Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Passing gas

I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 23:21, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!

You say gas goes through, but you cannot light it? That doesn't sound
right. I once fixed a similar fire, after a summer of disuse, it would
only light with a long gas lighter but not stay alight when the button
was released, I thought initially that it was the thermocouple broken ,
but it turned out that the pilot light was too small to get the
thermocouple to operate. Upon dismantling to get to the pilot light jet
I discovered the reamins of a tiny spider in the air gas mixer venturi
above the jet, cleaned that out and all was well. So in your case it is
probably a similar fault, take it to bits, clean it all and reassemble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:21:00 -0800 (PST), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!

Subject line reminds of someone I knew at university, who had a
classmate at school who had the most rotten farts and spent three
months collecting all his farts while in the bath to release during
the end of term school assembly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!

Check the wire to the piezo igniter and makes sure the electrode is
clean and there no dirt that the spark can track back to earth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through
but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a
lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to
look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch
got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had
completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!

Check the wire to the piezo igniter and makes sure the electrode is
clean and there no dirt that the spark can track back to earth.

How?

If the insulator between the central electrode and the casing of the heater
is dirty, electricity can leak over a low(ish) resistance path through the
dirt instead of causing a nice fat spark. Maybe clean the electrode and
insulator with WD40 to clean off any grot and also remove any moisture -
it's the same principle as trying to get a car started on a damp foggy
morning.

I'm worried about "I can not get the flame lit with a lighter" because that
makes me wonder if gas is even getting to the pilot light, irrespective of
how you ignite that gas (spark or match flame).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

I would expect it to be difficult to get a lighter flame close enough to
the pilot light. Ideally a spill should be tried to see if the pilot is
working.
Also if it is anything like our gas fire knob controlling the desired
heat output has to be pushed down whilst trying to light. The OP might
not be aware of this either

Passing of Jim Williams Oppie[_5_] Electronic Schematics 0 June 16th 11 09:54 PM
Passing water Tim Downie[_3_] UK diy 13 January 24th 11 06:01 PM
Just passing by IdealWorld tv [email protected] UK diy 9 November 11th 09 03:00 PM
Just passing through BJ[_4_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 19 May 5th 08 03:17 PM
Passing of Another Icon George Woodturning 8 December 2nd 04 01:33 AM