Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Passing gas

NY wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Monday, 28 November 2016 19:08:06 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting
through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame
lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no
idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the
switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only
found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the
weekend.

Tis a ****er!

Check the wire to the piezo igniter and makes sure the electrode is
clean and there no dirt that the spark can track back to earth.

How?

If the insulator between the central electrode and the casing of the
heater is dirty, electricity can leak over a low(ish) resistance path
through the dirt instead of causing a nice fat spark. Maybe clean the
electrode and insulator with WD40 to clean off any grot and also remove
any moisture - it's the same principle as trying to get a car started on
a damp foggy morning.

I'm worried about "I can not get the flame lit with a lighter" because
that makes me wonder if gas is even getting to the pilot light,
irrespective of how you ignite that gas (spark or match flame).

I would expect it to be difficult to get a lighter flame close enough to
the pilot light. Ideally a spill should be tried to see if the pilot is
working.
Also if it is anything like our gas fire knob controlling the desired
heat output has to be pushed down whilst trying to light. The OP might
not be aware of this either