Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - another car buying question

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

But it's a Prius. Only has a relatively tiny battery. A full electric car
battery would be a lot more.

Ah, thanks. A spot of googling suggests $2.5 - $3k

It also turned up this:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2015/0...tteries-being-
targeted-by-car-thieves/

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

It's not a car that makes sense for private use used.

A colleague who came to join us at my workplace brought his LHD Pious
with him, he liked it so much. From Hawai'i.

He said the shipping, import duties, mods, registration, etc. cost him
over 4k quid.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 03:40 6 Dec 2016, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 00:18:28 UTC, bm wrote:

You certainyl did do their job for them but you're not
getting a cut. The saleman must think you're a mug.

Nope, the salesman KNOWS he's a mug, as do we.
Mind you, I don't believe the story for a second.

I never lie.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy9qUGEXEAQSocU.jpg

Simon, you're not pretending to parade your foolishness; you really
are foolish.

A child could have got a discount on a cash purchase for a car.

Not necessarily with a car in high demand with the delivery
6 months in advance, when the salesman knows that he can
flog as many as are produced at the list price.

You must be every salesman's delight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 05/12/2016 17:55, GB wrote:

Quite. Although buying an ex lease or whatever car at auction - where it
has simply reached the age and mileage where a main dealer won't want it
as used stock - can be a good deal. But you need to get it at auction
price rather than from a bomb site dealer who has given it a valet and
doubled the price.

I bought my car at auction. 3 years old and 30k miles. It had just come
off lease. I bought it for almost exactly 30% of list price. The only
flaw with the car was that some ******* had taken one of the keys, and
flogged it on ebay for £20. Getting a new one cost £200.

What use is a key without the car ?.

Bought by someone who needs one for their car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

It's not a car that makes sense for private use used.

A colleague who came to join us at my workplace brought his LHD Pious
with him, he liked it so much. From Hawai'i.

He said the shipping, import duties, mods, registration, etc. cost him
over 4k quid.

If you already have one, fine. But because of the demand from taxi
drivers, they are poor value used. And that's before you consider people
thinking you're a cab. ;-)

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 18:21:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Not necessarily with a car in high demand with the delivery
6 months in advance, when the salesman knows that he can
flog as many as are produced at the list price.

I told our lass that the chances of a second hand 2.0l petrol in black with 18'' wheels coming on to the market in 2019 was nil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not necessarily with a car in high demand with the delivery
6 months in advance, when the salesman knows that he can
flog as many as are produced at the list price.

I told our lass that the chances of a second hand 2.0l petrol in
black with 18'' wheels coming on to the market in 2019 was nil.

And she should have told you that paying £10Ks to get
exactly that config at that time is just plain barking mad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 06:03:21 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not necessarily with a car in high demand with the delivery
6 months in advance, when the salesman knows that he can
flog as many as are produced at the list price.

I told our lass that the chances of a second hand 2.0l petrol in
black with 18'' wheels coming on to the market in 2019 was nil.

And she should have told you that paying £10Ks to get
exactly that config at that time is just plain barking mad.

Yes, there could have been a pink diesel with flowered seats come up in Sep 2017 for £20000.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 06:03:21 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not necessarily with a car in high demand with the delivery
6 months in advance, when the salesman knows that he can
flog as many as are produced at the list price.

I told our lass that the chances of a second hand 2.0l petrol in
black with 18'' wheels coming on to the market in 2019 was nil.

And she should have told you that paying £10Ks to get
exactly that config at that time is just plain barking mad.

Yes, there could have been a pink diesel with
flowered seats come up in Sep 2017 for £20000.

Unlikely that that will be the only one available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 12:00:22 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

Some build in, say, 5% or 10% on the price as negotiating room.

Any rule of thumb for used vehicles in the £10-15k range?

I realised that it is a long time since I bought a car.

Cheers

Dave R

---

I buy my cars around a year old from a dealer, ex demo cars.
These have low mileage, have not been thrashed and there is an upper limit on price. Typically they are 25% less than new.
And there is often manufacturers guarantee on them.
My last car had done just over 300 miles when I bought it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 16:33:33 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 5 December 2016 12:00:22 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

I am paying the full £32000 for my 2017 ALFA Giulia as there is zero wriggle room.

You really are brain dead.
There is ample wriggle room.
https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-...petrol-saloon/

Only £29,000 here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 20:56:54 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 5 December 2016 20:41:21 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

I did their job for them.
I walked in, told them the spec I wanted, paid the £5000 deposit and went home.
The quickest sale he's ever made.

Should have gone to driver the deal etc.

It is not a Ford Fiesta churned out of a sausage factory sitting in a wet field in Lincolnshire, but an Italian masterpiece built to order.

It's a rapidly deteriorating, overpriced, Eyty rot box.
Which you have paid far too much for.
The brain dead and their money are easy parted.
Ten seconds Googling:-
https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-...petrol-saloon/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:

I did their job for them.
I walked in, told them the spec I wanted, paid the £5000 deposit and went home.
The quickest sale he's ever made.

Should have gone to driver the deal etc.

It is not a Ford Fiesta churned out of a sausage factory sitting in a wet field in Lincolnshire, but an Italian masterpiece built to order.

It's a rapidly deteriorating, overpriced, Eyty rot box.
Which you have paid far too much for.
The brain dead and their money are easy parted.
Ten seconds Googling:-
https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-...petrol-saloon/

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

Some build in, say, 5% or 10% on the price as negotiating room.

Any rule of thumb for used vehicles in the £10-15k range?

I realised that it is a long time since I bought a car.

Cheers

Dave R

---

I buy my cars around a year old from a dealer, ex demo cars.
These have low mileage, have not been thrashed and there is an upper
limit on price. Typically they are 25% less than new.
And there is often manufacturers guarantee on them.
My last car had done just over 300 miles when I bought it.

The one I am interested in is around £44k new, and even £33k as ex-demo is
well outside my intended price range.

About 3 times my price range, roughly.

So new or nearly new is not an option.

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old, because the
major depreciation has already happened and you don't pay a premium for
all the optional extras.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:35:58 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old, because the
major depreciation has already happened and you don't pay a premium for
all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's reputation so you can get a £24000 car for £12000 after 3 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:

I did their job for them.
I walked in, told them the spec I wanted, paid the £5000 deposit
and went home.
The quickest sale he's ever made.

Should have gone to driver the deal etc.

It is not a Ford Fiesta churned out of a sausage factory sitting in a
wet field in Lincolnshire, but an Italian masterpiece built to order.

It's a rapidly deteriorating, overpriced, Eyty rot box.
Which you have paid far too much for.
The brain dead and their money are easy parted.
Ten seconds Googling:-
https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-...petrol-saloon/

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Farking hell, that is a stupid price to pay for those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
David WE Roberts (Google) wrote

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old,
because the major depreciation has already happened and
you don't pay a premium for all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's
reputation so you can get a £24000 car for £12000 after 3 years.

But you are too stupid to do that with the Giulia.

And spent more than you paid for it fixing the current one too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 17:32:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Farking hell, that is a stupid price to pay for those.

Forgot metallic paint at £700 and run flat tyres as well, so £2000 is looking cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 18:32:46 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
David WE Roberts (Google) wrote

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old,
because the major depreciation has already happened and
you don't pay a premium for all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's
reputation so you can get a £24000 car for £12000 after 3 years.

But you are too stupid to do that with the Giulia.

And spent more than you paid for it fixing the current one too.

I follow 1000's of new Fiestas, Corsas, Fiats, Kias and other poxy £10000 cars about and they are not a patch on my 159. I get one up my arse in a 30mph and when it hits 60, I leave the *******s in the dust with the handling and superior 0-60, saying "Let's see Michael Bloody Schumacher do that.."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Farking hell, that is a stupid price to pay for those.

Forgot metallic paint at £700

You're buying black, stupid.

and run flat tyres as well, so £2000 is looking cheap.

Insane price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
David WE Roberts (Google) wrote

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years
old, because the major depreciation has already happened
and you don't pay a premium for all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's
reputation so you can get a £24000 car for £12000 after 3 years.

But you are too stupid to do that with the Giulia.

And spent more than you paid for it fixing the current one too.

I follow 1000's of new Fiestas, Corsas, Fiats, Kias and other
poxy £10000 cars about and they are not a patch on my 159.

Irrelevant to the stupid amount of money you
paid to fix that steaming turd with wheels.

And you'll have to pay even more to fix the Giulia,
and will have paid the full price plus more for it too.

I get one up my arse in a 30mph and when it hits 60, I leave
the *******s in the dust with the handling and superior 0-60,
saying "Let's see Michael Bloody Schumacher do that."

You can do that in much more viably priced cars that arent steaming
turds with wheels that need almost everything replaced at immense cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes
On Monday, 5 December 2016 12:00:22 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

Some build in, say, 5% or 10% on the price as negotiating room.

Any rule of thumb for used vehicles in the £10-15k range?

I realised that it is a long time since I bought a car.

Cheers

Dave R

---

I buy my cars around a year old from a dealer, ex demo cars.
These have low mileage, have not been thrashed and there is an upper
limit on price. Typically they are 25% less than new.
And there is often manufacturers guarantee on them.
My last car had done just over 300 miles when I bought it.

Mine had 10 (ten) on it. - mind you it was a Landrover Defender in
Birmingham. Never been out the showroom. About £4k of list price
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 09:26:07 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:35:58 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old, because the
major depreciation has already happened and you don't pay a premium for
all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's reputation

I thought the price still plummeted because they were still ****e.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:35:58 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old, because the
major depreciation has already happened and you don't pay a premium for
all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's reputation

I thought the price still plummeted because they were still ****e.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In the past we have bought top specification at 3-4 years old, because
the
major depreciation has already happened and you don't pay a premium
for
all the optional extras.

That is why I buy ALFA - plummets like a stone due to 1970's reputation

I thought the price still plummeted because they were still ****e.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

Says nothing useful about how much of it still has to be
replaced because its a steaming turd with wheels, still.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

I am paying the full £32000 for my 2017 ALFA Giulia as there is zero
wriggle
room.

You should at least buy a spare for weekends.

It's only a 3-seater, really, as you have to set one seat aside for the
full-time mechanic you need.

I feel sure he could pay 32k if he tried.
He's just fooling around.

Thing is, it'll rot while he's cruising the globe.
I wonder if he could trade it in (or maybe a few of them) towards the QE2 or
maybe save the Illustrious.
Now there is parallel madness for you, we don't have carrier cover until
2020.
Absolute brilliance. Almost as crazy as the Mason ****.

whisky-dave will know, i'm sure. He's "well-up" on this kinda thing along
with florrie tubes and traics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message news

"GB" wrote in message
news
wrote:
[...]

Oh, and steam catapults -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-Iv9Js-1I

I believe he's also the brains behind the Phalanx weapons system -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L0ZAGOuaqg

for which we can't afford bullets until we exit the eu.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message news

"bm" wrote in message news

"GB" wrote in message
news
wrote:
[...]

And Corbyn is saying -
Jeremy Corbyn hails Fidel Castro as a 'champion of social justice'
Jeremy Corbyn drops plans for Shadow Cabinet elections
Jeremy Corbyn is no leader. He's not even interested in unifying our party
LMFAO.

Dave may have a problem here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 01:43:47 UTC, bm wrote:

I wonder if he could trade it in (or maybe a few of them) towards the QE2 or
maybe save the Illustrious.

Done!

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull-...ail/story.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 19:18:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Farking hell, that is a stupid price to pay for those.

Forgot metallic paint at £700

You're buying black, stupid.

and run flat tyres as well, so £2000 is looking cheap.

Insane price.

Test car optional extras: Assistance pack (£2,100), ceramic brakes (£9,375), Audi hands-free boot opening system with Advanced key (£750), Speed limit display (£250), parking pack (£810), RS Sport suspension plus with Dynamic Ride Control (£1,000), Panoramic glass sunroof (£1,300), Audi Connect and Audi Phone Box (£750)

Read mo http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...#ixzz4SE0gIfMw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only a fool buys that **** or any Alfa.

Read mo
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...#ixzz4SE0gIfMw

No thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 20:26:25 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
harry writes
[...]

I was told the price you pay for it in these circumstances is what the dealer paid.
ie, his profit margin is the difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Mindlessly simplistic. Dealers do what they always do,
get what they believe they can get out of the buyer.

Yes, sometimes that is what they paid for it, so they
dont have to keep paying to have it sit on the floor.

You dont seriously believe that dealers pay
cash for all the cars on the floor do you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 08:23, harry wrote:

I buy my cars around a year old from a dealer, ex demo cars.
These have low mileage, have not been thrashed and there is an upper
limit on price. Typically they are 25% less than new.
And there is often manufacturers guarantee on them.
My last car had done just over 300 miles when I bought it.

Mine had 10 (ten) on it. - mind you it was a Landrover Defender in
Birmingham. Never been out the showroom. About £4k of list price
--
bert

I was told the price you pay for it in these circumstances is what the dealer paid.
ie, his profit margin is the difference.

Its quite simple..

the dealer has a target set by the manufacturer, if he meets that target
the dealer gets a discount on *all* the cars he has sold that period.
So if the dealer is just short of his target he has three options..

Do nothing and lose the extra discount on *all* the cars he has sold.

Pre register some cars and pretend they have been sold as required.

Give a buyer a good discount (maybe even less than cost) to ensure the sale.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 08:47:53 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Mindlessly simplistic. Dealers do what they always do,
get what they believe they can get out of the buyer.

After I paid him the £5000, he said that I would get a free bottle of wine with it. So I said I will still have to pay the VED for six months and you will put 2 litres of petrol in it.

"Don't be cheeky".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Mindlessly simplistic. Dealers do what they always do,
get what they believe they can get out of the buyer.

After I paid him the £5000, he said that I would get a free
bottle of wine with it. So I said I will still have to pay the
VED for six months and you will put 2 litres of petrol in it.

You say that before paying anything.

"Don't be cheeky".

Is he a wog ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 22:22:08 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 19:18:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not leather seats or 18in wheels which adds on another £2000.

Farking hell, that is a stupid price to pay for those.

Forgot metallic paint at £700

You're buying black, stupid.

and run flat tyres as well, so £2000 is looking cheap.

Insane price.

Test car optional extras: Assistance pack (£2,100), ceramic brakes (£9,375), Audi hands-free boot opening system with Advanced key (£750), Speed limit display (£250), parking pack (£810), RS Sport suspension plus with Dynamic Ride Control (£1,000), Panoramic glass sunroof (£1,300), Audi Connect and Audi Phone Box (£750)

I realise that you can afford all of those optional extras and have them fitted
on your car.

I could just not afford such.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 09:21:13 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Mindlessly simplistic. Dealers do what they always do,
get what they believe they can get out of the buyer.

After I paid him the £5000, he said that I would get a free
bottle of wine with it. So I said I will still have to pay the
VED for six months and you will put 2 litres of petrol in it.

You say that before paying anything.

"Don't be cheeky".

Is he a wog ?

He looked a bit like Bernard Bresslaw, so probably Weimar Republic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 09:21:13 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Mindlessly simplistic. Dealers do what they always do,
get what they believe they can get out of the buyer.

After I paid him the £5000, he said that I would get a free
bottle of wine with it. So I said I will still have to pay the
VED for six months and you will put 2 litres of petrol in it.

You say that before paying anything.

"Don't be cheeky".

Is he a wog ?

He looked a bit like Bernard Bresslaw, so probably Weimar Republic.

Unlikely that one of those would be flogging Italian cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Breslau is now Wrocław, so he could have worked for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polski_Fiat