The
folks with the herb ware usually so grateful, they shared their herbal
bounty with me.

Soooo....., I ran a Doobie Lighting Service. Didn't charge for it though.
But I did share.

We may have met. Not as the doober, but maybe as the doobee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:49:02 -0800, jo4hn
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John" wrote:

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I had an 18VDC DeWalt for almost 10 years until it got legs.

Beat the crap out of it.

It didn't owe me anything when it left.

Have been told Panasonic has a good unit, no personal experience.

Lew

I have had the Panasonic 15.6v for about eight years and it has been a
jewel. Rebuilt the batteries a couple years ago (Primecell) but no
other problems (accompanied by the sound of me knocking on wood).
whoopie,
jo4hn

I started using Panasonic many years ago...went through 4 permutations
of their drill motors and loved all but one that didn't "feel" quite
right (but sure worked reeeeely good)...my love affair ended with a
15.5 battery purchase that went bad (dealer couldn't get a new one
from the Panasonic rep...never mind that I'd spent thousands in their
store over the years and they shoulda made it good themselves)...,
however, now that I hear from you guys about rebuilding batterys,
well, those Panasonics are gonna get back on-line soon! I'm just now
experiencing the demise of my 3 LI's in my Makita kit...love the kit,
hate the batteries. What a pain, even though I own several DeWalt
tools, and they all work well and have good life to them...I just
don't like what is to me crucial to having a good field kit, the saw.
First kit I bought was a DeWalt 14 volt setup and it's since been
relegated to the shop because I went to a Milwaukee rig 'cause the saw
was better...then I sold that to a buddy (prolly shouldn't've) and
went to the Makita LI setup (impact,3-way drill,nice saw,great
sawzall...all these are pretty bitchin'...but the batteries are
suckin'!)...sigh, I can't seem to get this part of my act sweet...

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message
went to the Makita LI setup (impact,3-way drill,nice saw,great
sawzall...all these are pretty bitchin'...but the batteries are
suckin'!)...sigh, I can't seem to get this part of my act sweet...

A few months back about the time I was looking at purchasing some 18v
cordless tools, I had a dealer friend order me a Makita trim router. It
wasn't until three weeks later they decided to tell him that the router I'd
ordered had been discontinued. It ****ed me off that they'd been willing to
let me sit for three weeks before letting us know and that had a significant
effect on my decision to buy DeWalt from then on.

While cost sometimes plays a factor in my purchases, I'm much more likely to
buy from the company gives me the service I want in a timely manner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:31:23 -0600, -MIKE- cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

Swingman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?

www.primecell.com
www.voltmanbatteries.com

Prices have now gone up since, but voltman re-built my two oldest 18v's
earlier this year for $70.

If you're handy with the soldering iron, those cells can be found with
welded-on tabs for wire connections.
Helps you rebuild a laptop battery and save 60-75 bucks on 100.

That's really what I'm looking for. I haven't invested the time to figure
out where to get the best quality batteries from, and I thought Swing was
rebuilding his own, and had found a good source for the cells.

If anyone has any experience and input on a good source that they've used,
I'd be interested. I have a couple of DeWalt batteries and a couple of
laptop batteries that I need to rebuild.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27, 4:29*pm, John wrote:
I'm in the market for a cordless drill

Years ago I bought the Sears 14.4 and later bought the C-3 19.2 volt
drill (the latter came with a demolition saw, small skillsaw" sander
and light).

I have enjoyed them and the tourque they both offeer. The 19.2 C-3 is
the more powerful. It will use the 14.4 or 19.2 batteries and the
cahrger will "do" either the 14.4 or the 19.2. I paid less than $180
for the 19.2 C-3 set which came with a bage that holds all the tools
(nice when traveling!) and have no complaints at all.

I've used the DeWalt 18 volt years back and like it for its
compactness, but not the price.

One of the 14.4 batteries has lost it recently (nearly five years of
use) and I can't seem to find any replacement batteries for it -
anyone know of a way to REBUILD THEM?

Anyway, for the money, the C-3 from Sears offers the best deal as one
set of batteries works for all the tools you might want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cordless drill recommendations? -- follow up

Went out browsing today and looked at -- and hefted -- drills from
Makita, Dewalt, Bosch and Hitachi. Dewalt has a model 720, 18-v
LI-ion, that's remarkably compact and comfortable. On-line reviews
seem to give it high marks with no negatives, and the price is right
in line with the other brands. I think my mind is just about made up.
Thanks for all the input.

Reply-to address is real
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27, 1:29*pm, John wrote:
I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others
like/dislike. *I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries. *

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted
a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems
with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. *Both
problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some
are not. *So *I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll
probably get one without either of the problems. *But I'm wondering
what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real
John

I still have my original Porter Cable 14V that I had when I opened
Future Collectibles ten years ago. The batteries still hold a good
charge and I still use it. I have also obtained an 18V DeWalt and am
very pleased with it as well.

Jummy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 05:31:42 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message
went to the Makita LI setup (impact,3-way drill,nice saw,great
sawzall...all these are pretty bitchin'...but the batteries are
suckin'!)...sigh, I can't seem to get this part of my act sweet...

A few months back about the time I was looking at purchasing some 18v
cordless tools, I had a dealer friend order me a Makita trim router. It
wasn't until three weeks later they decided to tell him that the router I'd
ordered had been discontinued. It ****ed me off that they'd been willing to
let me sit for three weeks before letting us know and that had a significant
effect on my decision to buy DeWalt from then on.

While cost sometimes plays a factor in my purchases, I'm much more likely to
buy from the company gives me the service I want in a timely manner.

....all things being *almost* equal, you've got a point there.

cg